Best public golf courses

Lauren

Hey what's everyone's opinions on public golf courses here in Columbus. I live in Westerville so courses close by would be great. Looking at playing Blackhawk tomorrow how is it ? What about royal something or another ?

Raymond Memorial.

/thread

You're kidding, right? Raymond is ok, not even close to the top though.

Turnberry is a great course in Pickerington. I try to play there weekly.

If you're willing to drive to Johnstown there's a ton of really really nice courses there.

You're kidding, right? Raymond is ok, not even close to the top though.

Turnberry is a great course in Pickerington. I try to play there weekly.

If you're willing to drive to Johnstown there's a ton of really really nice courses there.

I don't need it to be near the top. It's a Robert Trent Jones course, old school and a great size/layout. Cheap, and close to me on the west side. Great for winter golfing as well.

I've played New Albany Links a few years ago, and played New Albany Country Club today. You'll get some good and bad holes out of every course in Central Ohio, especially from public courses.

I've been to them all in one capacity or another.

North Star is nice, long and fairly open.

Bent Tree, nice mix

Royal American, nice mix little out there but worth it IMO

New Albaney Links, avg course, but nice

Glen Ross, Flat Open, Decent

Golf Club of Dublin, really similar to glen ross IMO

Black Hawk, Nice old club, again decent mix of holes

Eaglesticks, about as nice as public can be

Jefferson is good

Cooks Creek, okay track

ect

Most of those courses are normally well kept and run fairly good.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sections/sports/golf/golf-directory.html

If you have any questions, golf is semi what I do now-a-days so I can make recommendations. If you're close to a country club, man they tend to be the best golf, playing many to all of them in Columbus spoils you for public course, even if you're average like me.

Royal American is a good little track, Id say its better then Blackhawk.

Some that are close to you worth playing:

Clover Valley

Kyber Run (dog trackish)

Others to Check Out:

Rivera

New Albany Links

Winding Hollow AKA Tarten East

Golf Club of Dublin

Glen Ross

Eagle Sticks

Cooks Creek

Northstar

Bent Tree, nice mix

Jefferson is good

Cooks Creek, okay track

ect

If you have any questions, golf is semi what I do now-a-days so I can make recommendations. If you're close to a country club, man they tend to be the best golf, playing many to all of them in Columbus spoils you for public course, even if you're average like me.

We are debating whether to join worthington hills. We have a few clients there members there and they say the course is nice and it's a decent club to join.

I was a member at two different courses in Florida but have yet to join here. I hate public courses because they are always so backed up.

Golf is something you have to be willing to travel inside an hour for, IMO.

I like:

St Albans - Alexandria

Glen Ross - Delaware

Blackhawk - Sunbury

Royal American Links - Galena

Clover Valley - Johnstown

Echo Springs - Johnstown (Favorite)

Winding Hollow - New Albany/Johnstown

Oakhaven - Delaware

Golf Course of Dublin - Dublin

Bent Tree, nice mix

Jefferson is good

Cooks Creek, okay track

ect

^This guy is an idiot.^

As you know, your opinion of a golf course is biased and completely open to your own evaluation. It also depends on your skill level as you may play a course like Cooks Creek and appreciate the condition but it is difficult and you may not score well meaning you don't really like it (like Brandon...).

My personal favorite public courses in central Ohio, in no particular order, are:

-Bent Tree - cheap, challenging, nice

-Golf Club of Dublin - cheap, open, links course

-New Albany Links

-North Star - newish to Delaware, very nice

-Eagle Sticks

-Riviera (play it this year as it will probably be bulldozed next spring) - long, fun

-Darby Creek - links style, lots of tall grass so straight off the tee is crucial

-Cooks Creek (John Cook designed and owned...awesome course)

-Longaberger - a bit pricey and far away but very nice course

-Golf Club of Delaware (Formerly Dornach CC)

I always try and book on Golfnow.com for local deals...all of these courses participate and if you have an open schedule you can play a lot of golf for CHEAP.

I have been a member at Riviera (back when it was still private) and Scioto Reserve. I have played 99% of the public and private courses in central Ohio and can give you a good bit of insight.

Worthington Hills is very nice, old course. In my opinion, they have some of the nicest, fastest greens in Ohio. Depending on how old you are, they also have different pricing for memberships that make joining very enticing. They just re-did their pool area this year. They do have a food and beverage minimum which I don't like.

Currently, Kinsale and Scioto Reserve have a joint membership program where you can be a full member at both courses for once price. Again, depending on your age, it can be cheaper than playing public courses and there is no minimum. I actually prefer Scioto Reserve's golf course to Kinsale but Kinsales clubhouse is nicer.

