Next Spring we're going Racin! What do I need?

99StockGT

Alright so by spring the new little project car is going to be ready to hit the tracks and I may actually have the free time to get it out more than once a month. Given this is something I've never really done before I'de like to ask some advice from those who have.

Car is built for a mix of Auto-X and Drag so I'll be hoping to hit a good mix of both. What are requirements/recommendations for myself and for my car? Where is the usual point where you don't drive to and from the event and find yourself needing a trailer? What parts do you all typically take with you to the track? Safety equipment? At what point do most people get into the firesuit situation and NOT look like idiots? To this point the fastest I've ever had to deal with have been helmet cars, the new one should be pushing into the low 12s high 11s.

From what I've read sounds like I'm in for a treat on yet another expensive hobby.

Autox is a low-cost, grassroot-level form of motorsport. It can be taken to all kinds of different levels but it's not the initial spirit. Safety equipment which comes with the car and a helmet meeting the club requirements are all that's needed.

During the race day, the car will be inspected and it will have to be mechanically sound; no loose battery, leak, and everything has to be in order. The car should be free of loose item which may hit occupant, create damage, or ejected from the car.

Adorning a firesuit at an autox may invoke stare and quiet chuckles.

From a car setup standpoint autocross and drag are vastly different though depending on the car some mods may end up being the same. The best thing for autocross is seat time, just go out and do it, the biggest variable is the nut behind the wheel(you!!). Establish how the car behaves and that will tell you what to modify.

I typically brought with me to autocross nothing more than a tire pressure gauge, but it's good to have some basic tools with in case something goes wrong with your car. With SCCA and a lot of other groups you will need a "Snell" rated helmet so make sure it has that rating.

Thanks for the feedback guys, figured we have a pretty good group of AutoXers here that would toss me a bone. Last comment first, I have a Snell helmet already that's certainly not a problem. I guess what I was more concerned with is how often broken/spent at a day of racing?

The car I'll be running was origional designed to be running in pretty much a stock class however I think I have managed to over work this thing so god only knows what class I'll be in now. Guess I'll find out on race day #1!

I guess what I'm worrid about are brakes/tires/etc how well they hold up over an event and whether or not it's something people swap. From what I can tell the class I'll be in will open up many tire options beyond just what I would usually drive on the street so bringing another set of wheels/tires to run in might make sense. Same thing with the drag strip.

Anyone who knows me knows I don't mind a few stares and chuckles :)

• 2 weeks later...
On this subject I DO plan on taking the mustang back to Trails this spring and it IS topless, am I still up against the roll cage rule for under a 13.5?

Yupp.

Autocross is a blast I'll be out with the cobra this coming year. It's addicting be warned.

Oh I'm well aware of the addiction, it's going to be more of a question on how much time I can get away from work to make it to events. My biggest concern is that I've worked this thing far enough to be in a class I won't be competitive in...either from the car not being THAT good or the driver not being up to snuff

I know the feeling, I sit squarely in SM and am not competitive at all without a lot more upgrades and the best ones move me to CP and I'm not building the car to that level at all.

I'll be in the same boat with the BRZ; solidly in SM and not at all competitive. But, to paraphrase the Joker: It's not about winning. It's about having a good time.

It's not about winning. It's about having a good time.

Indeed.

Another thing to bear in mind is Classing really only counts if you race with the SCCA exclusively.

All the other clubs is pretty much an "X Class" where everyone gets tossed into a bucket, makes for an interesting field of player.

That's what they do down here with the SCCA, if your like me and the only car in the class you get lumped together with all the others in the "street tire" class and Pax'd that way, which means against BRZ's and such which are quite a bit faster on these tight courses.

So I just do it for the fun of it until I build or get a class competitive car.

Oh I'm sure I'll have a good time, not worried about that in the least. Though my compeitive spirit in me knows that I won't come out and knock down fastest pass of the day kind of numbers...it would be nice!

On the "Street tire" conversation, does it make sense for me to run bigger/wider with some street radials or does that put me into a class I really don't want to play with? At the moment it's just running a pretty sticky set of stock sized tires, not sure how they'll hold up to corner slinging or the new setup.

This is why I came here, thanks for the convo so far!

Oh I'm well aware of the addiction, it's going to be more of a question on how much time I can get away from work to make it to events. My biggest concern is that I've worked this thing far enough to be in a class I won't be competitive in...either from the car not being THAT good or the driver not being up to snuff

I just have fun. Don't worry about being competive.

I'd take the stock-sized slicks over the oversized street radials, as far as autox goes.

Good idea, if he doesn't want to drive it on the street, or has a 2nd set of wheels. With the new 2014 SCCA rule changes, "stock" turning into street etc.

If he's modified that much, then it would change his classing again.

With my schedule being so random, I'm not going to be trying to conform to any SCCA classing, most of my time seems to be spent at random clubs events. I'm not really concerned with SCCA classing, so I can do whatever I want.

I just have fun. Don't worry about being competive.

Unfortunately I'm not very good at this. It's in my blood to be compete. That doesn't mean I have to be first every time out of the gate, but I like to know I'm in the running and doing well compaired to my peers. Character flaw maybe.

Jones, I feel like I'm going to be in a similar boat. With the amount of Saturdays I have to work currently I definitely won't make all of the events so maybe the attitude is just show up and run it as long as I have fun to hell with the results.

Unfortunately I'm not very good at this. It's in my blood to be compete. That doesn't mean I have to be first every time out of the gate, but I like to know I'm in the running and doing well compaired to my peers. Character flaw maybe.

Jones, I feel like I'm going to be in a similar boat. With the amount of Saturdays I have to work currently I definitely won't make all of the events so maybe the attitude is just show up and run it as long as I have fun to hell with the results.

Then make SURE you go to the AutoX school. Get pre-registered for it as soon as you can on MotorSportReg.com. You get 1-on-1 instruction in your own car outside of a competition environment so you can concentrate on learning as much as you can. You'l end the day much faster than you started, no question.

Oh I intend to get some track schooling before I make a complete idiot of myself out between the cones, I do after all have a reputation to uphold ;)

As you know me personally I don't think you've any question about my need for a "Gateway Drug", I've had the twitch for years now.

Oh I intend to get some track schooling before I make a complete idiot of myself out between the cones, I do after all have a reputation to uphold ;)

As you know me personally I don't think you've any question about my need for a "Gateway Drug", I've had the twitch for years now.

The AutoX school is far from mandatory, but it's just such a great tool for starting drivers that I highly reccomend it. Very often studens will say "I didn't know my car could do that!"

The AutoX school is far from mandatory, but it's just such a great tool for starting drivers that I highly reccomend it. Very often studens will say "I didn't know my car could do that!"

+1

The biggest eye opener by far, is when someone who has never driven your car puts seconds on you in a short course and you thought you were really moving. For me, it was all about slowing down to go faster, gotta have some discipline and learn that the right pedal doesn't always make you go faster.

Then, they try to provide as much in car real instruction to you and you get to try and close that gap.

You really can't get any cheaper for such instruction anywhere.

Oh I fully intend to get some instruction time, I'm a good driver but by no means the best out there. And having very little cone dodging experience I'm more than willing to let someone show me the ropes.

Jones to your point I'm thinking one of the biggest challenges I'm going to run into will be managing boost so the proper placement of my right foot will be key. I don't want the whole throw me in the back seat but I've got to keep it up to keep power at the ready. Though from the last few years when I have managed to get to the course it seems very little real power is needed. More brains than brawn as it were.