Hyundai Elantra DERP

zeitgeist57

Last week, I rented a Hyundai Elantra. Honestly, I expected a really nice car but was quite disappointed with the ride and the acceleration. Radio and cruise control worked...okay, I guess. :fa:

Anyway...was pulling into Port Columbus to return this shitbox, and I was following another Elantra. Staring at the license plate at night, I noticed that something looked a little off. "Man, that's a sloppy owner", I thought.

Then, I looked at the trunk lid of my rental when I was getting my stuff out da trunk...

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=693&pictureid=7393

Wait...what? That can't be right. Let me turn on the lights so you can see it better. Look at the right-side license plate light.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=693&pictureid=7394

I realize this is the tiniest of niggles, but what is seen cannot be unseen... and I can't stop looking at that HERP DERP license light. Why is it so far off??? I didn't try to pry off the black cover, because I don't care.

Anyway...just seems super sloppy. Piece of shit appliance-car anyway so whatevs. The potatoes that buy this thing will never care. :lol:

Maybe the derp that screwed the plate on didn't center it?

They come prepped from the factory for plate installation.

looks like the rear view camera (is that the square in the center?) took priority, which pushed the trunk handle over, which pushed the lamp over.

Hyandai/Kia has never been a nice car company, anybody who likes them confuses me.

They're the definition of disposable transportation appliances. They're extremely cheap, they know they are and thus the "great" warranty (hint: many things aren't covered on the warranty). But subsequent owners after the original don't get the warranty.

I honestly think they just make the cars to lease to people at low prices, then after the lease is up they're devalued, crappy and have minimal/no warranty left so Hyundai doesn't have to worry about the used market.

But subsequent owners after the original don't get the warranty.

Not entirely true. We bought our minivan at 4mos. old with 4k on the ODO and it was only $500 to secure the full 100k warranty through their "certification" processes BS. The 5/60k warranty is up but the power train and pricey stuff is covered until 100k. Our has nearly 80k on it and the only true costs to us are wear and tear things like breaks, a tie rod and while I'm not happy the Power Steering pump needed done and one could question it needing done at 70k, our van does see mostly suburban mom driving and makes more turns than most politicians.

anybody who likes them confuses me.

it's not really that confusing. for us to have bough a comparable Oddessy was $9,600 more. the vehicle was nearly identical in terms of equipment and ride. Quality aside, the 100k warranty is nice peace of mind. Especially considering Honda isn't exactly what they used to be quality wise.

the main difference will be in resale value. even then will it be $9,600 different? Doubtful. Yhoo shows 2007s go for $12-14k today. Our Entourage $9-10k range for simliar miles.

In the end, I took the $9,600 difference on day one and wouldn't have it any other way.

it's not really that confusing. for us to have bough a comparable Oddessy was $9,600 more. the vehicle was nearly identical in terms of equipment and ride. Quality aside, the 100k warranty is nice peace of mind. Especially considering Honda isn't exactly what they used to be quality wise.

the main difference will be in resale value. even then will it be $9,600 different? Doubtful. Yhoo shows 2007s go for $12-14k today. Our Entourage $9-10k range for simliar miles.

In the end, I took the $9,600 difference on day one and wouldn't have it any other way.

As long as you're happy with your decision, I tend to look at if I'd want to own something if it's 10 years old. Most GM and Mazda products I'd have and not mind working on, but not them.

To be specific I said most not all.

As long as you're happy with your decision, I tend to look at if I'd want to own something if it's 10 years old. Most GM and Mazda products I'd have and not mind working on, but not them.

To be specific I said most not all.

I'm with you....looking at a 10yr old minivan as something one would want to own is equivalent to saying a 77yr old grand mother is a chick one want to bang........NOT.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/25/hyundai-entourage-recall/

Sounds like the Hyundai Windstar to me :gabe:

I've recently looked at a few Hyundai's as a replacement for my dad's Focus. I keep finding myself looking at them because of that 100k warranty. Tough to beat that

Again, just make sure it's a new Hyundai. Used ones only get 5yr/60k powertrain and no bumper-to-bumper. If it's sold thru a Hyundai dealer they can basically "reactivate" the 10yr/100k for a small fee.