Speedlite Tips

wagner

What filter and why?

Fire them in RAW and bump up the exposure a bit. Depending on the capabilities of the camera, the shadows will likely need to be lifted. One drawback to the 70D is the Dynamic Range.

Circular polarizer and was told I had to use one going forward on all outdoor/outside shots.

I'm a ham fisted idiot still with Lightroom and can only take gross pictures and just make them look kind of bad.

I love how this went from how to use a speedlite to going full on American Idol on my pictures :lol:

My editor ad Dragzine loves my work still, promise I'm not that big of an idiot :)

http://www.dragzine.com/race-coverage/drag-radial-events/photo-extra-all-the-sights-from-lights-out-v-in-south-georgia/

Circular polarizer and was told I had to use one going forward on all outdoor/outside shots.

Gotcha. Wasn't sure. I saw someone the other day with a skylight filter over a portrait lens and sometimes shake my head when I see a $100 filter over a $1k lens.

With polarizers just be sure to account for the drop in light coming in when it comes to exposure settings. It's usually 1.5-2 stops of light.

I'm a ham fisted idiot still with Lightroom and can only take gross pictures and just make them look kind of bad.

Your kinda bad is better than most good elsewhere. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

I love how this went from how to use a speedlite to going full on American Idol on my pictures :lol:

:p

When it comes to the blue color coming from the flash you'll need to gel it to match whatever white balance you're set at. Your flash is temperature balanced to sunlight, so when you shoot in a room lit with really warm tungsten lights you need an orange gel over the flash to match the ambient temperature. They're super easy to use and make a world of differnece in getting rid of the "I used flash" look.

Fire them in RAW and bump up the exposure a bit. Depending on the capabilities of the camera, the shadows will likely need to be lifted. One drawback to the 70D is the Dynamic Range.

Based on the below Exif I would do the following.

Shoot f/8. Any higher isn't necessary. ISO 100 on a tripod but honestly you won't need one.

Get lower. Shoot RAW.

Better yet, pop on the 70-200 you had, step back and zoom in. You'll have plenty of DOF and yet the background will blur and help you isolate the subject more.

This.

A Polarizer isn't a bad thing but it can give a "Too much" look if the sky is nice and blue already or turn white snow blue.

There are a ton of rules / guidelines but the trick is seeing when they apply and when they don't. I doubt there is a single thing that I do "No matter what" other than making sure there is a battery and memory card in the camera :)

Jeff

I don't like this pic because you can't see the entire tach sweep (I had to take it a weird angle because I was trying to do this in 5 minutes and my two kids seats made me getting in the back-seat impossible) but I was thinking something darker like this for an interior shot:

13368160365_a3aff65bf4_b.jpg

No flash. ISO 100 and a few second exposure. I just lifted the garage door up half-way to get a little light in (Otherwise garage dark).

Jeff