Stock / Investment Crew: Post Up Your 2013 Gains!

Wease

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't met with our planner yet to review the goods in whole but my estimate is we are up over 25% likely conservative too. It Was a good year and with the past few years of deep investing I'm very pleased. We added one to property to our folio too. Closing however got push to this Friday though due to inspection and fixes we pushed for that didn't wrap up on time.

You just jinxed it...

I can't jinx anything, 2013 is over... ;)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stocks-open-2014-lower-wall-street-145306348--finance.html

PROFIT-TAKERS!!! There will be a lot of up-and-down movements in 2014, both in my bedroom as well as the big boards where investors will get out of lower-risk/lower-return investments and put them back into the market...

For me, I've been invested more in real estate over the last 8 years, though my retirement assets and 529s have done well. If the economy continues to improve, my 2014 would be made if I get near asking price for one of the houses I'm selling...

One 401k was 30.3%, RothIRA 42.4%.

It was a good year, but I would be happier if I had more in my IRA, lol.

My other 401k has very few investment options and only had 10.5%. I think I need to roll this over into something else

I hate to jinx anything. I had a great year, planning to trade full-time in a couple years and start putting large cash to it in 2014. My 2013 real money long term/swing trade accounts ended up 27%.

My test long term account, up 90% and my test day trading account which I only used for the second half of the year ended up 67%.

This year should be similar as far as day trading. I plan to run test accounts all year this time and start with real money around June once, I get my system tuned.

Tesla was a good one this year. I rode DDD from $38, sold at 78. Had a really bad long position that came back up to a more tolerable loss level and got out also.

Be nice if any of it was enough cash to matter, but soon it will be.

I think gold is at a low and will be moving up again slowly. I don't trade the commodity at all, but I do watch the mining companies. AUY is my favorite, solid company, low price stock and high volatility makes for great day trading. I recently took over managing my parents accounts, previously my uncle had been managing them and he had them long in a gold company so they are down enough that its not worth selling. Same with a chinese company he held onto.

I'm very rarely long (years) and rarely swing trade either unless I'm 99% sure. I'm in and out within minutes and sell out every position before the end of day bell.

I don't trade the commodity at all, but I do watch the mining companies.

Have you looked into the new streaming companies like the Sandstorm twins (Sandstorm Gold/Sandstorm Metals & Energy) or Silver Wheaton/Gold Wheaton? I really like Nolan Watson as a mining entrepreneur and I've been considering taking a small position in SND.V now that it's on sale.

Thanks for the leads Littleguy, I'm always looking for OTC (over the counter, AKA penny stocks) companies to study, follow, and eventually swing trade. These I monitor very closely and within a group of similar companies I've over the years managed to pick the right ones that had the edge to come out on top.

Sadly I've never had any real cash, but what I have managed to pry from my wifes hands I've always done very well with and have been doing some type of trading since before the `90's bubble. I guess I could say I'm also lucky as I didn't lose much either when bubbles popped and during my learning curve. I have relatives who blew up accounts when the tech bubble popped.

What trading platform's do you guys use? My stuffs with scottrade since they are local and they have been awesome to work with. My parents have accounts with TD Ameritrade. I recently took over managing the distributions for them and from what I've now seen with their mobile app and website I'm impressed. Still the price per trade is higher than scottrade.

This year I'm going to be building some automated trading systems. I'm relearning VB Studio and might pick up an account with IB. Tradestation is what I'd ultimately like to use, but at the moment it would be a huge cost overhead and unecessary for the volume of trading I do. Once I go full time I'll likely use them and interface via my own APPs for speed.