Let's talk .22

Mojoe

Given the recent talk on .22 Ammo. I wanted to talk about the experiances people are having with .22 guns and the talk of certain ammo and certain guns don't play well together. I really like the .22 caliber to shot. It's just a lot of fun, so I shoot it quite a bit.

In the last year I have shot approximately 8,000+ rounds of .22. Quite a bit through Walther P22, SR22, M&P22, and Ruger 10/22. Eventually, I got rid of the P22's and have 3 SR22's and the M&P22 for training. I have shot just about every common .22 ammo I have ever seen, and can get my hands on. I can say in all that ammo, I got one brick of Federal that gave me trouble often. FTE or just not fire when the rim was struck. I got it from somoene in a deal, so I really didn't care, and I liked that it was likely to fail. I cycled it into my training classes to make people deal with misfires. I am almost certain this ammo was stored with little care. I think it sat in someones car most of the summer and the gel like priming substance, combined with heat and gravity, caused there to be areas of the rim not covered, creating a misfire. Often I would refired the round and get the round to fire.

I'll add this; .22 pistols have a bad rep for being picky with ammo. In my experiance, I have fired the hell out of my .22 pistols from new, and even some that were used. The spring in most I have seen is quite stiff to start out. High volocity ammo helps fight FTE issues. But, in all the above listed .22's, I'm able to shoot standard ammo that I store in a cool, dry place, with a rare failure. .22 are as dirty as Ron Jermey. You just have to clean them and shoot them.

I'm not .22 ammo bias in any way now. At one time I did think there was ammo that a certain gun just didn't like. I shot that gun more and issues went away.

I am hearing more about issues with a wax like residue on the Reminton Golden rounds. people are saying it is the cause of malfunctions. I'm open to hearing more about this.

Looking to hear what you guys have experianced and your thoughts.

• Upvote 1

I get the occasional few failures with my bricks of 22 whether it be the blazer, federal or winchester bricks I have. It doesn't seem to be a certain brand and they are all fired out of the same guns so it doesn't matter to me what brand I use the 10/22 seems to eat them up and the savage doesn't care bc its a bolt gun. I plan to expand the stable of 22s I have this year since I've built up a nice pile of ammo. Im thinking a M&P 15-22 maybe a henry lever gun (so damn fun to shoot) and a pistol of some kind still not decided on it.

Remington Golden bullets are not waxed. They are gilded with brass (hence the "Golden") to avoid having wax.

The American Eagle brand in the red boxes works great in my Ruger 10/22 but is single shot in the Advantage Arms .22LR conversion for my Glock.

I get the occasional few failures with my bricks of 22 whether it be the blazer, federal or winchester bricks I have. It doesn't seem to be a certain brand and they are all fired out of the same guns so it doesn't matter to me what brand I use the 10/22 seems to eat them up and the savage doesn't care bc its a bolt gun. I plan to expand the stable of 22s I have this year since I've built up a nice pile of ammo. Im thinking a M&P 15-22 maybe a henry lever gun (so damn fun to shoot) and a pistol of some kind still not decided on it.

You may want to consider some type of older military training rifle. Two of the most accurate .22LRs that I've ever owned were these:

The most accurate was this ERMA .22LR. It was a training rifle for the K98 Mauser and had the same weight and features. Unfortunately someone sporterized it and cut off the front part of the stock where the barrel band was. It still shot amazingly tight groups with average ammo.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/IMG_5745_zps835a7564.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/IMG_5760_zps6cf19a8d.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/IMG_5766_zpsa0174397.jpg

The second most accurate was this British Enfield. This one was a trainer for the British SMLE rifles and still had the original stock disk indicating it was from the O.T.C = Officer Training Corps, Junior Division

M.H.S = Mill Hill School. These rifles have the same weight as the .303 caliber version but are single shot instead of magazine fed. The special magazine is actually hollow and is there to catch the empty shells!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/IMG_5445_zps03033d77.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/IMG_5453_zpsfb77b3fd.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/IMG_5461_zps1a717982.jpg

While these military trainers aren't the most common, they are out there if you search and they are quite fun to shoot. They're also a good investment.

