Viper decapitation on 33/Avery yesterday....

TTQ B4U

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a pic on reddit right now with his head on the ground. Wish I would have left that link blue.

Couldn't believe that when I saw it. One of the top posts on all of reddit is about this wreck...

Here's the link for anyone interested... http://i.imgur.com/tdtxJ0w.jpg

I'm pretty desensitized by internet stuff but I know a lot of others may not be but the picture isn't the greatest quality... look in the grass maybe 7-8 feet off the road and you'll see the light-colored object.

Yes I do, and that was the first thing g that came to my mind. I absolutely hate those cable barriers. They're like a giant cheese grader at speed.

They do seem quite nasty. They need to have a larger diameter sleeve or something around them.

My understanding is that these wire fences, because of the tensile requirements of the cables, are more expensive than Jersey Barriers to install. They're maybe less to upkeep when damaged though, so I dunno

Motorcycle riders hate them because of things like this happening.

Also, a coworker of mine, who lunches with me, told me he saw the head himself as he was driving by there on Saturday afternoon/evening, before 1st responders had even gone by. That was way before I had even heard of the story on the news or seen that photo or anything (I was at a wedding in Cincy)

He probably went quickly, and barely felt a thing. I don't know if he decided to off himself or if he simply ran out of talent and just lost control since that 1st gen Viper is known to be tough to handle and very spartan. It doesn't help that it didn't have Traction Control or ABS.

RIP, random family man I didn't know

:(

Not a rider and not trying to be a jerk, but would someone fair better smashing into concrete at high speeds?

Maybe. These things are similar to those junk ass ARMCO metal guardrails, and you are not better slamming into those at high speeds. There is a reason the NHRA has outlawed the use of those metal guardrails, they are not safe.

Maybe. These things are similar to those junk ass ARMCO metal guardrails, and you are not better slamming into those at high speeds. There is a reason the NHRA has outlawed the use of those metal guardrails, they are not safe.

That makes sense. Also, I was referring to those stating bikers hate them. I mean, I can see why, but if you're on a bike hitting cable or concrete would yield similar results at high speeds (say 100+ MPH) I would think.

That makes sense. Also, I was referring to those stating bikers hate them. I mean, I can see why, but if you're on a bike hitting cable or concrete would yield similar results at high speeds (say 100+ MPH) I would think.

I would rather take my chances hitting a jersey barrier that might move and spread the energy out vs a cable that will act like a cheese cutter or an ARMCO guard rail that acks like a jousting device.

I have seen those ARMCO guard rails cut though cars and people at the drag strip :(

The cables act like a knife, or a cheese slicer at speed. You could be doing the speed limit, or less, and still get cut to pieces by them. A solid barrier would be much better to hit, of you had a choice.

The cables act like a knife, or a cheese slicer at speed. You could be doing the speed limit, or less, and still get cut to pieces by them. A solid barrier would be much better to hit, of you had a choice.

I had a foot on my gas-powered leaf blower and let the pullcord rip. With the angle, the nylon cord rubbed the side of my knee and burned/sliced into the skin.

One pull. One point of contact. Took 3 weeks for it to heal.

I think of that personal experience - on a much, much, MUCH tamer device and speed - and realize the damage those highway cable barriers will do to flesh.

I see that. Makes sense. I've never thought cables were a good barrier. I just thought that a biker slamming into a concrete wall at 100 MPH would produce different yet similar results (if that makes sense).

Maybe after this they'll rethink the use of cables.

Shortly after they installed those cable barriers on 270 south of Tuttle, I saw a yellow Ford Focus go right through them and still ended up on the other side of 270. I figure if they can't stop a Focus, how are they going to stop anything bigger?

I see that. Makes sense. I've never thought cables were a good barrier. I just thought that a biker slamming into a concrete wall at 100 MPH would produce different yet similar results (if that makes sense).

Maybe after this they'll rethink the use of cables.

They wont. This isn't the first time it has happened and it won't be the last. They're cheap to install and replace, that's all they care about.

The force of hitting a wall would be very different and the impact would be distributed across your body, but it also gives you the ability to slide along the barrier without having it slice through you.

Michigan State Police posts pics on their Facebook every time one actually works as intended. They showed one that they claim stopped a semi truck, but it was debatable.

Shortly after they installed those cable barriers on 270 south of Tuttle, I saw a yellow Ford Focus go right through them and still ended up on the other side of 270. I figure if they can't stop a Focus, how are they going to stop anything bigger?

Stopped the Viper. Not lobbying for them. I def see the downsides.

They wont. This isn't the first time it has happened and it won't be the last. They're cheap to install and replace, that's all they care about.

The force of hitting a wall would be very different and the impact would be distributed across your body, but it also gives you the ability to slide along the barrier without having it slice through you.

Michigan State Police posts pics on their Facebook every time one actually works as intended. They showed one that they claim stopped a semi truck, but it was debatable.

Looks like they're trying to "prove" that they work. Usually means they don't.