Need alternative ideas for cable provider.

Rustlestiltskin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have Direct tv for tv, it's alright, can't really complain about $35/mo and then WOW for internet which we are happy with.

Mine started at $35 a month too with DirectTv. Last month was $96, I called and they said I upgraded to the Extra package. Pretty sure I'd know if I made a damn phone call and upgraded, and I didn't.

My bill has literally been different every month for the last 10 months. Always fixed when I make a phone call, but they are shady as fuck. It is seriously ridiculous.

Mine started at $35 a month too with DirectTv. Last month was $96, I called and they said I upgraded to the Extra package. Pretty sure I'd know if I made a damn phone call and upgraded, and I didn't.

My bill has literally been different every month for the last 10 months. Always fixed when I make a phone call, but they are shady as fuck. It is seriously ridiculous.

+100000 my last 6 bills have all been different amounts and i have had to call in every month, hell last month it was $110!! and i am still in a contract for 1 more year, i will be canceling ASAP! and probably going with the Internet TV options.

+100000 my last 6 bills have all been different amounts and i have had to call in every month, hell last month it was $110!! and i am still in a contract for 1 more year, i will be canceling ASAP! and probably going with the Internet TV options.

I'm calling today (already called yesterday to have my bill adjusted) to tell them to fuck themselves unless they give me Sunday Ticket, ha.

My contract expires in February. Bye.

I can post a screenshot of my bills. They are different EVERY month. Only thing I ever did was add HBO for 3 cycles for GoT, and even then it was different every month.

You would put an individual antenna at each home. No need to run coaxials to all the different houses unless you happen to be right next-door. You can buy antennas on eBay for less than 100 bucks and they're super easy to aim

I like the words you speak sir, may have to give this a go...

You would put an individual antenna at each home. No need to run coaxials to all the different houses unless you happen to be right next-door. You can buy antennas on eBay for less than 100 bucks and they're super easy to aim

Antenna for what? Broadcast? Or are you talking some sort of hi gain wifi antennas?

Did this last year out in California. Didn't even have that fast of internet (15Mbps) and it worked fine. However, the company I got internet through was surprisingly good for a cable company. They never charged me overages for using more internet than I was "allotted", and as far as I can tell they didn't throttle Netflix or anything.

We used Netflix and Hulu, plus I snagged my mom's TWC info to get their app/website service (With B1G Network streaming), and Watch ESPN. I know it's kind of moocher-ish, but if you have the opportunity, I say go for it. They all seemed to stream pretty well, especially Watch ESPN. Combine that with the online streaming sites for sports and it wasn't too bad at all.

Not that I would suggest this.........but once you have direct tv boxes, they don't know where there live.......meaning 2-3 people could share an account. One sets it up, gets several boxes and gives them to the other guys......but again, I would never recommend this......

Is this how you afford the Lamborghinis?

I have internet only from WOW, 30/3 service and it's $40/mo with free equipment rental (we have our own, but just throwing that into the thread for anyone's information). My roommate has a Netflix subscription which we share, and there's a bunch of free legitimate content online, like South Park, which is the only TV show I regularly watch. Obviously, in today's day and age, it's stupid easy to pirate illegal content also. For live sports, I quickly came to the conclusion a few years back that I was almost always out at a bar anyway, so ditching cable just made sense. I also borrow a co-worker's WatchESPN subscription (she has kids who like to watch TV), and buy her lunch a couple times a month as "payment".

If I could pick channels ala-carte, I would get a subscription again, but you can't. I fucking hate the current cable model and encourage everyone to cut the cord and pirate everything you can until the scumbag companies adopt to the current market. It's downright disrespectful to keep shitty channels afloat by bundling them with channels worth watching. I would pay for ESPN's network, BBC America, Comedy Central, and a small handful of other channels if I could, but this is a solid $80+/month with anyone locally, and that's without internet.

LOL, no you have to do a lot more than reduce your cable bill to get one of those. But combine that with every other aspect of your life, in reducing overall costs and it certainly can help. When I started my business I lived for five years like I was fresh out of college. Made sure I was tucking plenty away rather than going and buying the first thing I possibly could.

LOL, no you have to do a lot more than reduce your cable bill to get one of those. But combine that with every other aspect of your life, in reducing overall costs and it certainly can help. When I started my business I lived for five years like I was fresh out of college. Made sure I was tucking plenty away rather than going and buying the first thing I possibly could.

I was kidding boss, I know you're incredibly successful. ;)

But DirecTV is about on par with a cheap lease, or used car payment...

I am now out of contract with DirecTV. My bill is $148 per month. I called the other day and they are taking $10 off per month for the next 12 months. I figured this coming weekend, I'll call to "cancel" and see how much more they'll take off.

I wish I could use the free streaming option, but with 5 tv's in my house, 3 of which are in the man cave setup for sports only, keeping DirecTV is my best option. It would cost me a lot more money to replace tv's and buy computers and/or devices to run all 5 tv's.

Oh, and my internet bill is $50 per month through TimeSightCast. Might think about switching to AT&T so that I can get that bill included with DirecTV instead of paying a separate bill.

Oh, and my internet bill is $50 per month through TimeSightCast. Might think about switching to AT&T so that I can get that bill included with DirecTV instead of paying a separate bill.

They're separate :(

I have DirectTv and AT&T, they're totally separate for billing and truthfully, most everything. They just have a discount affiliation.

Just sent all my equipment back to WOW over a $60 dispute. 8+ year customer they lost being idiots.2-3 weeks in, i dont miss it much. I'll probably get internet from someone else here soon and a Roku. Might just pay verizon the $20/mo to use my phone as a hotspot since im still on an unlimited data plan.

+1 on "bunny ears"...I thought it was ridic that I was adjusting an antenna in 2014 for my flatscreen but dammit if it isn't a phenominal picture.

We have the "main" screen in our living room set up for local broadcasts thru antenna, but we don't have it hooked up to DVR. Wifey's problem...not mine. Everything else in the house is internet-based as mentioned before (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Plex...)

I will say that if you have kids under the age of 8 years old, just get iPads with a good wifi connection and go get Videomonster, Plex, etc...my kids watch whatever programming they want (and I regulate) and hardly any commercials. We were at my in-laws and I thought my 6yo daughters' head was going to explode from the high-energy Nickelodeon adverts. Glad they aren't bombarded with all of that!

• 1 month later...
Got a letter in the mail that my WOW is going up 10$ per month.. 130$+ per month for basically 2 tv's, hd channels, crap 15mbps internet.

Debating on At&t uverse for 109/ month or dropping cable and getting Roku like my original plan.

just call. our cost after we got the letter actually dropped from what we were paying.