Thoughts on college at age 33

Cordell

Well, I've been rolling the idea around since high school, obviously after vocational school for electrical tech I stopped going to school. I have had various 1 or 2 day classes related to specific automotive functions, but my current job as an automotive technician has been learned entirely on the job, and through lots of headache. I would consider myself very proficient as a technician and I like most of the job. As my back issues get worse, and I've pretty much reached the top of working as a factory trained tech, I am really thinking of doing something that will take me farther in life. If I was to start pursuing a different career, something with much more potential, how would some of you that have already done it go about it?

I am interested in the judicial system. It seems the obvious choice is to be an attorney, but what else is there? My wife is working on that very same thing as I type this, but I doubt that going to Columbus State's transfer program, getting an associate's degree, and now starting at Franklin is the only way to do that.

Obviously I'm at square one, trying to figure out if this is even a path I want to travel. My high school transcript says 2.0, and thats a 0 GPA as a freshman, and a 4.0 my senior year. I had a hard time in high school, never liked it, and is why I never pursued anything after it. Maybe at 33 I'm adult enough to get through it.

Thoughts and ideas feel free to share them, lets just keep this mostly on topic.

1) Leverage mechanical skills to get job at OSU on the facility team

2) Get free education and you'll be on campus anyways

3) Profit

I'd go get a semi-technical degree like computer science, maybe law, or something else with a concrete skill outcome ... not philosophy

Hardest part will be getting though the hazing and weed-out classes

Where there is a will ... there is an A

Is your wife working while she's in school? One thought is to wait until she's through before you go back...keeps money coming into the household...

I think it's a great idea, but you'll really need to figure out not just what you want to do, but what school will get you there. Lots to think about...

If you have not already look at the schools you are thinking about online and see what is the most appealing in terms of degrees and field of study. Then make an appointment at each and go talk to a counselor. Find out and plan your path, otherwise you will waste time and money on BS classes, especially your first year or two. Ask about testing out of courses you are good at and financial aid (if needed).

I would also check on what scholarships you are eligible for. I think there are 2nd chance ones for people over 30 and Pell Grants. The gov't pays for everybody else...save some money for car parts.

As long as you go into it with realistic expectations, you will do fine. Maybe even network a little before hand. Ask some head hunters what degrees are the most desire able and bring the best salary. Keep us updated.

I go to school with a lot of people that are in their early 40's and older. As someone else said it's never too late to go back. Hell one guy in my nursing class is mid 40's and has been a masonary worker his entire life, just one day decided he wanted a different career/life path.

Being in the IT field, I can say certifications have helped me way more than any degree I could have received. I'm not sure how those play out in your field, but in my case I interviewed well and had the skills and certifications to backup my work.

As a professional in the legal field I can tell you I wouldn't wish becoming an attorney on my worst enemy. The market is too saturated due to the financial crisis wiping out a lot of the large employers while law schools churned out JD's in record numbers. I went to a tier 1 law school and before I left NYC I was waited on by a classmate of mine at a restaurant (to be fair it was a high end restaurant). When I was between law jobs after the financial crisis in 2008, I actually worked as a motorcycle tech to keep afloat. The only reason I have a job now is because I have business expirence as well and I am even considering getting an MBA to help further my prospects.

It's easily 7 years plus $100k+ debt to become a lawyer now for an average $50k starting salary (if you are not working for the govt). Not a good return on investment.

That being said a good friend of mine was a tech for years and then went back for an engineering degree at 30. He just graduated and has told me that the caliber of his job prospects has increased exponentially. Instead of a jiffy lube grease pit he is interviewing for jobs where he gets to break stuff as part of testing.

If I was to start pursuing a different career, something with much more potential, how would some of you that have already done it go about it?

Best way to tackle it is to set goals, write them down and commit.

I am interested in the judicial system. It seems the obvious choice is to be an attorney, but what else is there? My wife is working on that very same thing as I type this, but I doubt that going to Columbus State's transfer program, getting an associate's degree, and now starting at Franklin is the only way to do that.
Great gig. Ask me how I know :p The three real paths there are public sector, private and corporate. Wife chose private and hung her own shingle out for years. Lots of work but pays off better in the long run. Her friends that went the public/state and corporate made more for the first 2-3yrs but worked their asses off for others. In the long run she out paced their income by far and it enabled us to have her semi-retire at 45. she'll likely go teach at Capital or OSU in the coming years. Her friends that are on their own still love it and while it's hard work, being your own boss is the way to go. Others however are content with good money working for someone else as there's less responsibility / stress. Hell that describes me in a way.

Get ready to read and write a lot!

Maybe at 33 I'm adult enough to get through it.
You are. You have to just ask yourself where you'll be at 43 if you do or don't do something different and if you're good with the answer.

Good luck.

Columbus State has plenty of "older" folks. In almost every class i have taken there are 30-50 year old students so don't feel stupid for returning. However, i did NOT see this at Ohio State. Like Jewtoys basically said, it depends on the school. Big schools have alot of students from rich parents that send them off right out of high school. Smaller school are for the less fortunate but for folks who still want to make something of themselves.

One thing i would keep in mind is that curriculum is constantly changing, so any classes you have taken in the past will probably be of no real value towards a degree. Hell, i have been going part time for the last 4 years (2 year school might i add) and the classes have changed just during that short period.

Another thing to consider... If you're going to get some sort of aid, I recommend going full time and here's why: If you don't go full time, it takes forever. During that extended time the interest on the loans adds up big time. Ill be at nearly 25k for a fucking associates because i go part time. If you're only going to go part time really try to pay out of pocket. It will save you endless amounts of interest in the long run.

None of this is relevant if you want to be an attorney. Going to need to go bigger. Much bigger.

Columbus State has plenty of "older" folks. In almost every class i have taken there are 30-50 year old students so don't feel stupid for returning. However, i did NOT see this at Ohio State. Like Jewtoys basically said, it depends on the school. Big schools have alot of students from rich parents that send them off right out of high school. Smaller school are for the less fortunate but for folks who still want to make something of themselves.

One thing i would keep in mind is that curriculum is constantly changing, so any classes you have taken in the past will probably be of no real value towards a degree. Hell, i have been going part time for the last 4 years (2 year school might i add) and the classes have changed just during that short period.

Another thing to consider... If you're going to get some sort of aid, I recommend going full time and here's why: If you don't go full time, it takes forever. During that extended time the interest on the loans adds up big time. Ill be at nearly 25k for a fucking associates because i go part time. If you're only going to go part time really try to pay out of pocket. It will save you endless amounts of interest in the long run.

None of this is relevant if you want to be an attorney. Going to need to go bigger. Much bigger.

Indeed.

Before you take the plunge make sure it's what you truly want. Also note you will not be guaranteed a job just because you have a piece of paper. College will end up setting you back a good bit, and you could possibly be worse off after the fact.

In my opinion, you should go for it. Try to find an employer to pay for it. Cardinal Health, various universities and other companies offer good tuition reimbursement programs. Anyways, good luck.

I think some one wants to be an attorney so they can get out of tickets if the end up doing a 4 gear pull with the bottle on... :D

Personally im dumb when it comes to classroom teaching. I would find a good tech type school to get you into a field of choice. .

Look into the medial field, there is a lot of opportunity, engineering/it and healthcare jobs. My wife is an attorney and that is a long and expensive path ahead of you. If you really want to do that, go for it.