Samsung Galaxy Android - School a New Owner

TTQ B4U

Okay, so Chris and Jones beat me up and I caved. Went out and replaced my iPhone with an great Samsung Note 3. So far, I love it. Got it set up the way I want it and am investigating some apps.

What are your favorites? Please post them up and feel free to put in any tips and tricks too.

Thanks!

I prefer a stock android experience...that said, I'm currently running a Touchwiz based ROM on my Galaxy S4. But you can still download and give the new Google Experience Launcher a try. It's basically what KitKat on the new Nexus 5 looks like and is kind of neat. I think you can still use your Samsung Touchwiz widgets with it.

Edit: I forgot to say (it's probably in the link I posted), but you can download and try this out on a stock phone, no root or wizardry required. You MIGHT have to turn on developer options.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/13/google-search-receives-update-to-version-3-1-8-brings-new-cards-and-gel-to-android-4-1-devices/

Also, I really enjoy the Droid Life blog. Check it out from time to time. They do weekly features on apps that are on sale/are neat.

I use "radar alive pro" all the time to monitor incoming storms. isn't a weather app, but rather a very good radar map complete with in the field reports from storm chasers.

Pindrop, Swype pro, and color note are also apps I use daily.

If your into any day trading "stock quote" is good for technical charts.

I use "radar alive pro" all the time to monitor incoming storms. isn't a weather app, but rather a very good radar map complete with in the field reports from storm chasers.

Pindrop, Swype pro, and color note are also apps I use daily.

If your into any day trading "stock quote" is good for technical charts.

Swype and Swiftkey suck. The Samsung keyboard is REALLY good, with the "Google Keyboard" being 2nd best.

I use Chrome, Hangouts, iHeartRadio, and Waze daily.

I installed swype pro because for me the default keyboard's swype function would not train to my usage at all. I use it for work and filling out work orders and it couldn't even learn to input my most common things so I replaced it with one that I knew how to customize.

Notepad, flashlight, MP3 music downloader, weather channel, I've used Yelp once or twice. I use Handcent SMS only because I've used it for years and it was always better than the default messenger. Galaxy S3

I installed swype pro because for me the default keyboard's swype function would not train to my usage at all. I use it for work and filling out work orders and it couldn't even learn to input my most common things so I replaced it with one that I knew how to customize.

Swype Pro? Whatever this is, I need it. I always use the default swype just because it's so much faster than trying to type out each letter/word with my fat fingers, but gat dayum does it fuck up a lot. I swear to God if I try to type "and" and it comes up as "abs" one more fucking time...

But yeah, I'll give this Pro thing a shot.

Edit: I couldn't find any app called Swype Pro, but I did figure out how to delete "abs" and other bullshit words from the dictionary

Okay, so Chris and Jones beat me up and I caved. Went out and replaced my iPhone with an great Samsung Note 3. So far, I love it. Got it set up the way I want it and am investigating some apps.

What are your favorites? Please post them up and feel free to put in any tips and tricks too.

Thanks!

What's really important here is not that someone replaced our Tim with a pod person, but that he was beat up by Chris and Jones. Jones is already on my shit list for picking on the elderly.

I prefer a stock android experience

I'm the same way. So the more stock Google/Android apps, the better the user experience and the lighter/faster the device runs because it's not loaded with OEM and carrier apps. Unfortunately a lot of the Samsung apps are tied into Touchwiz so there's no getting rid of them without root.

The Google Keyboard is the best keyboard I've used. Accurate, has swype like typing and it's free. It has a good dictionary and predictive typing with emoji support.

I used to be a die hard Handcent SMS fan, until about a year ago when I switched to the stock Android SMS app. Much better user interface, runs smoother, and unlike handcent, I never had issues downloading MMS'. Recently Google updated the Hangouts app to send SMS and it's even better than the stock android SMS app. It's similar to the iOS SMS app now, where you can make video calls and see when people are typing and what they have read (like iMessages).

So my suggestions.

Google Keyboard

Google Hangouts

Also, try to use Google Now to it's full potential. It's a very powerful tool that I feel is often under utilized. Set your home and work address in there and turn on all the features. It's amazing the info it will give you, especially if you travel a lot.

...but I did figure out how to delete "abs" and other bullshit words from the dictionary

¿HOW?

It's not like it was on my EVO where you highlight the word, hold the "squiggle", and then delete it. Now, it appears that there is a list of words that you can edit or delete from. Not all of the words are in there though :mad:

Also, try to use Google Now to it's full potential. It's a very powerful tool that I feel is often under utilized. Set your home and work address in there and turn on all the features. It's amazing the info it will give you, especially if you travel a lot.

THIS

And use the google now voice to text or just voice to search feature. It's amazing, it blows Svoice and Siri out of the water, it can get full paragraphs in a noisy environment for me.

Oh, Google Opinion Rewards is a good one. Google pays you to take surveys. No spam, just a notification that pops up on your phone.

Will have to look into it. Thanks!

THIS

And use the google now voice to text or just voice to search feature. It's amazing, it blows Svoice and Siri out of the water, it can get full paragraphs in a noisy environment for me.

I'm already making good use of it. I never really used Siri. I used the google app. It was on the desktop of my iPhone. The dictation on the iPhone was good. Had some issues with no wifi to support it but overall good.

Here's my new 6" iPhone thanks to the Neo Hybrid in Satin Silver :gabe:

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/Temp%20Pics/screens_zpscaa6a374.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/Temp%20Pics/SidebySide_zpsb07b7380.jpg