Cell Phone Upgrade: What Should I Buy?

Wease

I'm going from Verizon to T-Mobile, and buying my own phone before I make the switch. Here are my stipulations on the phone:

1. Must work on T-Mobile

2. Must be Android

3. Must be an "older" phone, nothing cutting edge, as I don't want to spend that much money

4. I'd like to spend less than $300, if possible

I'm buying two phones, for me and the wife. We both currently have a Droid Razr. Thoughts on what to buy? I've seen some new, but opened packages, S3's on eBay for around $250... :confused:

S3 is a great phone. I have the s4 and my wife has the s3. Mines slightly faster and little better screen quality but I'd have no problem using hers as my every day phone. She's dropped it countless times and even dropped it in the toilet x2 and after letting it dry out it still works perfectly. Even sat all night in a puddle of water one od our cats spilled.

i'll have either a blue or white 16GB S3 with case for sale here shortly.

depends on which one my wife wants keep for herself. i'll be upgrading.

they are both rooted running custom roms, but can be put back to factory if wanted.

i would do $250 for one with a case.

J.R.

i bet you can get almost any phone if your signing a new contract with a different carrier for under $300

You can, but then you're over paying for that phone because you're locked into a 2 year contract and paying off the phone you "got cheap". If I pay up front and bring my phone into T-Mobile, it saves a lot of money over the long run... :nod:

NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3 NOTE3

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

I have the S3, no complaints here. Battery life kinda sucks but I like everything else about it. I had a Nexus 4 (LG) before this and it was a very similar but much better phone, although fragile as fuck.

HTC One battery life master race

http://i.imgur.com/tFikaZQ.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/T6N9Cnt.png

http://www.google.com/nexus/5/

/thread

(now it is cutting edge...but it doesn't cost much, $350)

Glad this thread came along...need a new phone (I have a very early Thunderbolt, works like a champ, but slowly dying.) Anyone have any input or experience that if I were to buy something such as the Nexus I could keep my Verizon unlimited data? I really haven't done much research on it.

...the Nexus I could keep my Verizon unlimited data?

Nexus is a GSM phone, doesn't work on Verizon.

Since when? I thought their $30/month plan was for 100 minutes and 5 gigs of 4G.

You're right. It's only 100 mins talk, but it's unlimited text + data (throttled down to 3G after 5gigs, so you never really lose data). I don't ever talk on the phone so I don't really count that :p

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ JONES CAN'T READ

http://www.google.com/nexus/5/

/thread

(now it is cutting edge...but it doesn't cost much, $350)

I just picked up a Nexus 5 last night. I didn't mind signing up for a new contract and the upgrade cost me $35 total.

My very close second choice was the HTC One. Beautifully designed. It would've been free.

W/no contract, I'd go with the Nexus 5 again due to lower cost.

Also, be sure to check Amazon. Their offers are generally lower than if you went straight to the TMobile, Sprint, etc., site themselves. In your no-contract case, I don't know it'd matter though. Something to keep in mind, I guess.

I just picked up a Nexus 5 last night. I didn't mind signing up for a new contract and the upgrade cost me $35 total.

My very close second choice was the HTC One. Beautifully designed. It would've been free.

W/no contract, I'd go with the Nexus 5 again due to lower cost.

Also, be sure to check Amazon. Their offers are generally lower than if you went straight to the TMobile, Sprint, etc., site themselves. In your no-contract case, I don't know it'd matter though. Something to keep in mind, I guess.

I actually need to back track on what I said earlier about paying for the phone with the contract: After looking at the T-Mobile site, looks like you can get the Nexus 5 for 0% interest over that two years, which ends up being $16.50 a month per phone. Not too bad.