Optima Batteries

Thomas Aquinas

So I'm considering getting an Optima battery for my 86 camaro. I've read mixed reviews on these, so I'm still undecided.

Does anyone know where I can get one locally for a good price? The part number I need (according to Optima's website) is 8022-091

Or should I go for just a regular battery? Like from advance auto?

Anyone have any experience they wish to share?

Thanks

I have had a couple, I think they're good batteries you just can't let them get dead. The first few I had warrantied without question as they have a 3 year free replacement warranty, but with a trickle charger I have had zero issue in the last 3-4 years.

I will never buy another one, save your money and headaches.

This. Had one for 18 months and it went bad. Replacement made it another 12 months. Bought through costco and they had soo many issues with them that they quit carrying them. Costco gave me a 100% refund in the end but the battery was a disappointment and not worth it.

I've got cheap autozone batteries that have lasted twice as 2-3x as long for half the money.

I have been told that 5 years ago they started being made outside the US, or changed their way of making them somehow. And that that was a turning point in the quality that they were so well known for.

That being said, I do run them in both the FD and the specB, with zero issues. The FD stayed on a battery tender over the Winter and that battery is about 2 years old. I'm very happy with it. The specB got its new battery this Winter when the stock one finally couldn't keep up with the cold weather we had. I'm also very happy with it. The FD is a yellow top and the specB is a red top.

A trusted friend, and my go to guy for car info, swears by them. I have not been steered wrong yet, so there in is my feeling ok with them.

See customers all the time at work with the crap Advance and Autozone batteries less then a year old that I have to replace, not sure if its some places keep them sitting on the shelf too long or what, but I have seen every battery bad at one time or another. Most of them come from the same two battery manufacturers anyway.

I will never buy another one, save your money and headaches.

+300

Just not worth double the price.

I do have a trickle charger I am going to use when the car is parked.

To the guys that had bad luck with them. Was it used on a daily basis or did it sit a lot?

My car went from daily to sitting with a trickle charger from time to time. It would struggle cranking if it sat for more than 6 hrs. Have a refurb "6 month" battery from Interstate on and off a trickle charge that is 8 years old.

I'm personally never buying an Optima again

I also have had bad experiences with Optima. One was because I let it run down in a car that sat for a few months. The other failed in the cold weather after sitting for a week at the airport. I admit culpability in the first case but i will never buy one again.

I've had mixed luck with them, seems that if they are on a tender when sitting for long periods, they are fine. Typically once they go dead, they are done.

If you decide to get one, buy it through Advance Auto on-line for in store pick-up. Use Code TRT40 or TRT41 to save $50, or google for the latest and best code. I bought my last one through Advance with $50 off and a $50 gift card towards the next purchase.

You missed the April Promotion that Optima was running, a free Optima Tender with the purchase of a battery.

I was apprehensive about buying one because of the quality issues they've experienced after moving their operation. However, this was several years ago and I read they are "starting to come around" again. I bought one this winter and it's been working great so far.

find an interstate dealer or if see if their warehouse on rt 3 in Westerville will sell to the public. I've worked in the repair industry for 12 years and have used/sold interstate batteries for about 6 of those and exide for the other 6.. the interstate by far out performed the exide and warranty issues were more than half. Hell I changed my dads from his ram this winter that I put in 2003!

SilverTwin - Thanks for the heads up about Advance. The price would be $165 , so I might go ahead with that. And it seems one of their normal batteries would be ~$100 (can't use coupon code). So it doesn't seem too bad.

Would the recommendation be to hook it up to a battery tender at all times? Not even a week without use? It seems people are having good results that way.

I have Yellow Top that I use as a back up (to jump another battery, to test devices/gadgets/sensor/solenoid) in my garage. Never installed in a vehicle and regularly hooked up to a float charger. It lives for about 3 years now, however it sees very little use nowadays and more of a dead weight. Let me know if you're interested in it, I'll let it go for cheap.

find an interstate dealer or if see if their warehouse on rt 3 in Westerville will sell to the public. I've worked in the repair industry for 12 years and have used/sold interstate batteries for about 6 of those and exide for the other 6.. the interstate by far out performed the exide and warranty issues were more than half. Hell I changed my dads from his ram this winter that I put in 2003!

The one next to O'Reilly's? It's open to the public

My camaro sits for a week or two at a time without issue, and I only put the charger on it for longer periods typically. Sometimes I throw the float charger on it overnight just for extra insurance.

You known Brent...if only you knew someone who runs an Advance Store who could help take care of you on any and all battery needs... ;)

As many people have noted, just don't let them go dead and they are great batteries. The coupons we offer can also sweeten the pot. What is taking you towards an Optima in the first place? We just brought out an Autocraft AGM which is built through JCI (Johnson Controls) who builds most every battery out there these days that we have had great success with and are a bit cheaper than Optima..

Warranty wise you've got 3 year free replacement on Optimas versus defect, you've got 3 year free + 2 extra years prorated on anything Autocraft gold and up. Not to mention having a friend in the business always helps ;)