Vance's building new store in Obetz

Mitch

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2013/11/21/new-vance-store-to-add-to-outdoor-retail-boom.html

Central Ohio's increasingly competitive outdoors retail market will get a homegrown boost next fall when Columbus-based Vance Outdoors opens a store in Obetz, its third location.

"I always felt you're either moving forward or moving backward," said Rich Vance, CEO of Vance Outdoors. "This is a family operation, and to continue it we're not going to rest on the past. This is our way of saying we hope to be here longer."

Numerous sporting-goods retailers have announced similar plans for central Ohio recently.

In February, Gander Mountain opened its first Firearms Super Center in Ohio — and second in the nation — at its Reynoldsburg store. In March, Cabela's opened a Polaris-area store, its first in Ohio.

Next year, Dick's Sporting Goods will open one of its new specialty Field & Stream retail stores and a prototype of its Dick's Sporting Goods store at Easton Gateway. Outdoor-equipment company REI also is set to open a store at Easton Gateway in May.

"Vance's is reacting to all the national chains inundating their home turf in the past year or so," said local retail analyst Chris Boring, principal of Boulevard Strategies. "The industry is going through an amazing growth spurt at the moment."

Vance looked at various locations — Hilliard, Grove City and West Jefferson, among others — before deciding on Obetz for the 56,000-square-foot store. It has existing stores on Cleveland Avenue and in Hebron.

The new store will sell firearms; equipment for hunting, fishing, boating, camping and automotive use; and outdoors-oriented clothing and footwear.

"We were looking for a freeway-exit location," Vance said. "We feel that Vance's, with our reputation and what we sell, if we can get a freeway location, we can pull all of central Ohio."

Obetz officials worked with the company this year to find the right location, said E. Rod Davisson, Obetz economic development director. "We wanted to put it in a position where it could prosper, benefit Obetz and be part of a retail corridor. This is our first large-scale retail project."

The site that Vance's chose, 4250 Alum Creek Dr., is a vacant 8½-acre lot directly across the street from the Obetz municipal buildings, near I-270. Vance bought the property for $364,400 in October. Construction will start soon, and the store should open next fall.

The Obetz Village Council last month approved a municipal income-tax credit and other incentives as part of the deal.

One of the store's features will be a 15,000-square-foot, 24-lane, state-of-the-art indoor firing range.

"That's one of the ways Vance can hold its own against national competitors," Boring said.

The indoor range leverages one of the retailer's strengths as one of the largest firearms dealers in the country, Vance said. "It's not something we have to build. We already have that business. We put a lot of emphasis on this range to be a real drawing card. We feel it's going to make a real impact."

As part of the deal to build the store, Vance will offer firearms training to the Obetz Police Department at no charge.

The development will also include a park that will be completed behind the store shortly after it opens, Davisson said.

Vance's father, Richard H. Vance, started Vance's in 1938 as a general store that sold groceries as well as firearms and archery and police equipment as a sideline business. The first Vance Sporting Goods store opened in January 1978.

Vance's merged with Buckeye Outdoors in 2002.

I like the range.

I hate the location.

I like the thought of extra elbow room in the aisles.

I hope they put in seating so you can people watch and laugh at the idiots that can't fill out the form.

Why would they put it in Obetz? Do they have a boner for shit areas of Columbus?

I wouldn't imagine the "nicer, wealthier areas" typically are much of gun owners. Plus, those are the kind of people I could see complaining a lot about a firearms store in their neighborhood.

I wouldn't imagine the "nicer, wealthier areas" typically are much of gun owners. Plus, those are the kind of people I could see complaining a lot about a firearms store in their neighborhood.

I don't know about that one. Lower income areas might not attract the wealthier income customer. Blackwing on 36 does well and I bet most everyone that deals there are middle to upper income. Take the skeet/trap range for example .

I don't know about that one. Lower income areas might not attract the wealthier income customer. Blackwing on 36 does well and I bet most everyone that deals there are middle to upper income. Take the skeet/trap range for example .

Right. I think being on the outskirts of Delaware also helps with attracting the rural crowd.

I think it's more about the range. Nicer areas really have no problems with firearms. They should have stuck with the original plan and put it in Dublin.

I'm a low-income scrub and I go to Blackwing. More of a distance thing for me.

I would love for one to go up in Dublin. I'd be there all the time.

It will never happen. We are talking Dublin now. I grew up in Dublin. Times have really changed in that town. I am going back to memory lane remembering when there were two gas stations right smack in the center of the town on the corners of 161 & Dublin rd/High street dublin. Off subject I know. Phillips 76 and can not remember the other one. Will stop going back in time now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It will be closer to me in Grove City so thats a plus, but i agree with Obetz being a shitty area for sure. I get wanting to be off of the interstate, but feel there were better options. Grove City or nearby for instance would have been perfect. Theres no other competition down here, plus its a good middle class suburb that people wouldnt be afraid to come to. I am happy to see another range coming from this, plus it would make it the closest to me again.

It will be closer to me in Grove City so thats a plus, but i agree with Obetz being a shitty area for sure. I get wanting to be off of the interstate, but feel there were better options. Grove City or nearby for instance would have been perfect. Theres no other competition down here, plus its a good middle class suburb that people wouldnt be afraid to come to. I am happy to see another range coming from this, plus it would make it the closest to me again.

:barf:

I can't stand Grovetucky. Grew up near there and worked there for 3 years. Never. Again.

Overcrowded. Trickle down effect takes place (my own theory). Grovetucky wants to be Hilliard wants to be Dublin, etc. and so forth.

No offense to anyone working or living there that loves it. I have a few friends that do. I just couldn't stand it. So. Many. People. I hate Stringtown.