If you were buying a truck soon which one would you be interested in?

Got-Boost?

Also not sure I'd spring for the Laramie Limited, over the Laramie w/ monotone paint options. I recall my parents considering the laramie limited and even the "longhorn" cowboy tackiness and it didn't seem like a lot of value there. Perhaps save a few bucks.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably doesn't apply here but a lot of people with the ecoboost trucks get a nasty miss when driving in rain, and Ford is trying like hell to pretend it isn't happening.

Already mentioned in a thread on here and showed with numbers that it's something like 0.0125% that have that problem (may be off slightly, don't care to search since he's not considering Ecoboost). I would hands down recommend the Ecoboost though. Dad test drove everything on the market. Nothing rode better and pulled harder than one of these. Most comfortable/best performing gas truck on the market in our experience. Already hauled multiple full sized trucks and SUVs on a 2,500 lb trailer and you can't even tell when driving. Also made multiple trips to TN and back. SO comfy.

Ram all day. Ride quality is amazing on them compared to the others.

Nice opinion. We'll just disagree to disagree.

Serious question- what would the payment be on a 46k truck...somewhere close to $900 a month?

I would go for the Dodge Diesel. Sounds like a sweet set up with great gas mileage.

Depends on a lot of factors but if you put nothing down and finance it at 48-mo at 3% interest you're looking at $1,018 a month. I would hope no one would actually do that though...

Also not sure I'd spring for the Laramie Limited, over the Laramie w/ monotone paint options. I recall my parents considering the laramie limited and even the "longhorn" cowboy tackiness and it didn't seem like a lot of value there. Perhaps save a few bucks.

For similar options it would be a little cheaper but I honestly hate the chrome bumpers. For what it would cost to paint the bumpers, etc. it's only a little cheaper. I guess it will depend what I can find unless I'd have to order whatever I decide on..

Just curious why are you looking at the Ford V8 and not the Ecoboost?

I'm honestly just not sold on the ECOboost. I like the 5.0 setup and if I need more down the road then a supercharger is only a few $k more than the ECO premium and will make a LOT more power. Currently the fastest F150's on currrent bodystyle are all 5.0 V8's... ;)

I'm honestly just not sold on the ECOboost. I like the 5.0 setup and if I need more down the road then a supercharger is only a few $k more than the ECO premium and will make a LOT more power. Currently the fastest F150's on currrent bodystyle are all 5.0 V8's... ;)

Stock? :)

I would recommend at least taking one for a free test drive. Couldn't hurt.

I'll be driving the new truck here in a few weeks, including the 2.7, and can give you my thoughts on it if you'd like.

So in the Ford, as far as the first year goes, I wouldn't worry about it. Ford knows trucks. I put 80k miles on the two I've had and they never went back to the dealer. My father in law had an 09 and never had a problem with it.

As far as eccoboost. Its a complete joke. My 2010 had whatever V8 they offered that year and got 15.5mpg mix of city/freeway. Just so happens my 12 gets the exact same mileage. Both Platinums optioned identically. Two friends were in the market for f150's last year. They both took my advise and saved the premium and purchased the 5.0 and are getting 2-3mpg better than me. I can barely get over 18mpg just freeway driving. Let alone a mix.

As far as eccoboost. Its a complete joke. My 2010 had whatever V8 they offered that year and got 15.5mpg mix of city/freeway. Just so happens my 12 gets the exact same mileage. Both Platinums optioned identically. Two friends were in the market for f150's last year. They both took my advise and saved the premium and purchased the 5.0 and are getting 2-3mpg better than me. I can barely get over 18mpg just freeway driving. Let alone a mix.

Weird. Dad gets 18.xx-19.xx mixed (daily from Circleville to downtown Columbus) and hit 21.9 driving to Gatlinburg. Got better than your 15.5 while pulling the ExPauldition out to Cambridge too. I think we were at 17-18 IIRC.

Not to mention it pulls a heavier load than the V8, which was a big selling point for him since he hauls on the regular. Hitting that torque at 2,500 RPMs vs. 4,250 helps. More HP, more TQ, better MPGs for us. YMMV apparently.

