People with campers...C'mon in and learn me!

Bam

We're in the market for a camper and I know I've seen some people mention they have some so figured in addition to researching online I'd get some personal input from anyone here.

We're looking for a travel trailer that will sleep 2 adults/2 kids comfortably w/ maybe another 2 people very infrequently. I think we prefer a hard sided one, so no pop-ups. Also need the basics in our opinion of kitchen/toilet/shower and an AC unit.

I see a TON available on the used market but I am hesitant about going too old as I'd rather pay a bit more upfront and hopefully have less downtime. Also hesitant about buying new as I'm sure depreciation is a bitch on these.

I'd say budget wise we're in the 5-10k range and we don't want a behemoth size wise so I'd say max trailer weight around 5k lbs would be plenty. Thinking something in the low 20's length wise.

Any suggestions or makes/models to look at or avoid? Must have options or things that didn't really matter? Places to shop? I'm willing to travel for a good deal.

I'll post up some of the ones I've found just in my quick searches online.

Thanks

I don't own a camper but my parents does. I'm going to suggest you just go bigger the first time around.

Parents started with a small popup. That lasted the camping season then it was sold for a 19 foot camper with fold down sleeping areas. That once again lasted for the camping season when it was sold for a 29 foot camper with a slide-out.

And mom is considering upgrading to a camper with two slide outs minimum.

Three campers in three years. Just a FYI, the 29 foot camper weighs 5,500 lbs. I know with kids (my niece and nephew), you will want the room

Going to be hard pressed to be super comfy with 20 and below unless you get some with some slide outs for the sleeping area.

. Something like this 24 would be perfect for your family. Bunk beds in the back for the kids (single person and a two person)table is a bed as well for those extra guests. still has a "master bedroom"

http://www.rcdpataskala.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=02566797X3K2K2014J5I12I35JPMQ7720R0&veh=3597040

If you do go 20 and below your going to want a slide out of sort to get some extra space when sleeping.

http://www.rcdpataskala.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=02566797X3K2K2014J5I12I35JPMQ7720R0&veh=381866&pov=3616229

What is your tow vehicle? Id look for something around 26-28. I have an older 28' model that will sleep 6, Im not sure if there is a certain brand to stay away from. Most common older ones are Salem (forest river). Ours is a 94 but is mint shape inside and not bad outside. Either way as long as the suspension is not rusty and the tires are good youll be ok.

Plug into a generator and verify the ac blows cold,fridge gets cold and the water pump works.

We bought a 25' last year. Four bunks in the back, queen bed in the front. Full restroom w/ shower. Full kitchen. Two doors; full awning.

I would not suggest anything smaller than 25'.

We had < $3000 in it and it was great shape. $5000 should buy you about anything you want in a starter RV.

We're in the market for a camper and I know I've seen some people mention they have some so figured in addition to researching online I'd get some personal input from anyone here.

We're looking for a travel trailer that will sleep 2 adults/2 kids comfortably w/ maybe another 2 people very infrequently. I think we prefer a hard sided one, so no pop-ups. Also need the basics in our opinion of kitchen/toilet/shower and an AC unit.

I see a TON available on the used market but I am hesitant about going too old as I'd rather pay a bit more upfront and hopefully have less downtime. Also hesitant about buying new as I'm sure depreciation is a bitch on these.

I'd say budget wise we're in the 5-10k range and we don't want a behemoth size wise so I'd say max trailer weight around 5k lbs would be plenty. Thinking something in the low 20's length wise.

Any suggestions or makes/models to look at or avoid? Must have options or things that didn't really matter? Places to shop? I'm willing to travel for a good deal.

I'll post up some of the ones I've found just in my quick searches online.

Thanks

My wife and I will be selling ours this Spring and it would fit the bill perfectly I think. I just need to get it out of storage and make sure everything works. It is 26' long and is a bunkhouse with a super slide. If you don't get one with a slide you will be sorry. Skip the pop ups too, they are nearly as expensive and nowhere near as nice.

If you want to look one up we have a 2004 Keystone Springdale 268BH. It is really clean and has been taken care of.

Probably looking in the 7-8k range. Has A/c, heat, full kitchen, and a really cool storage wall in the side.

It weighs 5-6k pounds

Oh, I should say we have loved every minute of owning it. We have taken it out 4-5 times a year since we bought it new. I don't think there is a better family activity. My oldest is now in college and my youngest is 16 and perpetually busy so we have not had time to use it.

We will get another one someday.

My wife and I will be selling ours this Spring and it would fit the bill perfectly I think. I just need to get it out of storage and make sure everything works. It is 26' long and is a bunkhouse with a super slide. If you don't get one with a slide you will be sorry. Skip the pop ups too, they are nearly as expensive and nowhere near as nice.

If you want to look one up we have a 2004 Keystone Springdale 268BH. It is really clean and has been taken care of.

Probably looking in the 7-8k range. Has A/c, heat, full kitchen, and a really cool storage wall in the side.

It weighs 5-6k pounds

http://www.jrvcountry.com/rv/keystone/traveltrailer/538/Keystone__

if its like this wow a killer setup and deal.

We're currently towing with a 09 Suburban and don't plan to upgrade the tow vehicle anytime soon so whatever we buy will need to be able to be towed by it.

The more I'm searching I think you guys are right about the 25' being a good fit. We really want at least a queen bed for us and thinking 1 set of bunks for kids would be the best for us at this point and an extra bed can be made out of the couch or table/seat setup if needed.

