Help interpreting shop manual

PRD2BDF

English isn't my first language and I know we have some ase cert people as well mechanics.

Here is the official guide for checking transmission fluid level.

http://saabworld.net/f69/saab-9-3-automatic-transmission-fluid-level-check-adjust-24605/

My issue is that I can't understand it as having to check it at the two different temperatures or checking at one temperature is fine. Also it doesnt specify if the temperature is for the engine or the transmission.

I just changed the fluid in my transmission and I am not sure which procedure to follow, one or the other or both.

Doh, forgot to say that I have the six speed automatic

Many thanks.

I realized that I forgot to add that I had the six speed automatic so I added that.

Here's what I did based on my understanding.

Drained and refilled with same amount that came out. Let car run for a few minutes, changed gears then took out the small bolt and allowed it to drain until it stopped. Repeated twice. I have no idea of the tranny temperature as I don't have a tech 2 and I thought it referred to engine temp

Basically looks like you just need to remove the plug they spoke of, if it leaks trans fluid t is good.

Personally I'd pull the plug, leave it out until it stopped draining and then fill until it drained again, then button it up and it should be good.

Edited by Geeesammy

I realized that I forgot to add that I had the six speed automatic so I added that.

Here's what I did based on my understanding.

Drained and refilled with same amount that came out. Let car run for a few minutes, changed gears then took out the small bolt and allowed it to drain until it stopped. Repeated twice. I have no idea of the tranny temperature as I don't have a tech 2 and I thought it referred to engine temp

I wouldn't put a lot of worry into temp, if the car is up to temp and you've drove it normally for a few miles it should be fine, because you don't want it overheated from driving it hard either. Leave the engine running and remove plug, fill until some spills out, do not count the initial little bit because some will get into that tube when driving. That article looks like it was written by some anal Saab owner, the main reason to check it running is because the trans is designed to operate with a certain level in the pan at a certain temp, the tube gong up is the level, and while ATF does change level with temp its not as severe as some make it out to be. Basically it just needs to be up to a normal temp and not overheated.

Basically looks like you just need to remove the plug they spoke of, if it leaks coolant it is good.

Personally I'd pull the plug, leave it out until it stopped draining and then fill until it drained again, then button it up and it should be good.

Leaks coolant huh? Keep these lame responses up in the tech threads and I'll delete them. Personally you didn't give a very good description at all.

I wouldn't put a lot of worry into temp, if the car is up to temp and you've drove it normally for a few miles it should be fine, because you don't want it overheated from driving it hard either. Leave the engine running and remove plug, fill until some spills out, do not count the initial little bit because some will get into that tube when driving. That article looks like it was written by some anal Saab owner, the main reason to check it running is because the trans is designed to operate with a certain level in the pan at a certain temp, the tube gong up is the level, and while ATF does change level with temp its not as severe as some make it out to be. Basically it just needs to be up to a normal temp and not overheated.

Leaks coolant huh? Keep these lame responses up in the tech threads and I'll delete them. Personally you didn't give a very good description at all.

I meant ATF. I was half asleep.