'14 Dodge Dart

Putty

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess asking on CR means I need to be buying a race car. It's a 4 banger, so performance clearly isn't a concern. Creature comforts and mpg is what turns me on.

The new Fords are very nice. I really like the fusions.

what "fully loaded" options are you looking for?

If your not looking for like fast fun to drive, you can get a decently optioned new accord for 26k. Standard features a backup camera, Bluetooth, and smartphone/media integration on every model. The EX trim adds Honda's smart entry keyless entry and ignition system, a one-touch power moonroof, the LaneWatch blind spot monitoring system, and most come with a sunroof.

Shes not crazy but your butt wont pucker up in fear when you have to merge on a freeway, but gets awesome MPG , not some tiny crap can that you hear and feel every road noise. its quite comfortable and spacious inside (my daughters car seats in there and the front seats are still pushed all the way back) and cheap on insurance too. Plus cant go wrong with honda resale and reliability.

Only thing i can see it missing compared to the fart is leather seats. Or am i missing some features?

http://www.germainhondaofdublin.com/new/Honda/2014-Honda-Accord-Columbus-c51df68a0a0a006566f86ad846eff40e.htm

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2014-honda-accord-hybrid_100400685_m.jpg

http://images.gizmag.com/hero/2014-honda-accord-hybrid-50-mpg-epa-15.jpg

If your not looking for like fast fun to drive, you can get a decently optioned new accord for 26k. Standard features a backup camera, Bluetooth, and smartphone/media integration on every model. The EX trim adds Honda's smart entry keyless entry and ignition system, a one-touch power moonroof, the LaneWatch blind spot monitoring system, and most come with a sunroof.

Shes not crazy but your butt wont pucker up in fear when you have to merge on a freeway, but gets awesome MPG , not some tiny crap can that you hear and feel every road noise. its quite comfortable and spacious inside (my daughters car seats in there and the front seats are still pushed all the way back) and cheap on insurance too. Plus cant go wrong with honda resale and reliability.

Only thing i can see it missing compared to the fart is leather seats. Or am i missing some features?

I do like the syling of the new accords, especially the coupes.

My point here is you can't get a fully loaded Kia Optima for 26K. In fact, it's 36K which I saw at the show. For what's in the Dart, I cannot find another car that offers it for the same $$.

My fiance drives a '13 Optima SX, fully loaded. Sticker in summer of 2012, when she bought it new, was $32K. We got it for less than the price of that plastic-fantastic Dodge Dart. 2.0 turbo motor, 274HP, 30+MPG. Car is large and comfy, gets good mileage, and can boogie out if you need it to.

She's put 36K miles on it, hasn't been in the dealership for ANY work ever.

you can get a decently optioned new accord for 26k. Standard features a backup camera, Bluetooth, and smartphone/media integration on every model. The EX trim adds Honda's smart entry keyless entry and ignition system, a one-touch power moonroof, the LaneWatch blind spot monitoring system, and most come with a sunroof.

Pretty sure this Dart comes with all that (minus Lane Watch, which is kind of gimmicky and useless IMO anyway) as well as remote start, heated seats, leather seats, per driver seat, 8.4" touch screen, SAT/NAV, iPod integration, 1 year of free Sirius, and probably more things I'm forgetting.

not some tiny crap can that you hear and feel every road noise.

Have you seen any reviews of the Dart? One of the criticisms has been that they included too much content for a car in this class, including overdoing the NVH isolation.

Pretty sure this Dart comes with all that (minus Lane Watch, which is kind of gimmicky and useless IMO anyway) as well as remote start, heated seats, leather seats, per driver seat, 8.4" touch screen, SAT/NAV, iPod integration, 1 year of free Sirius, and probably more things I'm forgetting.

Rain-sensing wipers,Automatic High-Beam Control Headlamps, High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps, ParkSense Rear Park Assist System+, Blind Spot Monitoring+, Rear Cross Path Detection+, Security Alarm, Heated Steering wheel.

They packed this car with all kinds of stuff.

My fiance drives a '13 Optima SX, fully loaded. Sticker in summer of 2012, when she bought it new, was $32K. We got it for less than the price of that plastic-fantastic Dodge Dart. 2.0 turbo motor, 274HP, 30+MPG. Car is large and comfy, gets good mileage, and can boogie out if you need it to.

She's put 36K miles on it, hasn't been in the dealership for ANY work ever.

I had no idea Kia's were costing this much. They have come a long way. Hyundai as well. I like the Azera

http://www.germainhondaofdublin.com/new/Honda/2014-Honda-Accord-Columbus-c51df68a0a0a006566f86ad846eff40e.htm

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2014-honda-accord-hybrid_100400685_m.jpg

http://images.gizmag.com/hero/2014-honda-accord-hybrid-50-mpg-epa-15.jpg

New Accords are nice. My ex had a 11 or 12 V6 coupe 6spd and it was rather quick. Loved driving it. Knowing that, I'd never buy the 4cyl of the Accord.

Rain-sensing wipers,Automatic High-Beam Control Headlamps, High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps, ParkSense Rear Park Assist System+, Blind Spot Monitoring+, Rear Cross Path Detection+, Security Alarm, Heated Steering wheel.

They packed this car with all kinds of stuff

I'm curious what took it up to 26k? Is this before any incentives? I'm pretty sure I fully loaded a GT online and it was 23,700, but that included $1500 cash back.

