Help painting My Car.

hasuna

Hello everyone. Lurker here needing some insight. I'm planning to repaint my Miata. Iv never painted before but i have been doing a lot of searching and I'm still kind of confused about a couple things. I'm hoping you guys can clear a few things up for me.

My car is currently white, I want to go black. The body is pretty straight. It do have a few dings and scratches. A tiny amount of bondo and putty will clear all that up. I know I need to sand down my clear coat. I've read online people using everything from 300grit to 800. what grit should i use? Should i wet sand? Do I just sand the clear off and lay down new paint? Should i wet sand the new paint before laying down the clear? After fixing the dents I know I have to feather and lay down primer. Can I use spray can primer? Other then self etching should I look for anything else?

I apologize for all the questions, and TIA.

Stop. Don't paint your car without proper training. You've already listed several things in this thread that make me believe this is a BAD idea. This is not something you can learn on the fly like you can with mechanical work.

Painting a car is not that difficult. I have helped with a few this month and having never seen it before i figured alot more went into it than it did. I am sure with practice comes alot better results and getting comfortable with the trigger of the gun was the hardest especially since its different from my residential paint sprayers. I was surprised how much wet sanding made the appearance look so much better after the clear dried. From what i have learned there isnt much use in trying to skimp on materials and go quality from the start. If you dont like the results sand it off and do it again which we also had to do on one because of color. Best thing is to do prep prep prep before painting to get the best results you can.

After much searching, I don't think I'm going to paint it. Way out of my league as of now. I will how ever practice my body work skills. I think I'm going to try and fix what little is wrong and maybe send it to a painter.

After much searching, I don't think I'm going to paint it. Way out of my league as of now. I will how ever practice my body work skills. I think I'm going to try and fix what little is wrong and maybe send it to a painter.

What year is the car? Is the paint peeling off the primer?

1990. It's peeling off the primer in a couple areas. There's a few pin holes on the hood. There's also a lot of chipping on the bumper. Somebody tried to spray paint part of it at one point.

I keep reading the white 90-93ish cars have paint bonding issues.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd47/earthur11/100_0200.jpg

If you prep the car correctly Maaco is a pretty good option. Just make sure you do all the sanding, wiping down of the car, taping, etc. Maaco guys are there to just pump out cars and don't have time to lay down tape correctly. They roll it in and shoot it, but painting a car is all about prep work. And if you end up getting paint on you windows using this option, use fine steel wool or a razor blade to remove it.