Just another RX-7 Built-Coltboostin Style

coltboostin

Sitting here shaking my head and smiling at this accomplishment. I remember being 15/16 and seeing 'the colt' at the lot. Same JP different platform. Congrats.

Thanks! Yes, I seem to have a thing for pushing the envelope.

That's not your graph. You can't make that power with those turbos. Not stock. Not a ls1. Not the highest. It won't last.

LOL! Love it! Hate is expected-hell I had no idea I was even going to toss it back on the dyno that day and never expected this outcome, ever!!

I'd love to come but the wife is at 37 weeks, and I think she is going to go early. Already seeing "the signs" and cant chance being 2 hours away +time to pack up a car if she goes into labor. Sucks as it looks like its going to be an awesome day.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realistically, how long/how many mi do you expect this motor to last at those power levels? (I am still learning about V8 capabilities.)

Considering how lean it went on the top @ 20psi, not long LOL. I will put in a 340 to help out soon, but I am breaking every rule on LS1 right now-I have heard everything from exploding blocks to bending cranks north of 600hp, the only think I am truly worried about is the smallish rods. I think they would bend with a full season @ near 900whp-but I think it will live a long life @ 14-15psi and low 700's whp.

It will only see "Kill" a few times a year, and not until I get more pump!

Nope

Are you coming down Friday for CR track day?

I'd love to come but the wife is at 37 weeks, and I think she is going to go early. Already seeing "the signs" and cant chance being 2 hours away +time to pack up a car if she goes into labor. Sucks as it looks like its going to be an awesome day.

JP if you have rod bolts, the next weak link is your rods or ring lands. You should be good at 700-750 for awhile, have fun.

Are you coming down Friday for CR track day?

No rod bolts, no nothing. When I sat Stock, I mean Stock from GM in 1999. Not "CR" stock LOL. Full Jam is set to 15psi, I think that will last a while and be fast enough to meet my goals with that (Goal this year was 9's@150 on a street tire)

Cant make it down, baby time!!!

No rod bolts, no nothing. When I sat Stock, I mean Stock from GM in 1999. Not "CR" stock LOL. Full Jam is set to 15psi, I think that will last a while and be fast enough to meet my goals with that (Goal this year was 9's@150 on a street tire)

Cant make it down, baby time!!!

Some guy just ran a stock Subaru STI longblock to a 9.77 @ 147mph. He said boost was maxed on his controller.

You should be good on a LS1.

Some guy just ran a stock Subaru STI longblock to a 9.77 @ 147mph. He said boost was maxed on his controller.

You should be good on a LS1.

Impressive!!!! Subarus only seem to blow when you build them...

My issue is not power production, its the front half. My clutch is a super aggressive road race clutch. It does not slip. My hope is it spins enough in 1st and 2nd to save the rear but still get me moving. If not, I will just pile on boost ont he back half.

Freakin car will probably go 9.8@160 lol

• 3 weeks later...
I approve! Back in college (2003 ish) my friend has LS JUAN on the back of his soccer jersey.

Call him and see if he has my plate!! LOL

How much do you think you will sell this for once you've had your fun? I'd like to start counting my pennies...

I'd sell it tomorrow, if the price is right. ;)

It really depends on what set up the car has at that time-I dont see the stock LS1 making it to 2016. :no::no:

Its official. Juan is here!

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/LsxRx7/IMG_20150519_113250241.jpg

I've been calling the car Juan since I picked it up. The state would not give me LSJUAN, so this had to do. I dig it!

lol Awesome. And :jerkit: at Ohio for not approving the first one.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got lucky and had the opportunity to attend a track rental this week. Tossed everything in the car and headed out on a hot, humid day. I’d have to say I am very happy with my first outing in this thing!

First 2 passes I just rolled out to check AFRs, and set my boost stages. She was running a bit rich, but rich is safe and I had no way to log or change anything, so I set my 2rd stage at 15 psi (spikes to 16, and settles)

3rd pass on my street tires just letting the clutch out netted a 11.5@141.6mph Happy with that. On goes the slicks.

1st pass, I just went down the track to see how the car felt as it was my first time these tires I bought used….felt great. Second pass I wanted to see how it felt in boost. Rolled out and mowed through some gears-felt great.

3rd pass-I let the clutch our and immediately went for it. As a reminder the car has stock NA rear end, so I wanted to try and not break it that day.

10.5@145.7mph with a 1.8 60 foot. Love it! I started the pass @ 230 degrees of coolant temp, so timing was down and fuel was up. 8psi 1,2, and 3rd switching to 15psi in 3rd.

This was with 400lbs on meat in the car (me 180 and my buddy 220) so really I could not be happier! DA was 2185-90 degrees Humidity was 85% according to accuweather!

Sadly, after this pass my buddy broke his car, so we loaded him up in the trailer and packed up to head home. What may have been most impressive for this trip was the drive home-there was a bad accident and it was rush hour. A 45 minute drive turned into 3+ hours in 90+ degree heat, high humidity, with stop and go driving. We were miserable inside the car but the car did great!

Here’s the video. Thanks to Miguel Lopez for putting it together.

Some things I learned –

Similar to high HP FWD 5 speed cars I have owned in the past, more hook=more MPH. This goes against conventional auto V8 wisdoms, but when you are literally spinning though the 1/8th, you are losing time opportunity to accelerate, and losing mph

I need a lower gear. The car fell out of boost worst going into 5th, and since its inherently weaker due to its size, I don’t want to race the car in 5th if I can avoid it. Also, if I could be in my power band more of the pass, it will get significantly faster with no change in power.

I need more cooling capacity. Even though it was HOT, no pass was stared cooler than 225 degrees, and even with a 15 minute cool off, it simple ran hot all day. It got as hot as 240-250 on the way home in traffic. I am using a radiator I found laying in my parts pile-time to upgrade!

I cant WAIT to see what she does when I can apply full power, and keep it in the power band longer with a better rear gear! This car has already seen a lot of “use” this year and has been great so far! More to come…

Worth noting-this was also without a Tach. Still working on sorting that out, but I was guessing-to-shift...not fun when you have to make 4 of them. Looking back, I may have short sifted 5th and thats why it had a lazy recovery?

Need to get working TACH asap!