Work out crew

The Man of Steele

1000 calories a day. (I'm down 60ish lbs) since February.

ZOMG that's not sustainable!!!!

oh yea, you never said anything about trying to sustain that for a long period of time. Great work on your weight loss and I'm sure when you get to your goal weight then you can worry about sustaining it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his weight loss is great, and I wish him the best of luck in the future. I'm sorry if you took my comment that way.

I'm not saying 1,000 calories a day isn't healthy or good for fast weight loss, I just think it will be hard to sustain that for the rest of your life, much like the Atkins diet. Unless you incorporate some heavy exercise, the weight will likely go back up once you introduce more calories. All I'm saying is that unless you stay at 1,000 calories for the rest of your life, you may have issues.

Fuck, I wish I was a doctor. I'd make a lot more money.

Congrats OP. Keep it up, restrict the diet further if you can't do typical cardio, till you hit goal and then adjust.

When I started trying to get back down to what I view as my natural weight range, I was roughly 40lbs over where I wanted to be. I knew my body would no longer stay where it use to be via weight lifting alone. It took 5+ years of putting on fat before I accepted a lifelong change in eating habits was required.

What I did may not work for anyone else, but it worked for me. I knew I was playing the long-game, so daily or even weekly scale-checks were unnecessary. I only weighed myself every few weeks. What I had to change was the type of food I was regularly ingesting, and the portion sizes of those foods. I started dedicating myself to regular cardio and weight lifting routines. I typically do one or the other daily, the cardio being a 3-5 mile jog depending on how I feel that day. If I go for a long walk with the family, snowboard, play a game of b-ball with friends, or do a lot of swimming etc, I allow a skip for myself.

Eating was mostly limiting fried bar-type foods, being easy on the breakfast fry-up style bfasts, eating a sensible lunch, and I typically let myself enjoy a decent dinner, mostly adjusting the portion sizes, and speed at which I ate. If you're calorie counting I was around 1700-2000 per day.

After a year I am roughly 172lbs, down from 205. I want to be a bit slimmer, but I feel much more energetic, and healthier. My diet allows me to occasionally indulge, and when I hit that 165 goal, I will be able to further adjust to maintain instead of steadily lose.

I think his weight loss is great, and I wish him the best of luck in the future. I'm sorry if you took my comment that way.

I'm not saying 1,000 calories a day isn't healthy or good for fast weight loss, I just think it will be hard to sustain that for the rest of your life, much like the Atkins diet. Unless you incorporate some heavy exercise, the weight will likely go back up once you introduce more calories. All I'm saying is that unless you stay at 1,000 calories for the rest of your life, you may have issues.

Fuck, I wish I was a doctor. I'd make a lot more money.

Yeah it would suck if I had to do that the rest of my life.. I'll agree with that.

So far I've cut out beer (a LOTTT), fast foods, burgers, etc. Started eating MUCH healthier.. counting calories (amazing how many calories are in certain things that seem harmless).

Once I get down to a certain weight I'll drop off the shakes and move up in calories a day. I think by doing what I'm doing now is going to help me in the future on not eating the garbage/fast food so I'll be ready to make any changes I want.

i dont think his 1000 cal diet was meant to be sustainable. Just a diet to get to his goal weight and once he reaches it he can up his calories to maintenance, unless his goal weight is like 100lbs.

I dont see much wrong with a temporary 1000cal diet, only thing would be your energy levels would be low.

there are times I cut down to 1500 cals to drop fat, and I do a good job on maintaining my muscle mass.

funny thing, my doctor asks me for advice about his diet on how he can lean down.

i dont think his 1000 cal diet was meant to be sustainable. Just a diet to get to his goal weight and once he reaches it he can up his calories to maintenance, unless his goal weight is like 100lbs.

I dont see much wrong with a temporary 1000cal diet, only thing would be your energy levels would be low.

Agreed. I (and the others) only wanted to point out that for the long haul, it won't work. And he posted up that he knows it, so that's a good sign. :nod:

People ask me advice all the time about how to get fit and stay fit. While I'm no doctor, I'm pretty much the CR Poster Child for it... :lol:

Anyone have experience with versagrips? Any other straps recommended?

I don't use em much, but shrugging 405x8 leaves my wrists bruised and bloody with my old animal straps.

No straps is best. Quit using them a long time ago.

I rarely use them, only on heaviest sets of shrugs/deads. I'm all about grip but not at the expense of my 500 lb deadlift.

For what it's worth, I didn't use them for my last pull of 445, just alt grip

I rarely use them, only on heaviest sets of shrugs/deads. I'm all about grip but not at the expense of my 500 lb deadlift.

For what it's worth, I didn't use them for my last pull of 445, just alt grip

Can't grip it you shouldn't lift it.

525 lbs no straps. I'm also working my way away from using a belt.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o721/Bogey1989/bah/Screenshot_2014-05-26-01-07-21-1_zpsrrp2obm6.png

Nice lift, I'm gettn' there. I agree, not looking to argue, I only use a belt for my heaviest lifts as well.

On a work day though I'd rather get that one last back rep than lose it due to grip. Grip gets worked another day as well, just preference.

Nice lift, I'm gettn' there. I agree, not looking to argue, I only use a belt for my heaviest lifts as well.

On a work day though I'd rather get that one last back rep than lose it due to grip. Grip gets worked another day as well, just preference.

Yeah i used to the same then my buddy pushed me not to use straps and it's helped grow forearms and grip strength like crazy. Like you said it's kinda personal preference some IFBB pros use them some don't.

I definitely want forearm strength/growth, that's why I only use them when I have to.

Chalk helps, I also go overhand as long as I can before switching to alt.

You ever do deficit work? I want 500 this year.

I definitely want forearm strength/growth, that's why I only use them when I have to.

Chalk helps, I also go overhand as long as I can before switching to alt.

You ever do deficit work? I want 500 this year.

I disliked the one time I used chalk. Hands felt slippery. Nope never done deficits. I know they can help get over hitches in the pull. I did try for 545lbs after this and got it to my knees and set it down it didn't wanna go up any further lol. But when I do my reps I do not touch the ground with the deadlifts. I go to an inch before the ground and pull back up. 4 sets of 405 like that then drop down till burn out.

Rack pulls? I've not done them, but thinking about trying them to help the upper part of the lift. Kinda like benching off boards.

Honestly no idea what they are called I took the idea from Joey Swoll lol. But they crazy effective. I used to do them for warm up now it's the only way I do deadlifts. Constant tension puts a new difficulty to workouts.

I disliked the one time I used chalk. Hands felt slippery. Nope never done deficits. I know they can help get over hitches in the pull. I did try for 545lbs after this and got it to my knees and set it down it didn't wanna go up any further lol. But when I do my reps I do not touch the ground with the deadlifts. I go to an inch before the ground and pull back up. 4 sets of 405 like that then drop down till burn out.

if your hands felt slippery you weren't using lifting chalk.

i usually chalk up at over 550lbs. I never use straps but have thought about it to see if I can stop my bicept pain I have that im not sure were its coming from, but dont want to lose grip strength as that is tied to your back strength.

It was lifting chalk. It wasn't "slippery" it just didn't help my grip. The same kinda ordeal during baseball and rosin bags it made my pitching gand feel "slippery" but it was just the dry chalk on my hands. I am unfortunately at a main stream gym I hate not having the schedule to be able to go to a lifters gym. :/