Maintaing Ohio License Plate(s) in California

vertmustang98gt

I'll have the opportunity to move out to California in the coming months it appears.

My question for everyone, is it legal to have an Ohio Plate on a vehicle in California, if I maintain a mailing address in Ohio? I'd be living there for the next three to five year and I wouldn't be voting in any California elections (I'd avoid claiming residence). I'd like to claim myself as a guest worker, if possible.

The licensing and fees to transfer cars are ridiculous in California ($400+ each vehicle) among other reasons why I'd not want to get Cali plates.

No, it's not legal.

"Resident" means any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.

Source

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:

Accept gainful employment in California.

Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.

Rent or lease a residence in California.

Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).

Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

Source

That said, financially it may be worth the gamble. I'm not your lawyer and I don't know how things work in California, so use this terrible advice at your own risk. I'd just be sure to update your address with your insurance company.

I found the same information online as everyone else did and I know people break the rules (I was trying not too). I'd only fall under two criteria of working in California.

Accept gainful employment in California.

Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.

Rent or lease a residence in California.

Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).

Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

The renter criteria, I know I could avoid. The gainful employment part is so subjective and under that blanket statement, it would apply to guest workers, etc.

The only option I thought of was to transfer the cars to someone else's name with an Ohio mailing address. I'd have to get a California Drivers License and insurance. These two things may supersede the owner's address of the car, but I'm not 100% sure.

(Would this work? @1fastSTI)

My Mustang would undoubtedly fail E-Check so yeah...

Move and don't own a car. Give it to your parents and say they are letting you borrow it for a short time.

Not sure how all that works though.

I'd be surprised if it's this easy to do. If it is, this will be the route I take.

Has anyone known someone or done this themselves?

I'd be surprised if it's this easy to do. If it is, this will be the route I take.

don't know. I can say when I lived in Toronto back in the early 2000's I never moved my plates. I "borrowed" my relatives car that was registered in Ohio. Only had one speeding ticket while there. No one ever bothered me.

don't know. I can say when I lived in Toronto back in the early 2000's I never moved my plates. I "borrowed" my relatives car that was registered in Ohio. Only had one speeding ticket while there. No one ever bothered me.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you handle the insurance aspect?

If you don't mind me asking, how did you handle the insurance aspect?

In Ohio insurance follows the owner of the car, thus my father took a slight risk with me borrowing "his car" However, he did so all through college too and he was good with that :gabe: Payment wise, I simply wrote him a check. You'll need to get a Cali Drivers license either way so do that once you get set up with your new job.

Move and don't own a car. Give it to your parents and say they are letting you borrow it for a short time.

Not sure how all that works though.

this^^ when I was looking into moving out there I know my Camaro would never pass their emissions inspections and I was told to sign the car over to a parent/sibling here in Ohio and keep the plates registered as Ohio plates then their emissions law(s) wont apply since the car isn't a California registered car.

BUT this was back in 2008

A trust would be cheaper

This is something I'm going to look into for my military truck. SC doesn't allow historic plates on vehicles weighting over 9,000lbs so I'd have to pay for 24,000lb commercial plates which are several hundred per year.

A trust from Ohio sounds good, but I wonder how it really works when you get right down to it. I know in Ohio the plates would be good for 50yrs, but who is it insured through, what happens when you get pulled over or involved in an accident, does anyone actually care or know what the trust is actually being used to avoid? If I can find answers to these questions it will make the decision pretty easy. SC has much simpler trailer laws. You get a plate thats good forever for $25.

This is something I'm going to look into for my military truck. SC doesn't allow historic plates on vehicles weighting over 9,000lbs so I'd have to pay for 24,000lb commercial plates which are several hundred per year.

A trust from Ohio sounds good, but I wonder how it really works when you get right down to it. I know in Ohio the plates would be good for 50yrs, but who is it insured through, what happens when you get pulled over or involved in an accident, does anyone actually care or know what the trust is actually being used to avoid? If I can find answers to these questions it will make the decision pretty easy. SC has much simpler trailer laws. You get a plate thats good forever for $25.

In theory its no different than driving a company vehicle. In reality, no clue.

Transferring the title to an owner isn't impossible, but the whole insurance thing is what scares me. I don't mind getting my driver's license transferred over.

I appreciate all the Real World advice from everyone. I will delve in further, but I think I may have a winner.

Transferring the title to an owner isn't impossible, but the whole insurance thing is what scares me. I don't mind getting my driver's license transferred over.

Set up the LLC and transfer the title to the company for $1. Your insurance will likely go up slightly but the other benefits tip the deal into your favor. Talk with your accountant.

In theory its no different than driving a company vehicle. In reality, no clue.

Obviously its registered in the LLC/trust name. I suppose insurance is paid by the LLC as well. The added paper work makes it a little annoying. Just checked SC fees. Looks like $180 annually, thats about half of Ohio fee.

Guest fist302

I would recommend buying a used California car.

A extended rental, Uber or Zipcar can get you some temporary wheels when you first arrive.

Edited by fist302

It will not work trust me, they have special chp units just for this shit. On top of your neighbors snitching you out for the money of turning an illegal out of state car, chp will make a case on you. California covered every single door, only way is military/school. Ohio bmv will work with the dmv and give dates on everything. 2 of my neighbors have been busted in the past year. One from ohio and one from oregon, the guy from Oregon lost his car because he cant afford the impound and back fees. He was instate over a year past the given time and was fined daily. When you get your license they will read over and make sure you sign by every law the person went over. Its just going to take for you to get pulled over one time, or someone turning you in. They will drag whoever the cars name is in, the insurance company, your job ect.