need cancer survivor

wnaplay1647545503

My wife is having a hard time coping with the diagnosis of cancer, she has all but convinced herself this will take her life. I need to find someone who has had ovarian cancer and is a survivor she can talk to. If anyone knows someone who would be willing to do this please let me know. Thanks

Sorry I can't help on the ovarian cancer, but I would tell her everyone is different. A little over ten years ago my best friend while in his 40's contracted (what should have been) very treatable colon cancer - it spread despite treatment and we lost him. Fast forward to a little over a year ago and my 82 year old mother-in-law was also diagnosed with colon cancer and a major tumor on her liver (listed as "class 4" liver cancer). After her treatment she has been in remission for over 6 months and counting.

Science, doctors, whatever - each person is different and I personally believe in a positive attitude and faith. The truth is it might take her life - then again, she may respond to treatment and be in remission for years to come.

^ what he said. I had a great uncle that had an inoperable brain tumor, they gave him 6 months, he lived 6 weeks. A guy my dad worked with was diagnosed with the same thing and given the same estimate, he should have died 15 years ago. Tell her to remember that will is a big part of the battle even though it is a scary thing. I hope she does good.

A friend of my wifes is an Overian Cancer survivor. And she just gave birth to a little girl a couple of weeks ago despite believing she may never. I'll try and talk to her and see if she'd be willing to talk

My mom battled breast cancer on and off for 19-20 years. The last time she basically gave up and was gone shortly after that.

Remind her of your children, possible grand children, they need her to fight even if she wants to give up all hope.

Edited by verse

I was diagnosed with Melanoma as a 9 year old, and a surgery saved me after some radiation treatments. My mother had cancer 8 times, including lung cancer twice. Feeling doomed is natural for a time. Like grieving, there is a process to dealing with the diagnosis, and it is a little different for everyone. My advice to you would be to call someone at the James, or Zangmeister and have this exact conversation with them...they have folks on staff who do exactly this for patients.

In case anyone was wondering, it's been 24 years since my diagnosis, and I'm still alive. My mom lived to be 61, after beating the shit out of a "Mike Tyson's Punch Out"'s worth of different cancers.

Edited by Orion

Sorry I can't help on the ovarian cancer, but I would tell her everyone is different. A little over ten years ago my best friend while in his 40's contracted (what should have been) very treatable colon cancer - it spread despite treatment and we lost him. Fast forward to a little over a year ago and my 82 year old mother-in-law was also diagnosed with colon cancer and a major tumor on her liver (listed as "class 4" liver cancer). After her treatment she has been in remission for over 6 months and counting.

Science, doctors, whatever - each person is different and I personally believe in a positive attitude and faith. The truth is it might take her life - then again, she may respond to treatment and be in remission for years to come.

My father was diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer in 2011 at age 51. It eventually spread to his liver in 2012. After 24 months of treatment there are no detectable cancer cells in his body now.

Edited by jeffro

Jeffro gets it.

Jason needs people that beat it and are still alive, or beat it and lived until 85 and died of natural causes. Stories of people who only survived 6 weeks are going to drive her into a depression, and you're not helping her.

She needs a good support group. Her feelings need some validation of her fears- but support on the positive side as well.

Her doctors should have this info as well. (Support groups that is)

THIS. There are support groups out there and I'm sure whatever hospital system you are in will have the information you need. From what i understand a support group can have people at varying stages of treatment in it so that will help her see all sides of it. Goodluck man i'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

I just completed a regiment of Rituxan for stage 2 non-hodgkins lymphoma. The beginning was very scary because of all of the horror stories associated with cancer. When it comes right down to it, when caught early most cancers are non-life threatening and are very easily treatable. What most people forget is that we live in a modern age of surgery and nuclear medicines. In fact, I actually looked forward to visiting the treatment center. It was a break from life and a chance to socialize, haha.