Bringing vehicle from Virginia to Ohio.

Nickey4271647545519

Going to look at a truck for myself this Friday. It is in Virginia. In VA they dont require the title to be notarized for transfer, Ohio does on the other hand. Does anyone know if I still need to get the title notarized for when it comes back to ohio? Edited by Nickey427

The title office (since they transfer titles - not the BMV) that I go to in Pataskala has a list sitting around of states that don't require their titles to be notarized. So if you don't want to deal with idiots then go to that title office. All they will do is want to walk out to the car and confirm that the VIN on the title matches the VIN on the dash. If you plan on driving the truck back up to Ohio you should look into getting a temp tag from a Virginia BMV, so you can legally drive it to the Ohio title office. Either that or plan on trailering it.

• 2 weeks later...

If the state it is coming from is not a notary state, it does not need to be notarized when flipped at an ohio bmv.

What copperhead mentionned is called an "out of state inspection" the bmv can do it for you for like $3.50 or a car dealer can do it. Like he said they just verify the vin on the car matches the vin on the title. If the title you are handing the BMV isn't an ohio title, this is required, notary state or not.

So, bring the vehicle with you to the bmv if you don't have someone who can do an inspection for you.