You have already seen it in person, excited about it, deflect any suggestions. sounds like a done deal. just lock this thread.

I'm not deflecting anything. No one has offered a comparable car for the price I mentioned. Every suggestion has been a mid level vehicle of a different model or something nearly double the price.

I have bought several new cars and once I left I thought maybe I should have gotten an option I decided against. Therefore, in this car, I want everything they can pack into it at what I am looking to spend. Are there better cars, sure. The Honda's and Ford's are nice, but when I get to the lot I'm going to want the best they have and those are not 26K.

I'm curious what took it up to 26k? Is this before any incentives? I'm pretty sure I fully loaded a GT online and it was 23,700, but that included $1500 cash back.

I think it was the NAV. This car at the show was 23K and it was sans NAV

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/CLovaR1/0316141541_zps34002590.jpg

Yeah, I loaded another one up with engine block heater, spare tire, NAV, and anything else I could find and it finally got up over 25k. You could probably get a decent deal on it too, since it's been a slow seller.

Honestly, it offers the most features for the price than any other car in it's class. It blows the Cruze out of the water, but the Cruze will get better MPG. There was just a review on TTAC for the new Chrysler 200 where they blasted all the competitor's infotainment interface compared to the UConnect. (Accord was called stone age in comparison)

I've never driven one, so I can't comment on the dynamics.

I'm not deflecting anything. No one has offered a comparable car for the price I mentioned. Every suggestion has been a mid level vehicle of a different model or something nearly double the price.

I have bought several new cars and once I left I thought maybe I should have gotten an option I decided against. Therefore, in this car, I want everything they can pack into it at what I am looking to spend. Are there better cars, sure. The Honda's and Ford's are nice, but when I get to the lot I'm going to want the best they have and those are not 26K.

Uh, I suggested an Optima SX, which can be had loaded for the $26k you quoted for the Dart. It's a 4 cylinder sedan that gets good fuel milage, has a touch screen nav system, bluetooth audio, heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, panoramic sun roof, etc, etc, etc. I sat in a few Darts at last year's autoshow, and WOW, was it a sea of super cheap hard plastic. Left me VERY unimpressed.

Totally sounds like you're deflecting. You came here asking what we thought, and to provide alternate ideas. You've been pointed towards a new VW TDI, a new Optima, a new Accord, new Focus, used Fuzion, and a used Caddy. You've poo-pooed all of them, and in my eye are they are superior vehicles. It's clear that you've already made up your mind. If you want the Dart, you want the Dart, and that's fine! Just go buy it already.

It appears the sole purpose of the vehicle is to proudly exclaim that you bought one "fully optioned", and to have some whizbang stuff on the inside. The car itself, the drivetrain and performance/longevity appear to be distant thoughts.

FWIW, here are the slowest selling cars at the moment, some with aggressive incentives.

Make Model Feb ’14 Average Days to Turn Feb ’14 Average Incentive

1 Fiat 500 148 $1,907

2 Buick Verano 143 $3,178

3 Chevy Sonic 138 $1,577

4 Cadillac ATS 137 $6,508

5 Volkswagen GTI/Rabbit/Golf 137 $1,963

6 Dodge Dart 124 $2,210

7 Hyundai Genesis 119 $3,145

8 Chrysler 300 – Series 114 $4,942

9 Chevy Tahoe 107 $7,377

10 Ford Flex 106 $4,502

Hopefully you can negotiate a good deal if nothing else.

My two cents.....buying new is a Mcsteak. Buying anything Dodge "new" is a double McSteak samich. The only exception is perhaps a turbo or a sports car that could have been abused. You'll be upside down money wise faster than the car can hit 60mph. Your money though.

Personally, there are plenty of suggestions in this thread that would meet what you've suggested. Step one, get with our friend over in Cambridge at Jet. Can't go wrong with proven referrals and good people. Step two, work with him on the previously suggested cars.

FWIW, the Dart is one of the better looking sedans for what it offers. I like others better but at least the one you pictured isn't a turd looks-wise.

Good luck.

I've been renting cars for trips lately, and one of them was a mid-level Dart. It's widened from the Fiat platform, and you can tell. It feels more like a mid-size car, which personally I don't like. The interior didn't impress me (again, not the top of the line model so YMMV), and I didn't find the seat very comfortable. The suspension was compliant and soft, but the driving dynamics were lackluster and the engine was wheezy. I like the way they look and I wanted to like it, but I walked away disappointed.

Are you looking for a mid-size? I think there are better mid-size cars on the market, but as you say, you're going to pay more.

If you're looking for a compact, I haven't found anything I like driving more than the Mazda3. The MSRP tops out at $27k, I'm sure you can get one that's feature competitive for around 26k. Check it out. Honorable mention goes to the Cruze LTZ.

It think you are referring to the 1.4 turbo, but I think he's looking at a 2.4L GT, which also has a retuned suspension.

I have to agree that for the money (comparing new car MSRP's) the Dart offers a lot of features and a nicer interior than the competetion. I haven't driven one but I have sat in and played with a few. The UConnect is routinely reviewed as the best infotainment interface in the industry and there are apps being released.

I say buy what you think fits your needs best. It's not fast but gets decent mileage and offers a lot of features. If I were buying a Dart I would probably try for a 1.4T manual, but in '14 you can only get this in the Aero, so the 2.4L with GT suspension would probably happen by default.

Whole car's a Fart. Uconnect is the best for droid, btw. It does not function well with Iphones. Many of the features fail to function.