Unmarked white Prius with license plate readers?

Cereal_Killer

Has anyone seen one of these around? It's got normal license plates and a normal looking guy driving (I can tell he's not in a uniform threw the dark tint) with the same license plate camera system used in sheriff cruisers around here that have two readers/cameras with built in IR lights mounted on either side of the vehicle looking forward/out (usually mounted on the roof of SUV's or the trunk lid of Crown Vic's). On this Prius its roof mounted.

I've seen a few (maybe the same one different times) drive around residential streets scanning plates. Who are they and what are they doing? Are they cops/govt just collecting data or are they private (say a repo firm or bail agent) or cops looking for someone specific?

We don't owe anyone any money or have an legal troubles so I'm not worried they're looking for me, I just wonder who would want this info other than police or what someone would use it to do/find/learn and of it is the cops why bother with an unmarked vehicle with such a noticeable system mounted to the top of a white Prius with black windows, not very inconspicuous...

Edited by Cereal_Killer

I have seen a few different repo spotter cars with a similar functioning but cheaper system of window mounted cameras but this was without a doubt the exact make/model of system used by Franklin County and freeway enforcement CPD cruisers.

If I see it again I will get a picture of it. At first coming down the street I thought it was going to be a GPS/mapping car but it was the license plate reading equipment, not regular cameras.

Bail bondsmen and financial institutions (for repos) use LPRs.

I have seen a few different repo spotter cars with a similar functioning but cheaper system of window mounted cameras but this was without a doubt the exact make/model of system used by Franklin County and freeway enforcement CPD cruisers.

If I see it again I will get a picture of it. At first coming down the street I thought it was going to be a GPS/mapping car but it was the license plate reading equipment, not regular cameras.

i answered your question. the LPRs are cheaper, therefore moving into the private sector.

Needs banned.

?

Typically there is a nationwide database of cars that have sent in for repossession. It scans plates checks database vs the list and flashes order if something pops up. Verification of vehicle still falls on the agent in the field.