Poor mustang :(

Ryan218

That's interesting you are arguing the value down so they will total it....be careful as whatever you negotiate them down to will end up as your settlement

Because it's not honest. It's not a boss it's just a gt with the 401a package it's was 32k new. They said 25k will total it out since it's a boss and worth 40k that's why I'm trying to make them realize it's just a gt.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's not honest. It's not a boss it's just a gt with the 401a package it's was 32k new. They said 25k will total it out since it's a boss and worth 40k that's why I'm trying to make them realize it's just a gt.

Oh I get it - it is just unusual.

• 4 weeks later...

Verdict is in. She is getting fixed. Just hope the car will

Be the same again.

Just shy of 13k in damage.

Still arguing with ford. Had the axle examined . That's in my favor.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-32.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-33.jpg

Good luck buddy!

To all those advising getting a lawyer: Normally, as a member of the learned (*cough cough) profession, I'd agree. However, proving a defect caused this accident, considering that the car was purchased used (no idea what past owner did) and modified aftermarket, would be a bit sticky. With a good expert witness or two and some really nice clean visual exhibits it might be possible. But since you were not (thank goodness!) injured, the only money at issue would essentially be the value of the car. And Ford would likely fight any product defect suit tooth and nail to avoid setting a bad precedent or even getting bad press. In short, it is likely that the expense of such a suit would outweigh any potential gain.

You could write nice letter (or have an attorney write a nice letter) to Ford telling them about the situation and Ford might decide, rather than have a pissed-off customer raving to the internet about Ford's crappy dangerous axle, to do something for you (probably a discount on your next Ford). But I doubt very much that you could use any legal process to coercively obtain money from Ford.

In summation... This sucks. You have my sympathy. And it sounds like it probably was a defective axle. But I wouldn't spend a lot of emotional energy trying to get your money out of Ford.

It looks like a multi-mode failure. The origin is near the top of the axle shaft in the third picture. Faint lines point to the failure origin. These faint lines are indicative of fatigue mode and the smoother fracture surface on the 1/3 outer radius of the axle shaft seems to be all fatigue.

The rough or pitted-looking area in the middle is caused by brittle fracture. The small spot of rust in the middle may be caused by flash rusting once it's exposed to the air/moisture. The rest didn't rust because, I suspect, gear oil covered the area almost immediately after failure.

The sequence is is initiated at the origin; there was probably a surface imperfection (a nick, a gouge, or any other crack-like feature caused during a manufacturing/assembly process). This creates a stress concentration area which caused fatigue to set in. After numerous cycling of acceleration and deceleration, the crack propagated within area of the smoother surface ring. Once the area was large enough, the last failure mode was brittle fracture which happened all at once. The remaining area was simply overstressed and aggravated by the sharp crack tips surrounding it.

This is a design of a semi-floating axle. In a full-floating axle, such axle shaft failure will not cause loss of control as the hub is retained by the axle housing/tube.

Man, you hit it on the head. I was reading your post and I felt like I was still at work (Dana test lab). I'm assuming you're an engineer?

• 1 month later...
Agreed, new wheels will look awesome.

Hope the car tracks straight-n-true once it's rolling again! FWIW, Our Passat got rear-ended by a drunk driver with barely 2k miles on the odo in 2000. Rebuilt, and still driving strong at 180k miles.

I'm hoping so. Plan to keep the car and just enjoy it.

Make sure the axle shaft is free of defects ;)

In the process of trying to buy a house. Soon as I do it's getting put in the garage and rear end pulled. Need to find someone to weld tubes. If I decided to put gears in it need that done to. Not something I trust myself to do.

Too soon...

Nah. Shit happens. Didn't help I was enjoying the car for what it was made to do but shit happens. Still bitter lol

Glad to hear you're getting it back this week Ryan! I'll plan to swing by the shop sometime to check it out.

Won't be at the shop. Tired of shit getting scratched by people walking by it. Being stored in dublin till I find a house.

Looking good how long did the repair take?

Not long really. Been a lot of waiting on my part for changing parts and such. Plus told them to take there time and do it right. Not on a huge rush to get it back. Time to store it for winter anyways.