Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable

copperhead

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/time-warner-cable-comcast-buy-twc-stock-deal/

I won't be sad to see TWC go away. They have been my provider since forever since I've never had a choice, and they have always been difficult to deal with. Normally I'd say the #1 service provider buying the #2 service provider would be bad for competition and therefore prices, the world of cable providers is so tightly controlled that I don't think prices will change at all. Service for TWC customers can't get much worse either.

Truth be told, I'd like to see traditional phone lines and cable drops to all houses be replaced by fiber drops, and the infrastructure owned by either the local or state gov and bandwidth leased out to whatever provider the customer chooses to go with. I think we'd see some serious price drops if there were more competition than just "pay for our cable instead of satellite" or "pay for our phone service instead of magic jack".

Wow..

Ill take TW over Crookcast ANY day of the week.

Comcast has among some of the WORST Customer service in the country. Its well noted. They are also among some of the biggest perpetrators of capping things and taking away channels for stupid reasons.

THAT is saying something.

Im so glad we have WOW!

*edit*

Love the Consumerists name for the article

Worst Company In America Round One: Comcast Vs. Time Warner Cable

Don't get too excited Mike. I had comcast and it was absolutely terrible. I got so mad once I even emailed their CEO (found address online, lol). Getting rid of comcast was one of the best days of my life. I still get excited when they call to try to get me back and I get the satisfaction to tell them to push a rope.

I have Metronet now (local fiber) and its been really good so far. Good luck.

I worked for Comcast when I lived in Florida. I would MUCH rather have Time Warner. Comcast finds ways to charge for everything. Any TV in your house will have to have some sort of device on it, no more plugging cable into other TVs and getting basic cable. You have to get shitty little box things, only 2 are "free" any others are like $7.50/month and they charge for the service to each one and don't tell you that at first. You are forced to get their DVR, most TiVos, or the similar, will not work. If they are compatible, you still have to get a card to put in it that they will charge you monthly to use. And so many more things... Edited by Duff
holy spelling

I'd be very surprised if the FCC approves this. They didn't approve AT&T(#2) buying T-Mo(#4), I can't see them allowing #1 buying #2.

I need to find a new ISP. Any fiber providers in the Polaris area?

Their plan is to divest a large portion of TWC leaving them under 25% market share. Maybe Insight can buy their region back

Yeah I don't think there is an Insight anymore anywhere. The company people say will get some chunks is Charter.

Either way this made my decision for me. Will be switching to DirecTV soon but still need an ISP so I'll just be keeping WOW for that. Was thinking about switching to Time Warner since they have 100mbps. Comcast has even faster speeds available but it doesn't matter since they also have data caps.

Funny Story: In Naples, my wife went to one of the Comcast stores to exchange our box for a DVR unit. I waited outside; sure as shit wasn't waiting in line during my precious time in FL.

Guy in a pimpity Maserati GranTurismo 'vert ($140k sticker) drives up and opens up the door. I could see the customer service line still was 8+ deep. He looks at the line and looks back at his car. He grumbles and gets in line.

Moral of the story:

EVERYONE WAITS IN LINE FOR COMCAST

I will take this opportunity to remind people that Wow is good stuff.:thumbup:

Dunno why people hate TW so much. Seriously, never have issues with them. I think in 4 years i've had to call them once because of a bad ground wire for the HD Signal. Never have had to call them about innerets because Time Warner nets never go down.

Comcast is fucking horrid when it comes to just about everything.

If this goes through, I'll dump TIme Warner immediately. My family had Comcast in Pittsburgh for years and they were terrible. Talk about a monopoly, the only other option was satellite. Constant rate hikes, bad service from installation to customer service. When Verizon Fios finally arrived and my mom went to switch, the Comcast rep actually threatened her if she canceled her service. The colorful string of words that came from her still live on with my brother and I 6 years later. Edited by Fiji ST

Think about the declining subscription rate in cable...then, think about DSL and satellite competitors.

Now, think about Google Fiber, and other areas of new infrastructure being developed around fiber optic transmission. Let alone improvements being made in cell-phone transmission.

"Cable" is a dying form of telecommunication, I say. Will still be here for the next couple of decades, but TWC is getting out while the getting is good.