White Water Rafting

HotCarl

In case anyone was considering going and has yet to try it... do it. Me and a few friends went last weekend to West by god Virginia to New River Gorge and had a blast. We went through a company called Adventures on the Gorge (highly recommended). They call themselves a "resort" with all out door activities but their prices don't reflect the "resort" name. Beer was about $3-3.50 a bottle (on par with most Cbus bars), food wasnt too expensive either. We camped to save some money and had a great time.

This was my first time white water rafting and it was awesome. We did the half day trip down New River, 23 rapids, three of which were level 5. I think the water level may have been low bc they didn't seem too difficult. We also had an awesome guide who did everything from talk about the history of the land and neighboring towns to make fun of the slack-jawed locals. There were more Deliverance jokes than we could count.

All in all i highly recommend both the area and the company we used. If anyone decides to go ask for your guide to be McFly (doubt that's his real name but whatever). I want to go back next year but go on the Gauley river after they let the dam open up, its suppose to be a crazy ride.

September-October the let the dam out on the weekends to give you class V+ rapids on the upper and lower gauley. We did it a few yrs ago and it was definitely fun. VERY intense though.

The actual act of paddling isn't that intense, its the thought of what if you go over and all the crazy currents going on. Be ready to be under water for a while if you go over. Still worth it.

I did a double Upper Gualey trip in October several years ago. We went in one of the bigger rafts and it was okay. Wasn't nearly as crazy as I thought it would be. I would recommend going in the smaller 4-5 person rafts; they looked quite a bit more fun. I didn't fall out of the raft though...

I did a double Upper Gualey trip in October several years ago. We went in one of the bigger rafts and it was okay. Wasn't nearly as crazy as I thought it would be. I would recommend going in the smaller 4-5 person rafts; they looked quite a bit more fun. I didn't fall out of the raft though...

Our guide said the same thing. If we come back for the Gauley try and do it in the fall and ask for a 4 person raft (5 with the guide). Apparently they're a lot more fun.

Oh and we didnt lose anyone all day. There were a few times where we though some people might get popped out but it wasnt too bad.

September-October the let the dam out on the weekends to give you class V+ rapids on the upper and lower gauley. We did it a few yrs ago and it was definitely fun. VERY intense though.

The actual act of paddling isn't that intense, its the thought of what if you go over and all the crazy currents going on. Be ready to be under water for a while if you go over. Still worth it.

They kept reiterating the need to continuously paddle. I guess when rookies get out there they tend to freeze and stop paddling but that's the worse thing you can do. I would think with a more challenging river you'd paddle more but i guess not.

And yeah my biggest fear was going over in a huge rapid, fighting current and getting a foot stuck under a rock.