Would definitely be interested in the Keystone if it does come up for sale. Did you buy it new?

How is maintenance on these things? Much to it or no? We plan to be storing it outside but I can take additional measures to keep it in good shape like tarping it/covering the tires/jacking it up if sitting for awhile if those are good ideas?

And I'm all for buying cheap but some of the used ones we're seeing aren't that much less expensive than a new one and if I'm being honest the colors/patterns used on 10year old campers is HORRIBLE. lol.

Maintenance is not a big deal. We winterized it every year and just generally keep it clean.

There is always something that does not work quite right when you get it out in the spring but they are pretty simple to work on. The best thing is there are no friendlier people than fellow campers. They are always willing to jump in and lend a hand.

A slideout really makes all the difference. I don't own one but my parents and grandparents have been really into camping/RV's since I can remember. And a single slideout gives you so much more room to "live".

If your really good with spending 10K that should be plenty to find a good camper with a slideout.

I want to get a camper, but I don't have a tow vehicle.

I also thought about buying one and just storing it at a location year round.

Then I thought about if we were really going to use it. I love the fact we could get away for a weekend but then how much would we really use it?

Then I thought about if we were really going to use it. I love the fact we could get away for a weekend but then how much would we really use it?

It is addicting but it can be a lot of work too. I would think a trailer would be a lot easier than an actual RV (what my parents operate).

There are places that you can set it up and leave it for the year. The prices vary wildly - we had it at Berkshire, which is near Sunbury, for a couple of seasons and is was like 2000 / yr. it was very nice having it all set up and ready and not having to tow it but, we were among a bunch of heavy drinkers and the parties were too much for my kids to be around. We like CrossCreek across from Alum but could never justify the 3800 / yr price tag, so I store it at Alum Creek Boat and RV and just go get it when we want it.

I can only echo what most have said.....the 28' range is about ideal for a family and I wouldn't even consider one that didn't have at least 1 slide. When you're camping storage is at a premium so you want to really go bigger than you think you need. We're a family of 5 and I have a 34' fifth wheel with 2 slides. Maintenance is no big deal really. Wash it a couple times a year, winterize/dewinterize it every year, and make sure moving parts stay lubed. That's about it really. You will have to work on it at some point but like someone else said....they're pretty simple to work on. If that scares you then you can always get an aftermarket warranty that will cover you for 5-7 years depending on the year of camper you buy.....you just have to watch the fine print on those warranties.

The new travel trailers are pretty damn nice these days. You can get them all power right down to the tongue jack and leveling jacks. Everything is push button on those. My buddy has a 28' coachman that's about 5200 lbs dry. It's a pretty nice trailer and everything is power on it.

We haul ours all over the place really. We just reserved our spot out at VA Beach last week and we're doing 3 different trips out to PA this year. It's good solid family time that the kids will remember the rest of their lives. This will be our 4th year in VA Beach so that's become tradition.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, bumping this back up as I'm hoping winter is finally over and we want to be camping by Memorial Day!

Decided we'd rather spend less and figure out what we like/don't like and need/don't need so we'd REALLY like to be at $5k purchase price but are willing to go up to $7500 all in if it means a lot more. We aren't looking to finance so that's the reason for the budget.

Casey....still interested in yours if we can make something work, LMK when you typically get yours out for the season. Thanks

Upon searching these are what I'm finding at dealers, which granted will have higher prices I'm sure but hoping that I should be able to negotiate some as well.

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2004-Tl-Industries-Riverside-28BH-111966537

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2003-R-Vision-26QBH-Trail-Cruiser-111977645

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Jayco-Jay-Flight-27BH-111835383

Any other ideas? Input on these?

Edited by Bam

Out of those 3 I would go with the Jayco, as the other 2 are not very well known or standout makers. For a starter camper though, any would likely be fine. Out of all the campers we had growing up, the Jaycos always seemed to be the best in terms of quality/ durability. Parents seemed to get a new one every few years. Generally they upgraded every time though, not because of issues or being dissatisfied. They are currently considering upgrading from their 33' tow behind Jayco to a 35'+ fifth wheel.

Not having at least one slide will be noticeable though, and I don't think any of those 3 have them. The older you go the less common slides will be and this will be especially true of the lighter weight models.

For a unit without slides, be mindful of the number and size of windows, as they really do help the camper feel less tight and cramped. Everybody says "we will be camping we won't be inside that much", but there are always rainy days when you will appreciate being able to hang out inside and not feel like you're super confined.

When checking out any camper, have the owner/ dealer open up the awning for you to prove that its in good working condition. They are easily broken if you're not clear on how they operate, and they are not cheap to replace. Also critical to enjoying hot summer days with family without cooking :).

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP!

We bought a camper yesterday and have our first trip already planned in just a couple weeks. Actually had it on the calendar for the past month and stressing on whether or not we'd have a camper in time.

NOW I'm looking for suggestions on where people like to camp/have been and recommend. We're looking to do a bit more exploring than we have in the past and I'd say at this time we're open to driving UP TO 5 hours each way. I want to limit it to that for now as I'm sure there is plenty to see/do within that range and we'd rather do quite a few 3-4 day weekends all over than a few longer trips further out.

Any ideas welcome, thanks!

The UP/Northern Michigan is ungodly sexy, although wait till its really hot here to go up and "cool off" August up there is like September here, only no humidity. Family has gone up to Frankfort Michigan for a decade +, a little over 6 hours but well worth the trip.