Zero-Turn vs. Compact Tractor or Both!

IPS Mike

I recently purchased just under 7 acres of land in the Mansfield area. Our plan is to build a house and garage. It is partially wooded with a stream but will most likely end up mowing 4+ acres.

#1 priority will be to mow. Secondary will be to move things. (Dirt, snow, Etc.)

Let me know your thoughts!

like I said in another post, get a Ferris, They have zero turns that have fully independant suspension. mine mows at over 10mph and makes light work of mowing... it also comes with a striping kit, etc.... These mowers will mow any surface and it does not need to be just flat land... it seriously destroys all other mowers that I've ever owned.

as far as snow removal, etc... buy yourself an ATV, get a dump truck for it as well as a snow blade.. IMO mowers are not that good for utility type stuff...

I would absolutely buy a compact tractor with as many attachments as I could afford to maintain 4-7 acres. Whether or not I bought a zero turn later on would determine how long it takes to mow with the tractor.

I mow a little over 2 with a 54" garden tractor, and it goes pretty quick, but top speed of the tractor blows.

Gravel drive?

Yes, purchase a compact diesel tractor with a front end loader and use this to mow/etc. Once you build the house and get your landscaping done, that will be the time for a zero turn. I have both, started with the tractor and later on got my Dixie Chopper. I mow a littler over 3acres and with the zero turn, it is done around a hour.

I have around 5 acres. Lots of hills and some woods, etc.

I ended up going with a Kubota 2360 and added the Front End Loader.

It does a GREAT job cutting the grass, plus I use it for odds and ends around the house all the time. I was very skeptical spending so much on something to "cut grass" but it has been worth it's weight in gold.

They also hold a very good value. So if you can find a new dealer willing to invoice one out during one of Kubotas 0% sales, you would be better off than buying a used one.

http://twentywheels.com/imgs/a/a/c/o/g/kubota_bx2360_with_front_loader_and_mower_deck_1_lgw.jpg

Do you leave the front loader on it while mowing? Also is it difficult to swap stuff around?

I have around 5 acres. Lots of hills and some woods, etc.

I ended up going with a Kubota 2360 and added the Front End Loader.

It does a GREAT job cutting the grass, plus I use it for odds and ends around the house all the time. I was very skeptical spending so much on something to "cut grass" but it has been worth it's weight in gold.

They also hold a very good value. So if you can find a new dealer willing to invoice one out during one of Kubotas 0% sales, you would be better off than buying a used one.

http://twentywheels.com/imgs/a/a/c/o/g/kubota_bx2360_with_front_loader_and_mower_deck_1_lgw.jpg

Do you leave the front loader on it while mowing? Also is it difficult to swap stuff around?

It depends. Sometimes I take it off, sometimes I leave it on.

Mowing with the FEL attached doesn't bug me, except for when I am really close to the house.

It only takes a minute to attach or take off the loader or deck though. Very easy.

anticipating a concrete drive. approx 150-180ft

I would absolutely buy a compact tractor with as many attachments as I could afford to maintain 4-7 acres. Whether or not I bought a zero turn later on would determine how long it takes to mow with the tractor.

I mow a little over 2 with a 54" garden tractor, and it goes pretty quick, but top speed of the tractor blows.

Gravel drive?

I have been looking at a 53 Ford Golden Jubilee. Is this something that I can get away with until I have the need for the zero turn?

Does it come with attachments ? I would not want to mow with one myself. You will get a good work out. If the old ford runs good and has a bucket and maybe a scraper blade on the rear you would get some good use out of it. How much $

Yes, I leave the front loader on my tractor for mowing. I have a Yanmar 1610d with a Buschhog loader and a 60 inch Sitrex mower. I purchased this tractor from a container load(total of 8 tractors) 15 years ago and it still runs great. Today, there are many options for a compact diesel tractor. Back when I was looking a compact tractor there wasn't too many options, so I imported due to cost. Today, Kuboka and others have came down in price, however, my set up was about half the cost of the similar John Deere and Kuboka options.

Well my thoughts were to pickup the ford now and then look at the zero-turn at the beginning of next mowing season.

The Ford has a few options included (bushhog and blade) and could be had for around 2k.

I just can't see dropping close to 15 or 20 in a tractor....

Does it come with attachments ? I would not want to mow with one myself. You will get a good work out. If the old ford runs good and has a bucket and maybe a scraper blade on the rear you would get some good use out of it. How much $

I bought a used Kobota after I found a deal where a 72" finish mower and loader was included.

I was looking at buying a new Kioti though. http://www.kioti.com/

I have a little over 5 acres mowing around 3.5-4 and lots of trees. In just a few years I have added a scraper blade, box blade, landscape rake, and pallet forks.

I use my tractor to mow everywhere except by the house. I use a 54" Cub (really should have bought a 42") and also use it to trim next to the driveway.

Also, I've heard it said, when looking for a tractor, budget for the biggest and buy the next larger size. Both my my neighbors have said they wish they bought bigger tractors.

How much did you have in the kobota deal if you don't mind me asking?

I bought a used Kobota after I found a deal where a 72" finish mower and loader was included.

I was looking at buying a new Kioti though. http://www.kioti.com/

I have a little over 5 acres mowing around 3.5-4 and lots of trees. In just a few years I have added a scraper blade, box blade, landscape rake, and pallet forks.

I use my tractor to mow everywhere except by the house. I use a 54" Cub (really should have bought a 42") and also use it to trim next to the driveway.

Also, I've heard it said, when looking for a tractor, budget for the biggest and buy the next larger size. Both my my neighbors have said they wish they bought bigger tractors.

I just can't see dropping close to 15 or 20 in a tractor....

Unless pricing has drastically changed,.... you should be able to find a brand new BX with 60" deck for under 10k (without the loader) Then the 0% for 60 months makes the deal even sweeter.

I had an old beater I tried to keep running before. I had more into maintenance on that thing than it was worth. May have just got unlucky on that one though.

I built one on their site and it was at 19 and change with a loader....

I may need to go see a dealer!

Unless pricing has drastically changed,.... you should be able to find a brand new BX with 60" deck for under 10k (without the loader) Then the 0% for 60 months makes the deal even sweeter.

I had an old beater I tried to keep running before. I had more into maintenance on that thing than it was worth. May have just got unlucky on that one though.

Gravel drive?

this, except mine is 48"

http://www.steinerturf.com/

They do it all. Add all sorts of attachments. Front deck mower so you can get in and around thing like low trees. Decent turn radius. Much better than a lot of other "tractors". Has the power to do more than a lot of other tractors. Used them at a school back when I was a youngen.