Shocking/treating a well

Mojoe

I'm pretty sure I have watched every youtube vid. I've read all I have been able to look up. And there just seems to be a pretty wide opinion on how to shock a well, why to shock a well, and when to do it.

Everything seems pretty simple, for the most part. I'm finding myself second guessing things, now that I have looked into it so much. I called a local well company to see about them coming out and walking me through it. That'll be $250. I'm not thinking it's a $250 job to apply bleach and a garden hose.

CR, is there someone that has treated a well, and knows a bit about what and how a well works? And would be willing to come out and double check what I'm thinking on how to do it? Time is valuable, so I'm not asking for this to be free. Maybe someone can explain how it can be a $250 cost.

Thanks

Try these guys, they did mine before i moved in.

Benchmark Environmental Laboratories

benchmarklabs.biz/‎

-Benchmark Environmental Laboratories : Legionella Testing, Water Analysis, Water Quality Tests, Bacteria in water, Mold Testing, Fungal Analysis, Bacterial ...

-4319 Indianola Ave, Columbus, OH 43214

-(614) 267-4588

-WATER TESTING. Benchmark Labs collects water samples for ...

-Benchmark Labs Inc : Real Estate Inspections Well Septic Termite ...

Here's how I shock mine.

Dump 3-6 gallons of bleach down the well. Shut off/bypass water softener.

Run water from farthest hose til I can smell the bleach.

Let it sit for a day then run water from same spot until I can't smell it anymore. Then run water at each point to clear each of those out. Then turn my water softener back on.

Note: I have a septic system and bleach is not good to I try to limit the about of bleach that gets into it.

Some people will run the hose back into the well (to conserve the water) however, my wellhead is 1200 feet from my house and it isn't practical for me.

Why do you think you need to shock this well?

To get things in balance and eliminate the sulfur smell. I have seen where that has to do with surface water and barometric pressure. But, all in all, I just want it cleared up and nothing I have seen says it goes away on its own.

I did forget to mention I do have a septic system. I have seen to not run the bleach into that, and to bypass the water softener. Good info mentioning that, thanks.

To get things in balance and eliminate the sulfur smell. I have seen where that has to do with surface water and barometric pressure. But, all in all, I just want it cleared up and nothing I have seen says it goes away on its own.

I did forget to mention I do have a septic system. I have seen to not run the bleach into that, and to bypass the water softener. Good info mentioning that, thanks.

You should also watch which cleaning products that you use which contain bleach.

I've had issues with my well and the sulfur smell. I read somewhere a while back about a bacteria that consumes Iron (I have a ton in my well) and produces a sulfur smell. Ours was bad until we treated the well, then the smell went away.

Couple of observations I have. First, make sure you don't have electrical tape securing your wiring. I know this is obvious, but if you don't know who installed it or how it might be worth taking a look. I had some wiring that was twisted together and taped. We shocked the well with bleach, and it dissolved the tape enough that the pump wire would short on the well casing and pop the breaker. I removed the extra wiring, and wire nutted the remaining wire then taped them. I have not had a problem since.

One summer I had dropped my pump to the bottom of the well to pump out extra iron and sludge. Before I put everything back together for normal operation I dropped a couple of 3" pool chlorine tablets, then put the pump back down the well. I could detect a slight chlorine smell for the next couple months, but no more than you would with city water. I've thought about doing it again.

Shocking the well is no big deal. My well sucks, but I treat it once every year or two and it works out okay.

This thread could not have been posted at a more perfect time. We are moving in two weeks and something that came up in inspection was the nasty sulfur smell to the water. The inspection guys basically told us the same thing...dump some bleach down there.

The level of what we drink these days, IMO, is pretty crazy either way. There is an issue with the changing temps and surface water, that can create the ulfer and even harmful bacteria. Most of what I have read and seen, has suggested 1 gallon of bleach. Letting that do it's work, I'm ok with that. And remember, you are flushing a good bit of it out.

I will go ahead and share my personal insight on this. I do this often as it is part of the job being a plumber. Many times sulfur type smell can be iron bacteria. You have to be thorough to try and remove this. It is bad for all parts of your well/water system to constantly dump chlorine through it. I have noticed many people saying how they bypass their softener. While chlorine can hurt a resin bed in the softener, I always introduce a small amount into one to kill the iron bacteria throughout the system. It is a bacteria so it lives and grows in there and can spread quickly back through the system if not killed. Many times you can completely get rid of all iron bacteria and never have issues again. Sometimes it is part of your well system that will return after time.

My brief explanation of how I do it:

First I use a 2" piece of pvc with a 2x3 coupling at the top with the funnel. This is long enough to reach down past the pitless adapter. I silently cuss every customer I have that dumps chlorine all over their pitless adapters. It ruins them and will cost you much more down the road. After I dump in the chlorine I do put the hose back down in the well head and circulate the water throughout the system. I do turn the softener to bypass for the time being. Next I run through each faucet briefly both hot and cold. It need to be introduced throughout the water heater as well. I let the chlorine sit in the well as long as possible. Some situations I have been able to do 48 hours. Before flushing I open up the softener to introduce the bleach in the resin. If you have a twin tank you will have to do both tanks. After running briefly through the softener I will run a hose outside into an area not harmed by the chlorine and let it run, run, and run some more. When I have non chlorinated water I run hot water to remove it from the hot water heater and I regenerate my softener to clean it out.

That is the general method I use. Many will argue it I am sure but I have been doing this for awhile and have tried many methods and this way works. I have had lots of training in different well and geothermal classes that teach the same methods.

We got our place last year. The couple we bought from had the septic pumped, well treated, topped off the 500 gal propane back up, and left us with 3 filters for everything. They were pretty awesome, needless to say. I didn't know these systems very well either. So for the home inspection, I made sure I went with my guy, and he explain everything. I recorded it on the camera, so I can reference it down the road.

I read up on caring for septic. There's a lot out there. Depending on the number of people in the house, depends on how often you have it emptied. As for caring for a well, there is a lot out there as well. For the most part, I'd say a big portion of that is covered in this thread, as for regular maintenance.

Treated well. Changed filters. Bypassed softener. No water pressure. Have watched 3 hours of youtube, read every article I could find. Called all the people I know with wells. Troubleshoot pressure tank. Drained hot water tank for sediment, nothing.

Amaze me with something I have missed.