Cleaning Camera and Lenses

hpfiend

Hey all-

I have a Canon Rebel XS and a 50mm 1.8 lens I use exclusively... It has been to the beach several times and has never been cleaned. There is likely sand and grime in all sorts of areas. The iris has been sticking on the 50mm when it is really cold so I wonder if there is something in there too? I never took the lens off anywhere but in the house anand maybe then only once or twice and I made sure to keep it inverted..

I was thinking of taking it to Midwest Photo to have it done but wonder if this is something I can do myself?

Thanks!

Andrew

take it to get done. personally, I spent about $500 on repairs due to a beach use of some higher end stuff and refuse to take it anywhere near sand now. Even one grain is like passing a kidney stone bad. I'm ultra careful too and think it likely got some in it from the wind, etc. never again.

beaches = P&S only for me from then onward.

thanks all!

I am glad I have relatively cheap equipment...

I wont say I am not tempted-

I tried my brother-in-law's newer model canon rebel T *I think* with a zoom lens on it the other day. It's low light performance was far superior to mine even with my little 280 speedlight and my 1.8 aperture 50mm running wide open but I still haven't learned to use that flash properly ;)