Foundation Wall Repair- Recommendations Please

silverhatch

I'm in contract to buy a home. During the inspection some cracks were found in the outside wall of the foundation. I need an estimate to repair. The seller is paying $500 but I want to make sure it's not going to be much over that. Recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

Did a structural engineer examine the house? If they are just cracks, and the foundation hasn't moved...get some concrete in a tube and a caulk gun and fill them...Really not hard to do...

my parent's home had cracks in the basement, didn't look too bad. they called the basement doctor and determined major repairs was needed. the cost ended up being around $5k. I would stay away from that house unless u hire an expert and determine the cracks isnt a big deal

I have never hired the basement doctor, but I had them estimate a job for me once. Their price was twice what I paid J&J Waterproofing for i-beams. That's probably why so many realtors, myself included, recommend them j&j. Their number...(614) 329-8088.

I would agree that if it is structural, the cost will be way more than $500. If you are at all concern have a structural engineer take a look. Just know that once you have the engineer's report, it will be much harder or impossible to get financing if the seller doesn't fix the problem. Banks don't seem to like to lend on things like this these days.

Easy way to check even for a newb, take a long level (or something with a straigh edge) to the basement, hold vertically (like ceiling to floor) and see if the wall is straight. Is very easy to tell if the wall is bowed, will show clearance at one end of the level when held flat against the wall.

If I had to guess, I'd say the drainage away from the foundation isn't good enough.

my parent's home had cracks in the basement, didn't look too bad. they called the basement doctor and determined major repairs was needed. the cost ended up being around $5k. I would stay away from that house unless u hire an expert and determine the cracks isnt a big deal

^^ this. I'm very picky and would stay away all together. Cats/Cat piss and ANY type of issue in a basement will cause me to walk. Water problems are nothing at all that I'd want to risk or play around with. Too many other homes on the market to settle.

When I was buying my house, the inspector noticed that the basement was leaning in a little bit at the top and there were some cracks. The seller had to pay for a structural engineer to come check it out. He then determined that it was within the accepted range (from when the house was settling) and recommended that the sellers get someone to add a better drainage system as well, which they did. Didn't cost me a dime.

Hopefully it turns out the same in your case.

inspectors have to just say "I'm not a structural engineer, I see cracks and cannot determine the severity of the issue." As for the structural engineer, they will eat that $500 just to show up.

I would recommend having a structural engineer look at it, if they says it's normal settling and not an issue then go through with it. Otherwise, keep on moving.

Check the wall for bowing, or lean. If it's just minor cracking, dig up the outside by hand and apply foundation tar/sealant, pocket remaining $400. If its moving, forget the intrusive i-beams, call someone to apply the carbon fiber strips and epoxy. Its pretty amazing, and cheaper due to the lesser labor for install. Plus, you can finish over it without building around a big beam.