HVAC guys - "run capacitor"?

zeitgeist57

I've got a brand new Lennox CX34-44/48c-6f unit in my house, and an older Lennox A/C unit outside. Fan is operating outside, but the house is not being cooled at all. The A/C lines coming in from outside aren't much beyond room temperature on either side.

Fixya.com said that it might be a "Run Capacitor"?

http://www.fixya.com/support/t19691625-lennox_cx34_44_48c_6f_1_fan_only_no_air

Any advice on troubleshooting this would be great. :thumbup:

had a similar problem at my mom's old house, and went to Dayco. Dayco sent me around the corner to whatever that industrial supply place is on Silver drive, and I had to buy a new capacitor for $8, yes EIGHT, dollars. Took 5 minutes to install and the AC was working again.

Edit: looking on Street View, I am almost positive that it was Habegger that they sent me to, the place with the "Bryant" logo on the sign.

I've got a brand new Lennox CX34-44/48c-6f unit in my house, and an older Lennox A/C unit outside. Fan is operating outside, but the house is not being cooled at all. The A/C lines coming in from outside aren't much beyond room temperature on either side.

Is the condenser fan (outside unit) fan running at all?

If not, any humming?/Heat from the fan?

If the compressor's run cap is dying you'll usually hear the compressor struggling (loud hum) until it's thermal protect kicks in and shuts down again.

Most of them use a dual run cap (single cap that has connections to both the compressor & condenser fan), but only the compressor can fail to start while the fan motor still comes on.

The external unit is also on it's own breaker (make sure it isn't tripped)

Pretty cheap fix if it is the cap (20-30 from Grainger usually).

So just to confirm it's running outside? Sounds like a refridgerent problem. All a run capacitor does is keep an electric motor running, and if I interpret it right your motors are running?

If the condenser fan is running but the compressor isn't, I'd get a meter and check the amp draw on the compressor. The data tag on the compressor will have a spec for LRA (locked rotor amps). If it is drawing this much current, your compressor is locked up. I'd do this before throwing a bunch of parts at it.

Since you said the fan is running outside, power is there, but the compressor may not be running. Do you know how to use a multimeter? Check for voltage to everything inside. Sometimes a bad cap can be obvious to look at, swollen/bloated.

If the compressor is obviously running, it sounds like a refrigerant problem.

I <3 CR.

GOOD NEWS! The HVAC system is still under warranty. My wife txt'd our contractor and we'll have a look-see at what the issue is when West Jefferson comes out to check the system.

Will keep you guys in the loop. If it's down to my dollar, I'll definitely put some work into this system. Thanks!

Chris, my bad man. West Jeff installed the HVAC. Unfortunately, the outside A/C unit is from 2005. My head hurts when it's 80+ degrees and the wife/kids are complaining.

Won't happen again. Will keep you in mind, now that I know a service call ISN'T part of the warranty. :thumbup:

Haven't heard back from HVAC guys...:o

RUN CAPACITOR DING DING DING

$48 part, $70 labor for less than 10 minutes. I didn't know where the run capacitor was...I know it now! :)

Took this as he had to pay. If not that is great. If he did I would have loved to try and talk him through it on the phone.

Chris, my bad man. West Jeff installed the HVAC. Unfortunately, the outside A/C unit is from 2005. My head hurts when it's 80+ degrees and the wife/kids are complaining.

Won't happen again. Will keep you in mind, now that I know a service call ISN'T part of the warranty. :thumbup:

What is part of warranty then?