I too chose to avoid the ecoboost based on research. I also call BS on getting north of 15mpg while towing let alone 17-18. I'm on a few forums and EVERYONE that tows with an ecoboost complains about their 8-11mpg while towing. I have no personal experience with one but my 5.0 gets 12-14 towing. I get 12 with my travel trailer and 14 with the boat. The boat weighs more but the trailer is pushing so much air. This is backed up with over 5000 miles towing all hand calculated and includes plenty of hills in Kentucky/Virginia/west Virginia.

Jam packed truck but not towing I got 19.2 mpg on a 12 hour round trip cruising at 75-80. I was pleased with that.

I also went with the STX because I hate all the chrome.

I too chose to avoid the ecoboost based on research.

"Research". Reading forums can give some insight, but many things need to be considered.

If I were to "research" what vehicle to buy on CR a decade ago I would be led to believe an F-Body is the ONLY car anyone should EVER own. Now look at CR. Wide variety.

I also call BS on getting north of 15mpg while towing let alone 17-18. I'm on a few forums and EVERYONE that tows with an ecoboost complains about their 8-11mpg while towing.

People on forums are always right, always drive the same, always live in the same climates and elevations, and always pull the same amount of weight/type of trailer.

I have no personal experience with one...

I do.

50+ hauling trips. As short as C-ville to Columbus and as long as C-ville to Cambridge or West Union. Pulling a 2,500 lb trailer with multiple items (1997 Expedition, 1978 K10, 2008 CVPI, 2002 Passat, 2001 Jetta, 1999 GMC 1500, 2 different Massey Ferguson diesel tractors with bush hogs attached) and a 12 ft enclosed trailer loaded to the gills with PA equipment. Usually get 17.5ish on shorter trips.

Multiple vacations with no trailer but loaded up. Can see anywhere from 19.xx-21.xx or so. Obviously that can vary a bit.

I have done butt-in-seat research.

...but my 5.0 gets 12-14 towing. I get 12 with my travel trailer and 14 with the boat. The boat weighs more but the trailer is pushing so much air. This is backed up with over 5000 miles towing all hand calculated and includes plenty of hills in Kentucky/Virginia/west Virginia.

Sorry.

Jam packed truck but not towing I got 19.2 mpg on a 12 hour round trip cruising at 75-80. I was pleased with that.

Not bad.

See previous post about trip to Gatlinburg. Fact. Calculated myself. Made 4 round trips. Another one is coming up the week before Thanksgiving. Headed up to a mountain top cabin a friend of ours owns. I'll be sure to vigilantly track MPGs.

I also went with the STX because I hate all the chrome.

I'm not a fan of chrome either.

Not that any of that matters though since the Ecoboost wasn't inquired about in the first place.

Regardless of what other forums or anyone here that hasn't owned one for any length of time says, I'll look to get an Ecoboost eventually. Dad's has performed flawlessly for us.

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion. All I know is what we've learned using one vs. the previous 4 Ford V8's dad has owned since 1997.

EDIT: First page alone shows people getting 13.8 to 22.2. There's a forum for ya. I had to do some of my own R & D and research and development. :lol:

EDIT #2: Lot of people showing 20+ numbers in that thread in different scenarios.

Edited by Otis Nice

Stock? :)

I would recommend at least taking one for a free test drive. Couldn't hurt.

Come on, who keeps anything stock these days... :p

For comparison the fastest full bolt-on ECOboost without nitrous is 12.8 @ 105 (w/nitrous 12.2 @ 109) fastest comparable crew cab with just a Roush TVS is 11.68 @ 118!

What year tundra did you ride in? Just curious what turned you off. I recently test drove all the ones you have listed sans the Eco diesel and nothing stacked up to what I could get my tundra for price and option wise.

My neighbor had a 2010 and picked up a 2013 before the latest update for a great price. I'm sure the updated 2014+ model is better but the engines are the same and it just felt so darn cheap. The seats aren't comfortable at all, I didn't like the dash or control layout, etc..after about 10-minutes of driving it I would NEVER own one.

I'll be driving the new truck here in a few weeks, including the 2.7, and can give you my thoughts on it if you'd like.

That would be great! I'm not interested in the 2.7 but would LOVE to hear about the rest of the truck and updates.. ;)

So in the Ford, as far as the first year goes, I wouldn't worry about it. Ford knows trucks. I put 80k miles on the two I've had and they never went back to the dealer. My father in law had an 09 and never had a problem with it.

