• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

specs leaked. NOT official yet...

Engine: 6.2 liter Supercharged

HP: 625 Horsepower

Torque: 635 ft/lbs

Transmission: 7 Speed Manual and optional 8 Speed Automatic

I find this a little disappointing, only because I expected a power bump compared to the ZR1 due to all the engine updates. It should be an amazing car though.

I find this a little disappointing, only because I expected a power bump compared to the ZR1 due to all the engine updates. It should be an amazing car though.

??? The ZR1 is 638hp. 13hp is well within GM's fudge factor when rating their performance engines, not to mention it's pretty negligible when we're talking 600+ hp. If anything it bodes well for the C7 ZR1 or whatever GM's got cooking.

The rear end is the best part of the new gen. They've needed to get rid of that giant plastic billboard rear since 1980.

GM - design change at the pace of snail. Seems they can only bring out a new look when Ford does something first....

Also - If my finances improve I'll be buying one of these and then masturbating on it at night. Every night. Love.

??? The ZR1 is 638hp. 13hp is well within GM's fudge factor when rating their performance engines, not to mention it's pretty negligible when we're talking 600+ hp. If anything it bodes well for the C7 ZR1 or whatever GM's got cooking.

No, don't get me wrong, I said it should be and impressive car, and it will probably kill a lot of more expensive cars. However, with the performance increase to the base engine I was expecting the next gen supercharged engine to surpass the previous. I'll be interested to see all the details because maybe I'm wrong in comparing it to the previous ZR1 and should be comparing it to the CTS-V/ZL1.

No, don't get me wrong, I said it should be and impressive car, and it will probably kill a lot of more expensive cars. However, with the performance increase to the base engine I was expecting the next gen supercharged engine to surpass the previous. I'll be interested to see all the details because maybe I'm wrong in comparing it to the previous ZR1 and should be comparing it to the CTS-V/ZL1.

There's no way GM was going to give the Z06 more hp than the ZR1 just one generation previous. Seeing a lower model come out with more power for less money would alienate current ZR1 owners.

Way I see it, GM rates the new Z06 just under the current ZR1 (whether it makes more power or not) as a sop to the pride of their big money customers. Then, they will come out with a new ZR1, that will have the power you expect (I'll wager in the neighborhood of 700-750hp). This will move their ZR1 customers up the hp ladder to make room for a mid-generation model update improving power across the whole line. This will put the Z06 above the old ZR1 right into the spot you think it should occupy.

There's an unofficial rule at GM that no car can be faster than the Corvette on paper. This is why the 4.5gen F-body was rated at 305hp when the LS1 easily made the same 345hp as the C5. Take that philosophy to the next step as you can see the rule being applied to trim levels within the Corvette line itself. The ZR1 is the top dog and will stay the top dog, on paper at least. It's quite possible that the new C7 Z06 will dyno higher than the C6 ZR1, and it's also quite likely that it'll tune a lot better too. But when the guy with with more wallet than knowledge brags at the office party, he'll still be able to say his is faster.

Draco, I get what you're saying and I agree that this is probably their strategy. In my initial post I shouldn't have said "disappointed," I should have said surprised. Since this is the Gen V supercharged engine I would expect it to be found in the next ZL1 and CTS-V also. I am first surprised that this would be that engine, seeing as how Ford already had 660+ HP and Chrysler has an undetermined amount of HP in something rumored as Hellcat. I expected this engine to be rated similar to the Ford.

Also, I expect the new Z06 to be priced closer to the old ZR1 than the old Z06 and I don't know that a ZR1 is even going to happen. (It would at least be a few years away)

It will be an impressive car, and will no doubt lap tracks faster than much higher priced competition. I'm just surprised at the HP rating.

There's an unofficial rule at GM that no car can be faster than the Corvette on paper. This is why the 4.5gen F-body was rated at 305hp when the LS1 easily made the same 345hp as the C5. Take that philosophy to the next step as you can see the rule being applied to trim levels within the Corvette line itself. The ZR1 is the top dog and will stay the top dog, on paper at least. It's quite possible that the new C7 Z06 will dyno higher than the C6 ZR1, and it's also quite likely that it'll tune a lot better too. But when the guy with with more wallet than knowledge brags at the office party, he'll still be able to say his is faster.

I would agree until now when the Z/28 was just released and they have claimed it faster than a C7 on the ring which I would assume means it's faster on other tracks as well..

With that in mind due to the Z/28 being $75k, I don't see how the new Z06 isn't going to be at least $90k..

Just think what it will do with pulley, e85 and a cam.

The zr1 with boltons made 700whp

With 620 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque, the 2015 Corvette Z06 is the most advanced Corvette ever made. Read more about Chevy’s supercar here.

NICE!

Edited by Thorne