Looking to start a Harley project

oh8sti

Hey guys,

Im looking into building a bar hopper/brat bike out of a 2007 or newer HD Nightster 1200 w/ a springer front end.

I had a question regarding running the vin on the bike and wondered if there was a way to have that done. Is it similar to car fax ect.?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
There is a company called CycleChex, but it is completely worthless. I checked a VIN on a bike I KNEW had been salvaged title, and it didnt pull up anything. I imagine it has gotten better through the years, but I wouldn't trust it.

• 2 weeks later...

Chances are if a bike has been wrecked in any significant way it would have a branded title as salvage or rebuilt. Bikes these days are so disposable that even a minor low speed lay-down can be a writeoff.

However, Harleys are sometimes the exception because there are customers who will buy a new bike (usually in cash after 10 years of saving) and not insure it for full coverage, and then wreck it and rebuild it slowly over time.

It's pretty hard to hide a wreck on a bike, there are just going to be some things that get scratched up that are too expensive to replace for it to be invisible. Any good shop should be able to tell you if the bike has been crashed.