Pretty much exactly what my coworkers are reporting. We've got six 2011+ F150's, three GM's and one Tundra at work. The 5.0 guys are getting 20-21 to work and back and the ECOboost guys are getting 16-18 depending on traffic. ECOboost is definitely quicker and better at towing but for a DD not sure it's worth it.

Pretty much exactly what my coworkers are reporting. We've got six 2011+ F150's, three GM's and one Tundra at work. The 5.0 guys are getting 20-21 to work and back and the ECOboost guys are getting 16-18 depending on traffic. ECOboost is definitely quicker and better at towing but for a DD not sure it's worth it.

I have no personal experience with one...but I call BS on getting north of 15mpg while DDing, let alone 20-21. I'm on a few forums and EVERYONE that DD's with a 5.0 complains about their 8-11mpg while sipping coffee in a traffic jam.

:gabe:

I will say I am bias since I own a 2009 Ram 1500, but go with the Ram. Loved mine since the day I got it. It may not be the flashiest thing out there, but it is a truck and gets the job done. I have the 5.7 Hemi and it is a 4x4 model, and on long trips, I can easily get 23-24 mpg with 5 passengers and the truck bed loaded with luggage. Can only imagine what the diesel model can get with that 8 speed transmission.

I will say I am bias since I own a 2009 Ram 1500, but go with the Ram. Loved mine since the day I got it. It may not be the flashiest thing out there, but it is a truck and gets the job done. I have the 5.7 Hemi and it is a 4x4 model, and on long trips, I can easily get 23-24 mpg with 5 passengers and the truck bed loaded with luggage. Can only imagine what the diesel model can get with that 8 speed transmission.

The 8 speed comes on the 5.7L now too.

On the rotary dial shifter subject, I think it does seem odd at first, but you get used to it and for the amount of console space it frees up it's worth it.

The 8 speed comes on the 5.7L now too.

On the rotary dial shifter subject, I think it does seem odd at first, but you get used to it and for the amount of console space it frees up it's worth it.

Not trolling: How does having a big knob vs. a column shifter make a huge difference? What's the benefit to "freeing up space" on the column?

I have no personal experience with one...but I call BS on getting north of 15mpg while DDing, let alone 20-21. I'm on a few forums and EVERYONE that DD's with a 5.0 complains about their 8-11mpg while sipping coffee in a traffic jam.

:gabe:

Hate to tell you but it's common down here in Houston...coworkers are doing it every week. 20-21mpg with my coworkers and the 5.0.. ;)

Hate to tell you but it's common down here in Houston...coworkers are doing it every week. 20-21mpg with my coworkers and the 5.0.. ;)

...it was a joke based on the reply I got after posting our Ecoboost numbers. lol

I don't doubt that. Everyone who hasn't used an Ecoboost doubts my findings though. shrugdon'tcarewon'tcare.jpg

My 5.4l F-150 gets an average of 15-17 mixed MPG with DD duties. Towing my boat to Cumberland I got 9.9MPG there and back running 75MPH. Towing the 2 quads with the bed fully loaded to my cabin in PA I got roughly 17MPG.

I am in the market for a diesel...hope to see better numbers soon!

-Marc

that dodge shift rotary knob.. drove one... I cant.

The most awkward way to change gear ever, but that is all personal preference.

Perhaps 2nd most awkward. The Edsel Teletouch was pretty exciting. With pushbuttons in the middle of the steering wheel, it relied on switches, wiring, and servos to actually change gears. The system was so complex and unreliable, you never knew what, if anything, would happen when you pushed a button. It was akin to Russian Roulette.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/EdsegeershiftStumble3_zps4180e113.jpg

I like the rotary transmission dial on the Jags, but I think on a truck I'd always be reaching for the column shifter lever (if automatic).

I like the rotary transmission dial on the Jags, but I think on a truck I'd always be reaching for the column shifter lever (if automatic).

Fun fact:

The Ram knob (or all the Chrysler knobs) is the same as the Jags, except the Jag is motorized and aluminum.

Nissan is supposed to have an all new diesel Titan in 2015. That's the truck I want.

Supposedly. We've sent a tech to school for it but considering the tools and technology haven't been shipped to dealers yet I'd imagine it will be 2016. Or a very late release 2015.