Wedgewood and Brookside are also great options if you like this area of town but they want a little more money each month.

Hope this is helpful :)

-Marc

Royal American is a good little track, Id say its better then Blackhawk.

Some that are close to you worth playing:

Clover Valley

Kyber Run (dog trackish)

Others to Check Out:

Rivera

New Albany Links

Winding Hollow AKA Tarten East

Golf Club of Dublin

Glen Ross

Eagle Sticks

Cooks Creek

Northstar

I need to come out with you and Dave some time. I have a brand new set of thumpers in the mail. They should be here thursday.

^This guy is an idiot.^

As you know, your opinion of a golf course is biased and completely open to your own evaluation. It also depends on your skill level as you may play a course like Cooks Creek and appreciate the condition but it is difficult and you may not score well meaning you don't really like it (like Brandon...).

My personal favorite public courses in central Ohio, in no particular order, are:

-Bent Tree - cheap, challenging, nice

-Golf Club of Dublin - cheap, open, links course

-New Albany Links

-North Star - newish to Delaware, very nice

-Eagle Sticks

-Riviera (play it this year as it will probably be bulldozed next spring) - long, fun

-Darby Creek - links style, lots of tall grass so straight off the tee is crucial

-Cooks Creek (John Cook designed and owned...awesome course)

-Longaberger - a bit pricey and far away but very nice course

-Golf Club of Delaware (Formerly Dornach CC)

I always try and book on Golfnow.com for local deals...all of these courses participate and if you have an open schedule you can play a lot of golf for CHEAP.

I have been a member at Riviera (back when it was still private) and Scioto Reserve. I have played 99% of the public and private courses in central Ohio and can give you a good bit of insight.

Worthington Hills is very nice, old course. In my opinion, they have some of the nicest, fastest greens in Ohio. Depending on how old you are, they also have different pricing for memberships that make joining very enticing. They just re-did their pool area this year. They do have a food and beverage minimum which I don't like.

Currently, Kinsale and Scioto Reserve have a joint membership program where you can be a full member at both courses for once price. Again, depending on your age, it can be cheaper than playing public courses and there is no minimum. I actually prefer Scioto Reserve's golf course to Kinsale but Kinsales clubhouse is nicer.

Wedgewood and Brookside are also great options if you like this area of town but they want a little more money each month.

Hope this is helpful :)

-Marc

Dammit Marc, when are we going golfing?

I've golfed a few times at West Chester in Canal Winchester and it's pretty damn nice. I play in a league for work so I don't know how expensive it is, but it's a medium of the road course. The back 9 has many more trees than the front, so it's a good mix of the 2.

I've only golfed formally like 10 times and I usually shoot 10-15+ par on it. I suck. Haha

We are debating whether to join worthington hills. We have a few clients there members there and they say the course is nice and it's a decent club to join.

I was a member at two different courses in Florida but have yet to join here. I hate public courses because they are always so backed up.

Yes getting on public courses can be a pain.

I work for Nike Golf as Tech Rep and in my own capacity of club fitting and equipment sales.

I am not a huge fan of Worthington Hills, mainly due to the staff, the head pro is annoying to me, and in general rubs me and many others the wrong way. I have worked demo events there for 3 years, and its always the same so to speak. This isn't to say he may not treat his members in such manner.

The course itself is very nice, well kept, low rounds, and they have a lot of nice member member and member guest events to keep it fun. The greens known to me on the fast side, but again depends on the day. It is a "older" crowd club, and they are trying to turn that image over currently from what I know.

If I had to make a recommendation on private clubs around this area I would consider these three in this order.

Wedgewood - Their rates for junior members and such are MUCH better then any one expects, they have food min's but the club is awesome. The course is fantastic, always in excellent condition. If you want social and golf, go here. Jimmy the head golf pro is a great guy as well, super nice and accommodating.

The Lakes - Very similar to wedgewood, although I personally like wedgewoods course just a little more. Again junior rates are great, and referrals get you a better deal for the first 1-2 years. Social aspect here is excellent as well, and Eddie the head pro is very nice and helpful to all.

Tarten Fields - falls just behind these two for me, great head pro, great kept course, great location, little more expensive though.

(If you're and OSU alum, or a course to consider, Scarlet, IMO and many others the best challenging course in the outer belt. The Nationwide tour plays here. Its and awesome golf course, and club house.)

In my opinion I would stay away from Kinsale/Scioto Reserve...They are the kings of "hidden" fees and not letting you out of your membership after you get annoyed with the club. I like Marc mentioned like Scioto better then Kinsale, they do have PGA qualifiers at Kinsale every year.

My .02, for what its worth, I have a interesting perspective working with and for many of these clubs, which can be different then being a member.