Just another RX-7 Built-Coltboostin Style

coltboostin

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JP, is the stock limited slip weak, in the first pass it moved to the right like it was one wheeling?

Congrats on the first event with the car, it will only get faster from here.

Thanks!

First pass was with the DR's at street pressure-it was just spinning them HARD when it came into boost and moved right. Pretty standard compared to what it does on the street when it spins.

Got a spare 45 minutes to troubleshoot the tach issue

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/LsxRx7/IMG_20150604_192141748.jpg

The Summit Tach works well, and is much "faster" that the current VDO tach. I did not get a chance to let the car come to temp (when the current tach dies) but all signs definitely point to a Bunk Tach. I will take for a spin over the weekend to find out.

I will say now that I am in the market, I am really digging those speedhut gauges. Hate the price, but love the look and functionality. Anyone have reliability issued with them? Also like the GPS speedo to 200mph, as mine does not work either. :)

So, I rigged up the random Summit tach I found in my box-o-stuff, and it works perfectly. I am not sure how, but my VDO tach is toast. Eventually I will replace it with something that fits nicely in the cluster. For now, its 100% better than nothing

(Dont mind the mess, I had everything apart checking wiring for the gauges)

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/LsxRx7/IMG_20150611_214514618_2.jpg

Taking it out for some test hits and see how it does on the 4th to 5th shift if I actually take it to redline in 4th, now that I wont be guessing and know where redline is LOL

Between wedding and 2 kids B day parties… I had some time to take the car on a drive to get groceries…..I was just sure to take it to the store a few exits away. 

The good news-the BoBo Tach works GREAT! No drop in RPM, no erratic signal-nothing. So I would assume that the signal coming from the ECU is good-and my VDO tach is junk.

Bad news-I noticed a little smoke on the way home after a pull. Could not tell if it was on decel or WOT. The car has NO catch can or evac of any kind, and that has solved a lot of issues like this in the past-so that will be the next mod. Car felt strong and was not running hotter than normal-so I won’t worry about the motor just yet.

Next, did some test pulls and shifted when I “thought” I needed to shift. Using my phone in a very sketchy manner, I found out that I short shifter 3-4 at 5600, and 4-5 at 5400!!!!! No wonder the car fell on its face on the track!!! Evidently I have to calibrate my ear’s tachometer.

The best news-winding 4th to redline netted very good transient response in the shift to 5th gear. It still takes more time to recover than the first 3 shifts, but it was 100% better than it was on track. I am hopeful what with no other changes beyond a proper 4-5 shift that I will pick up some MPH and ET. Once That is sorted, I can try to hit my 2nd boost stage earlier and/or turn up the 2nd stage boost level.

I have some things to do before my next track visit, but I am excited at the prospects of improving the performance with no additional $$$$ added!

After seeing a little smoke on my RPM/Shifting test pulls, I wanted to take it fro a drive, and see if I lost any coolant. After 30 minutes to and from work, traffic, and several power pulls, no coolant was passed and the car runs cool. Oddly enough, the smoke was significantly reduced from the previous trip. Still need a EVAC system badly, bit I am happy to assume the HG's are still in tact-a worry of mine on stock HG's and TTY bolts!

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/LsxRx7/_20150618_182825.jpg the HG's are still in tact-a worry of mine on stock HG's and TTY bolts!

Are they SFI certified?

Yes, but they are out of date

And would you be willing to use them to smother a fire out?

No

Car moves out. Had a good time. like to see the videos after there all edited.

I wished the TT viper showed up, but glad it all worked out anyways. Hope some of the video comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

Some tire pressure testing with the street tries. This is 15psi-3rd gear. Don't mind the dirtiness of the car giddy laughter-was in the middle of ripping the car apart chasing the tach issue....

And a Trip to Mexico against a GT500. Built, Whipple 2.9L and a 50+shot on E85. Im at 12psi and pump gas.

https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpf1/v/t42.1790-2/1362608_10100770320089380_738428775_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjQwMSwicmxhIjo1MTJ9&rl=401&vabr=223&oh=724881e2f41b4e1b1bf58137ba9229f2&oe=559583D2

Sorry, I dont know how to convert it to a non FB link!

if i gave you a $10k budget, what could you get me? lol

A ticket to the moon. ;)

Realtalk, with what I know now.....I am confident I could click an 8 with an Auto and 10k. I know every angle of cheap at this point. I could give you a spreadsheet-I already built that car in my head. ;)

The key is being able to fabricate everything yourself. Buying stuff off a shelf will instantly double your cost.

if i gave you a $10k budget, what could you get me? lol

Tell me why I have asked myself this question like 30 times since I started reading this thread.

A ticket to the moon. ;)

Realtalk, with what I know now.....I am confident I could click an 8 with an Auto and 10k. I know every angle of cheap at this point. I could give you a spreadsheet-I already built that car in my head. ;)

The key is being able to fabricate everything yourself. Buying stuff off a shelf will instantly double your cost.

Troof. Lack of welding ability is my biggest shortcoming. This is such an awesome project man. Keep the vids coming.