1967 Mustang 289 V8 oil recommendation

ec_E92

Anyone have experience with old Windsor Ford 289-2V V8's? Car is driven <1000 miles in the summer only and stored in a detached garage in the winter. No idea what is in the car now.

I think I want to stay conventional and will do an oil change before winter storage.

Researched BITOG and maybe looking for a 10W30 HDEO if I can find conventional. Lots of opinions about zinc additives and flat tappet engines.

Anyone with experience or recommendations?

Not the same engine, but I have a CompCams RV-grind in my bored-and-milled 300 inline-6, and I run a ZDDP additive with my oil changes I bought on eBay. I just run a 10w30 on whatever I can get (name brand) cheaply.

I would def find an oil with zinc in it, fuck additives, we use the Royal Purple racing oil in my Dad's 68 302 with the zinc already in it. Go to Jeg's and ask, it's about the only place that going to have any selection in Columbus anyway. I've heard the Joe Gibbs Driven oil is good as well.

Thanks for the input guys.

This article is a little intense (33 pages of oil analysis) but has some great info for older tappet style engines:

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf

The conclusion was to look for a Group II 10W30 CI-4 oil. More of a tractor type oil.

I don't want to mess with additives because I feel you can select the proper oil and get the benefits of wear protection, lubrication and detergents.

Think I have some aisle browsing and label reading to do....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...