Techs, point me to a new box.

Geeesammy

I knew several guys years ago who went to various tech schools, and the first thing they did after graduation was to open a Snap-on credit account and buy $10k-$20k of storage/ tools. Do you have any idea how long it takes to pay something like that off? They regret it to this day.

A close friend of mine bought one of the nicer Professional Harbor Freight boxes >10 years ago, and he's still got it to this day. Yes, buy a quality box, but you don't necessarily need a $5,000 dollar roller cabinet from Snap-On.

Bottom line is this: You're getting into this business to make money. Remember that when you spend money on your profession.

As for the harbor freight 56 or 72, do not overload the drawers. The slides will eventually fail. I have the 56" and after a year of abuse the top drawer slides fell apart.. and then again a year after i swapped them with another drawer.. but i had well over the recommended weight in that drawer. Other than that it's been a great box.

Also check with the dealers that go to that dealership.

A lot of times they will have a box on their truck for months and they want it gone. I bought a classic 78 series and he threw in stainless steel top, set of strike plate pry bars, screw drivers, and snap on pliers.

I got my big ass snap on box this way. List was close to 11k and I got it for 4.7k, it wasnt the color i really wanted but, it was new and priced right.

Ended up getting the HF 56"

Old box is on the left, definitely was busting at the seams after a few pruchases this week.

Was $1199.99 before their "sale" price of $799.99, had a small dent on a handle and a scratch I buffed out, got it for $650.

http://i.imgur.com/ZPn4Qed.jpg

Edited by Geeesammy

Cool, now if you want to protect whatever goes on the top build you a nice hutch and bolt it to the sides where the handle is.. If its anything like the multiple shops I have worked in people will put stuff on top of it.. So I built a hutch for mine that lasted 2 years. Then I upgraded to my big snap on box with snap on hutch.

After a couple days in the only complaints I have:

1. The drawer locks only being on about 2" of the right side. This causes the drawer to shift when opened and then it catches on the box with the corner of the drawer. I may find a way to eliminate them. They also catch on a trim piece if I let go of the lock too quickly.

2.The drawers didn't slide well when empty, took a blow gun to the slides, put some silicone lube on them and got some weight in the drawers and they slide pretty good now.

3. Other than those my last gripe is the drawer mats didn't come pre-cut. It sucks having to cut those to length and trim them up. They were nice enough to get the depth right, but cutting to length got irritating.

I forgot about having to cut those. But think of it this way, that you didnt have to spend the money on snap on ones. They dont inlcude on their boxes!

hmmm that's weird, when I first got into wrenching my Mac box came with drawer liners, when I out grew that box I bought a larger Snap-on box and it came with them, after I out grew the Snap-on box I upgraded again to a larger Matco box and it did, and my final and last upgrade another Matco box & it came with them too. I've never heard of any of the MAJOR tool companies boxes not coming with draw liners.