My Marlin 60 never liked large doses of lead nose CCI blazers. I'm a big fan of the CCI mini-mags for some reason. Always seemed to feed right and not jam up as much as the CCI Blazer. Stingers are fun to shoot, but I had some FTE issues with my Model 60. Not sure what the 10/22 likes yet, it hasn't been shot yet :D

Not sure what the 10/22 likes yet, it hasn't been shot yet :D

With your 10/22, I would do CCI MM or Winchester X, the 1373ps stuff in the red 100 round box. Once I was sighted in, that is the least expensive, most consistent ammo I have found. Without consistency, you can't have accuracy. It is so easy to hit even a fly when one lands on the target. You'll make shots that will shock you with that set up.

With your 10/22, I would do CCI MM or Winchester X, the 1373ps stuff in the red 100 round box. Once I was sighted in, that is the least expensive, most consistent ammo I have found. Without consistency, you can't have accuracy. It is so easy to hit even a fly when one lands on the target. You'll make shots that will shock you with that set up.

I have some Eley Match Grade stuff I want to try out. I hear you should foul the barrel a bit before confirming zero.

I think i have over 3k rounds through my savage mkII and I ever had a single FTF or FTE with it... :) lol J/k

But like Joe said, my SR22 eats anything I feed it as well. My GSG5 eats everything as well. But when I shooting CCI blazers lead nose, i have to clean the feed ramps every 500-600rds or it would start to FTF.

I've only had misfires with an old H&R revolver and a Marlin bolt action rifle both used guns. I use Federal, Remington, Winchester and CCI mini mags. My ruger 10/22 take down and Henry survival rifle has had almost no misfires and I bought those both new.

I bought some Aguila 30gr on sale but haven't used it yet. I wonder how well they work...

I need to step in and be the guy who try and helps those looking for 22. A lot of people have been upset because they perceive it's hard to find. I suggest you log knot slickguns daily. There is always a deal for 22. If you are local you can take advantage of cabelas. Sure, it is harder to get ahold of. But some people have complained like it is non existent.

If someone is in the columbus area and not buying .22 on Cabelas website, for free instore pick up, they have nothing to complain about. It's out there. A good bit of it, IMO. And for the most part, the warmer is gets outside, I think the harder it will be to find. Unless, the stock available on the shelves goes back to what it was 2 years ago. So, for CR, I like seeing it picked up by the people here. Call is hoarding, call it panic buying, call it whatever you want. I save money, so I have it when I need it later. I invest it, so it can grow in value. Ammo, of any caliber, is no different IMO.

If someone is in the columbus area and not buying .22 on Cabelas website, for free instore pick up, they have nothing to complain about. It's out there. A good bit of it, IMO. And for the most part, the warmer is gets outside, I think the harder it will be to find. Unless, the stock available on the shelves goes back to what it was 2 years ago. So, for CR, I like seeing it picked up by the people here. Call is hoarding, call it panic buying, call it whatever you want. I save money, so I have it when I need it later. I invest it, so it can grow in value. Ammo, of any caliber, is no different IMO.

Yup as of now if you keep your eyes open you can find basically any caliber you want, wish 9mm would go back down to $10-11 a box though. If someone complains about not being able to find 22 I just laugh because clearly they haven't tried very hard.

Yup..... almost daily, Cabelas has 22LR for free in store pick-up.

No guarantee on brand, type or quantity.... but still... It's out there...

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Yup as of now if you keep your eyes open you can find basically any caliber you want, wish 9mm would go back down to $10-11 a box though. If someone complains about not being able to find 22 I just laugh because clearly they haven't tried very hard.

Can anyone say they have had any issue with any particular brand of .22 ammo? I actually am looking for some bad ammo that doesn't cycle well.

My grandpa once gave ma a huge pickle jar filled with 22 prob 2-3k rounds that had to be from the 50s it ran about 75%. Still don't know why it was in a pickle jar. Hope that helps :gabe:

Can anyone say they have had any issue with any particular brand of .22 ammo? I actually am looking for some bad ammo that doesn't cycle well.

Honestly, high end Match Ammo will gum up an action quickly if you let it. I have a Brick of Wolf I paid $50 for.... about TEN YEARS AGO (!!!!) that will jam up a 10/22 in under 50 rounds (in my experience) if you did not clean every few magazines.

Other then that.... Remington Golden Bullets always ran "dirty" for me.

KillJoy

Hmmm. Looking for more of a bad round now and then Vs fowling the weapon itself. I want it for teaching in the class. I still need the gun to work 99% of the time. I want them to encounter a misfire, so they have to clear it and keep engaging the threat. I added this to the class over the Summer and it helps tremendously for people who don't really get how a gun functions.