CR Stock Watch

Tractor

Wow at this market. My BDCL has thrown off some great coupon payments over the last year or so...down 50%. RIG is down 61%. Even my Ag/Energy mutual funds are down 20-25%. RIP to you guys that got into USO in the $teens.

What's winning? Preferred stocks (PFF), and my inverse ETFs (which I just sold a chunk of for 10% gain. Will be exiting that holding stage right ASAP:lol:)

Just had lunch with a coworker who does Leveraged Finance for the Oil/Gas industry. He says the market is absolutely dead. No deals. Tough time right now and confidence isn't getting any better.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I didn't buy USO lol. Stocks are just too risky for my blood, I'll stick with rentals. Someone will always need to rent.

One of the topics my coworker and I discussed was the transition of the stock market. Between robotrades and the vast majority of trade volume channeled through mutual funds and ETF's, I'm going to put my qualified 401(k)/IRA dollhairs in a few funds/ETFs and just let it go.

I have a feeling that guys/girls growing up through the recession of '08/'09 and this major correction are going to be stock-market-averse in the future as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty...we've been staring at the numbers dropping, and we all know there is room for it to dive further. Curious what people have been looking at. I've got about $5k to park-n-ride for the next couple of years if need be.

WMS - I bought Advanced Drainage last week at 21.xx and watching that puppy slide. So much for supporting a local company. Down 16% this week THX OBMA :lol:

CHK - I have a buy in for 2k CHK @ $1.75 Day. I don't think it's going to hit but the thought of either a buyout or eventual return to profitability is too intriguing for me not to lowball a limit order.

USO - When there's blood in the streets, buy land???

BDCL - I have a nice holding in this ETF and while it's been down pretty big since last year, it still sloughs off a great dividend. Thinking about DCA'ing some more money in it since it's near a 52-week low.

AA - I've kept an eye on Alcoa as a nice core industrial stock w/dividend. Below $8.xx a share seems nice.

Furthermore, anyone looking at ETF's to ride out the storm? I'm looking at dividend, industrials...

I'm mostly looking long-term, but would sell on a nice gain should anything rocket up.

F - (Ford) it's been under $12 for a little while and has a 5%+ yield and a solid product line-up

ROX - www.castlebrandsinc.com Looking at for a possible super small long-term investment. I like Jefferson's Bourbon

PSG - Performance Sports Group Major player in Hockey Equipment owning the #1 (Bauer) brand and just acquired the #3 Brand (Easton Hockey), Also owns Easton Baseball, and has a couple lacrosse brands which the sport has seen a lot of growth. Small long-term investment.

Also watching oil stocks, BP, RDS.A & .B, XOM to name a few. Not sure what's gonna happen first, Dividend decreases or oil price increase. Don't have a favorite from the group yet.

I was watching VZ down at $45 but it's back to $50+ where it just seems to hang out.

It really doesn't help when you turn on any financial news they all scream sell off/cash is king. I've bought too much USO and I'm sticking to it. Once the Saudi and OPEC get their acts together it'll come around. How long? hopefully before I die.

Literally everything is on sale right now. NFLX, TSLA, AAPL,...you name it, it's on sale. But if I have the cash right now what I would buy?

An air cool Porsche

It really doesn't help when you turn on any financial news they all scream sell off/cash is king. I've bought too much USO and I'm sticking to it. Once the Saudi and OPEC get their acts together it'll come around. How long? hopefully before I die.

Literally everything is on sale right now. NFLX, TSLA, AAPL,...you name it, it's on sale. But if I have the cash right now what I would buy?

An air cool Porsche

I like the Porsche strategy, but my "problem" is I use part of an old Rollover IRA to play in the stock market - my cash holdings can't be liquidated for play toys. :D Gonna let the next day or so pan out, especially with the dip in oil and tech continuing...

• 4 weeks later...
I'm mostly looking long-term, but would sell on a nice gain should anything rocket up.

F - (Ford) it's been under $12 for a little while and has a 5%+ yield and a solid product line-up

I bought in when it was $11.11. Now I look like a genius as it it sits at $13.44. :fuckyeah: If only I had more free cash at the time to buy more. :fuuuu:

Side note, being a Ford share holder with at least 100 shares for 6 months gives you X-Plan Pricing (4% above invoice). Not an amazing deal as I'm sure working with Nick (fijist) can probably give you just as good if not a better one but at least you know the ceiling price.

My long-term automotive play is MBLY. Typically, the OEM's carry smaller profit margins than suppliers, auto sales are at a peak right now (and will retract), and are incredibly vulnerable to market swings. IMO, the supply base is a better play, since they are diversified across OEM's and markets and there are segments that will grow even if overall sales retract.

• 5 weeks later...
Stupid question for you guys; how do you handle tax reporting on stock sales/capital gains? Do you just estimate it at the end of the year? Does the brokerage firm you use send out a 1099?

You will get a form from the brokerage. If you hold for less than 1 year you pay income tax on the gains, if you hold for over you pay capital gains. This is last time I looked and I'm no tax expert so please verify on your own.

You will get a form from the brokerage. If you hold for less than 1 year you pay income tax on the gains, if you hold for over you pay capital gains. This is last time I looked and I'm no tax expert so please verify on your own.

Your brokerage will send you a form with all the info at the end of the year.

Holding less than a year is considered short-term capital gains and will be taxed greater than your long-term capital gains. Short term will be 10% to 40% depending on your bracket. Long term is taxed 0%, 15%, or 20% for most normal folk.

Short and long capital gains is considered ordinary income.

How long do you guys usually hold onto your stocks? I usually sell around 10-15% since I just do it for spending cash/fun. Can't argue with a couple hundred free bucks a month. But then when I see stocks I used to own quadrupling or more its frustrating. Of course some have seriously crashed into the dirt too, so I guess a gain is a gain right?

I figure our advantage as individuals is that we aren't stuck to any time frame for keeping a stock. I typically hold a position between 6-18 months and if is a good company I will keep some of my profit in free shares that I can hold for a longer time frame (5-10 years).