Horse and boat people...what do I need to tow?

1Quik7

My buddy pulled a single horse with a V8 4runner and had zero issues. They never went far, but he was always happy with how it pulled. I have a v6 4runner that i have towed boats, jetskis, and trailers with and it has been great too. That being said, go get the cleanest Cummins you can afford.

Tom

My `05 Tacoma double cab 4x4 routinely pulled 6,000-7,000lb loads before I sold my trailer. Pulled better than the fullsize GMC truck I had before using the same trailer and stopped better. The truck also had the ability to emergency stop the whole rig well. Keeping safe distance and awareness are equal or more important than what type of truck you drive as long as your within factory towing specs. Also good working trailer brakes do wonders.

Real world experience with my F-150 SCrew, 5.0 V8, 5k load trailer/car, 16.5-16.9 MPG loaded, will do 19-20 unloaded on the highway. I would steer clear from the eco-junk, a quick read of the F-150 forums will tell you the MPG isn't there, nor is the durability.

What ever choice you make, a full size truck will probably be your pick.

Those are impressive numbers. Is your truck tuned or modded in any way? How fast do you drive towing, and do you see any hills?

I get nowhere near those numbers towing or unloaded with my 5.4l.

-Marc

Those are impressive numbers. Is your truck tuned or modded in any way? How fast do you drive towing, and do you see any hills?

-Marc

I don't get near those with my duramax either.

towing 5k? No way I get almost 17. I average 17 unloaded combined. I've seen 23 on the highway but you can throw those numbers out because they're rare and not a true picture of what I get mileage wise. I towed my father in laws enclosed trailer loaded with some lumber and probably barely got 15 with a headwind. I have 33's and a 90HP tune. Now if I wanted to count the 2 or 3 times yes......I get 23 on the highway. Typically my DIC is sitting on 17.x though.

towing 5k? No way I get almost 17. I average 17 unloaded combined. I've seen 23 on the highway but you can throw those numbers out because they're rare and not a true picture of what I get mileage wise. I towed my father in laws enclosed trailer loaded with some lumber and probably barely got 15 with a headwind. I have 33's and a 90HP tune. Now if I wanted to count the 2 or 3 times yes......I get 23 on the highway. Typically my DIC is sitting on 17.x though.

Fair enough. I wouldn't imagine the tires are helping the MPG's though.

I am currently averaging 14.5MPG in my 5.4l unloaded. Towing my boat I typically get around 10MPG. Coming home from Cumberland (uphill) with the AC on it has gone as low as 8.8MPG lol. I need a diesel. :)

-Marc

-Marc

My truck is 100% un-modded, I brought that car back from Chillicothe last week on 35. I had a few hills along the way, took it up to Tipp City, I was pretty much at 70 the whole way, had the cruise set.

That was the first time I every towed with that vehicle, went well, although the F250 I used to have towed better, of course, it was a diesel and 3/4 ton, and still got crappy MPG's.

Real world experience with my F-150 SCrew, 5.0 V8, 5k load trailer/car, 16.5-16.9 MPG loaded, will do 19-20 unloaded on the highway. I would steer clear from the eco-junk, a quick read of the F-150 forums will tell you the MPG isn't there, nor is the durability.

What ever choice you make, a full size truck will probably be your pick.

Dad's pulls more than his V8 did and gets the same MPG at least. Said it before: Hauled Elliot ('78 K10) and the Expedition we bought off of Paul with NO hesitation and saw similar MPG as all of his other trucks.

I wouldn't hesitate to get an Ecoboost and recommend them as a matter of fact.

Durability? (In case for some reason nobody has seen this)

No probs at all thus far. Multiple tows from 6-9K, multiple trips to the mountains, most comfortable truck I've ever worked with.

Fair enough. I wouldn't imagine the tires are helping the MPG's though.

I am currently averaging 14.5MPG in my 5.4l unloaded. Towing my boat I typically get around 10MPG. Coming home from Cumberland (uphill) with the AC on it has gone as low as 8.8MPG lol. I need a diesel. :)

-Marc

That sounds like shitty MPG's for your truck, give it a tune up :lol:

My truck is older 194K on it 5L 95 GMC ext cab to/from work I get 16MPG, towing it gets 12ish and straight highway unloaded I can get typically 18MPG.