Any helicopter pilots on here?

red1993sol

Hey just as the title says do we have any pilots on here? I've been thinking of getting my private pilot licenses for the last year or so and thinking I'm going to pull the trigger. I've contacted Due North Aviation and got some information from them. I've been researching about it for some time just looking for some who has personal insight and recommendations. If someone can help just pm me or get a hold of me. Thanks in advance!

yeah, you're right Gerg, we've got several fixed wing pilots or prospective pilots that may provide insight into flight school. I think Diesel Pilot flies for a commercial airline. Hopefully they'll pop in here soon.

Due North is really good for civilian helicopter instruction. Military hands down would be vastly superior but if you are just doing it for fun, Due North will be just fine.

I was a fixed wing instructor 14 years ago, so I probably wouldn't be much help in the helicopter department but I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

I will say this, I was in a helicopter from JFK to the Lower Manhattan Heliport a few years ago and it was easily one of my top 5 aviation related experiences and I've been flying since 1994. I'd love to add the rotorcraft rating some day when I have the time.

I am on year 3 of a totally recreational quest to get my private pilot license...can't imagine being able to fly heli's one day.

One of my only regrets in life is that I was the first male member of my family not to pursue the military; I loved flying since I was a kid. I would highly recommend going the military route and do it soon before you hit the age restriction.

Good luck! It takes a lot of resources (time, money, effort) to achieve it as a hobby but it's worth it. People pay hundreds of dollars to drive at Mid-Ohio and I can go faster and pull more G's in a Cessna 152 for $80/hr. :lol:

For now my goal is just to get my private pilot rating to be able to rent and fly on my own when I feel the need to. I know the military is a great option but it's not for me. Due North is located in Carroll , not far from Lancaster. Looks to be a nice facility from what I've heard. I'm planning on stopping there on Friday to talk and check it out some more and do an introductory flight. For me it's only an hour away and they can do everything on the weekend and you can pay as you go so it works well for me.

I fly black hawks for the army, I have gotten to do some really cool stuff!

Personally, what do you want to be able to do with a helicopter PPL? Toy around? take girls for flights to get laid? fly to new places? To rent a R22 is something around 200-300 for each hour I have not looked in a while? You can rent a fully loaded 182 for 130 ish wet... Fly twice as long, plus your air speed is going to be about 40 kts faster so you will be able to get where you are going quicker! Besides hovering, you can basically do all the same things in a little Cessna that you can in a helicopter...

Also, flying helicopters is going to take a LOT more skill and a LOT more training to accomplish. I would personally look at getting your fixed wing ppl first, for a 1/3 of the cost then look at pursing helicopters.

Though I am interested to see what questions you have!

Huh, Fairfield county airport that's where I got my private pilot license from only back then it was called something else. The main helicopter guy back then was Steve Slater I believe or something close to that. He always seemed like a heck of a nice guy. Having a helicopter rating would be cool but damn those things are expensive to rent, way out of this poor boys price range.