Long gun open carry

HotCarl

Curious what CR thought on this. I have yet to hear a valid argument on why someone would need to open-carry a long gun (rifle, AR, shotgun, etc...). I get the argument that it is technically your constitutional right to do so, so therefore you should excercise said right. But whats the point in doing so when your out at lunch, or going to the grocery store, or.... the airport http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/07/29/1317499/-Arizona-man-arrested-in-Phoenix-Sky-Harbor-Airport-after-open-carry-protest-terrifies-travelers ?

So maybe people could do so in some sort of protest, or rally for second ammendment rights? Ok i can support that, but doing it daily, I don't get it?

"Doctor" you say? He looks really derpy. There is no reason to open carry other than bears eating your face and to cause mass panic. If you cause mass panic the police are going to give you a bad day.

"Doctor" you say? He looks really derpy. There is no reason to open carry other than bears eating your face and to cause mass panic. If you cause mass panic the police are going to give you a bad day.

Agreed, however, why do people panic in the first place? Probably because the media told them to panic.

To say it's pointless to open carry a long gun is opinion. I'd guess no one would have tried to mug him, and if that was what he wanted, than he achieved it. Any open carry in a metro area is likely to cause panic. There are a couple big reasons. What it should be is, will that person handle the weapon safely? I don't feel many people do, and I myself would be concerned. More likely though, is the news terrifying the viewers with anything gun related. And so, lawfull or not, having a gun in a populated area makes people think you are there to shoot them. People just don't open carry much. And because the majority of people don't see someone with a gun everyday, they only think the bad. The flipsde is, those who want to exercise their right, are flexing a right so close to extinction, they cause panic and get labled extremists. Carrying a weapon is a lot of responsibility, and a long gun makes it ten times more the detail to be safe. People get lazy and tired. Carrying a long gun for any extended period of time, starts to suck quite a bit. Now it's a burdon, you want to put it down. It's in the way, and anytime you move it, someone will say you flagged them. Positive control of the weapon and safety all become factor that may not have been taken into consideration by someone trying to exercise their rights. Especially if they are just doing it to demonstrate and make a point. Having spent years with a gun attached to me, I have seen trained people make mistakes by leaving their weapon some place or being careless with it. To the point where, I think I would have to ask someone what they are doing if I saw anyone open carry. Reintegrateing many people having a gun on their hip in public, as they did long ago, is unlikely to happen. Understand that there is always a threat and not always the best way to deal with it. Some people choose to openly display they have the means to protect themselves. In today's environment in the US, most of society is scared of any gun in public.

I'm fine with someone open carrying a hand gun. It'll get their point across, and it's much less likely to panic the sheeple(not to mention it's more practical). But, there is absolutely no need to open carry a long gun in the US.* That guy went out of his way to be a douche about it. And if the article is accurate, he was muzzle sweeping other Starbucks customers. Yay gun safety 101.

Take those Chipotle AR Douchebags. A bunch of fat Call of Duty looking gamers slung their ARs over their shoulders and caused such a commotion that Chipotle banned all guns from all their wonderful burrito shoppes. Those "activists" are assholes, and knew exactly what they were doing.

Most of you reading this have been to a shooting range before. Are you allowed to just open carry your AR into the range/gun shop? Nope! Case it up and walk in politely! Why on earth would a friggin Starbucks (hipster left wing hangout central) be different???

*The one exception I can think of off the top of my head applies to hunters carrying their shotguns to/from their cars. Maybe hitting some local diner on the way.

With all the shootings in the past few years maybe he is paranoid. But he should be very careful as the media/government tells us that guns are bad, that gun could just start shooting all on its own.

I question the sanity of the man that goes to the trouble of taking his AR all the way to the airport, just so he can enjoy a cup of the most expensive Starbucks coffee in the city. Either he is a little nuts, or he's just another asshole "activist" that knowingly went way out of his way just to cause a commotion and stir up shit.

or he's just another asshole "activist" that knowingly went way out of his way just to cause a commotion and stir up shit.

Ding Ding we have a winner

I'm all for gun rights but I believe we are past the tipping point where the majority of Americans have absolutely no experience with guns and the only thing that they know about them is what they see in movies and on tv. And the only thing guns are used for on tv and in movies is killing people. People who are not around or exposed to guns in a positive manner have no idea that shooting sports even exist and millions of guns are fired every year without harming a single person.

I was at the nature center of Blacklick the other day and a little boy walked up to the window and after seeing a raccoon called over to his mom and said "look mom a chipmunk", his mother did not correct him. Do you think that they have any idea that guns can be used in any way other than to harm a person?

On a side note why do we say something is "IN" a movie and "ON" tv. lol

i am glad the law is there to allow it. doesn't mean you need to walk into your local pizza shop with a shotgun slung over your shoulder. i carry a lightweight handgun every day. heck, on long days that can get a bit tiresome. i can't imagine the weight with a long gun all day. also i wouldn't be surprised that some of these open carry activists you see in the news are not really anti-gunners causing panic to help their cause. yea yea call me crazy.

One of the few downsides to living in SC is we have no open carry. Sucks, I liked open carrying a lot in Ohio, especially when grocery shopping with my little girls in walmart, meijers, etc. I saw that as an opportunity to educate as I don't look like much of a threat while getting chips and pop with my kids and discussing Disney princesses;-)

I agree they guy was a douche though. Not a lot of reasons to carry a long gun around, but I can come up with a few situations where being able to carry it openly is a convenience. Kinda like how much easier the CCW permit makes carrying a pistol.

Curious what CR thought on this. I get the argument that it is technically your constitutional right to do so, so therefore you should excercise said right. But whats the point in doing so when your out at lunch, or going to the grocery store, or.... the airport

there is very little point other than guys like this are trying to a play a man-card they don't have. put the call of duty game away, grow a pair of real balls and join the military and get your rocks off lugging it around where you might actually need to use it.

most of the losers like this guy never served a day in their life and likely wouldn't even survive basic training let alone real combat. chances are this guy couldn't prevent himself from being disarmed and once so likely couldn't fight hand to hand. IMO he's suffering from little man pussy syndrome.

love this country but fuckers like this are allowed to have kids and vote and drive next to me in traffic. that's the real thing for society to be afraid of IMO. we need to cure stupid.