Lighting For Cars

wagner

So I've hit a point where I need to invest in some additional lighting and support gear.

I have a 430 EXII speedlight, but need more off camera stuff. It seems the speedlight on camera just does not have enough rip to light a car correctly. For detail shots is does ok overall, but just can't seem to get the whole car.

Digging around on the web its hard to find "new" information on what's out there to shoot cars with.

I'm guessing I will need 1 or 2 strobes, soft boxes (not sure on size), triggers, and for going portable a way to power the strobes.

What do the other picture takes use when shooting and what good links do you have to educate us lighting noooooobs?

You can use *Stronger* speedlights if you didn't want to buy strobes and then just pick up stands and large softboxes and maybe a strip. The transmitter / slave set-ups are pretty cheap so that part is easy. Recycle times and such aren't much of a concern for static shots of cars so its just picking a flash that can provide enough light.

I forget his name but the guy that shoots for the G-club that has come out to the shop typically uses speedlights and maybe 2-3 umbrellas IIRC.

Jeff

PS -- Me personally I would use Einstein strobes and really big softboxes with a single strip and play with angles and heights and such until you get the look you want.

You can use *Stronger* speedlights if you didn't want to buy strobes and then just pick up stands and large softboxes and maybe a strip. The transmitter / slave set-ups are pretty cheap so that part is easy. Recycle times and such aren't much of a concern for static shots of cars so its just picking a flash that can provide enough light.

I forget his name but the guy that shoots for the G-club that has come out to the shop typically uses speedlights and maybe 2-3 umbrellas IIRC.

Jeff

PS -- Me personally I would use Einstein strobes and really big softboxes with a single strip and play with angles and heights and such until you get the look you want.

I kicked around going the speedlight route, just did not know if those were going to be enough. I was also not sure about umbrellas vs soft boxes.

What is this single strip thing you speak of?

For cars I'd almost build my own diffuser panels from PVC or other material and rip stop nylon from a fabric store. You could set the flash up on a stand behind it and shoot thru like an umbrella or in front and bounce off it to make some really soft light that shouldn't have any hot spots.

The larger the diffuser compared to the subject and the closer it can get to the subject the softer the light effect. If you put it to far back and/or its to small it just acts like a big flashlight beam giving shadows. The goal of an umbrella is to give a large light source close to the subject to cause light to come in from many angles eliminating directional shadows.

I am doing some serious shopping on this and the numbers hurt for the AlienBee stuff. Between the lights, power supplies, light modifiers triggers, and stands it will be at least $2000.

I have seen people use 2-3 speedlights to shoot cars.

I thought about picking a few of these up, some soft boxes or umbrellas (whatever is better) and seeing what kind of damage I can do:

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Professional-Speedlight-Flashlight-Olympus/dp/B00BXA7N6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414669396&sr=8-1&keywords=speedlights

Just a small word about buying lighting. The Alienbee stuff holds up pricing wise VERY well. YOuc an sell it all for just as much as you put into it.

Alienbee sells packages- which has discounts- But honestly, start with one light and one big modifier and go from there.

Start folliwng Nick Francher on facebook and read his stuff on "one light setups" He's a master one light person (granted he focuses on people but his theoryes can be used on a grander scale)

Also start reading Strobist.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/packages.php

The Genius

2 Einstein™ E640 Flash Units

2 LS3900 13-foot Heavy Duty Light Stands

2 PLM64U-S 64-inch Extreme Silver PLM™ Umbrellas with Buff Speedring

2 PLM64-WFDF 64-inch White Front Diffusion Fabrics

1 CC CyberSync™ Cyber Commander™

2 CSXCV CyberSync™ Transceivers

2 PCBBAG Paul C. Buff™ Single Light Carrying Bags

Total $1501.60

Just a small word about buying lighting. The Alienbee stuff holds up pricing wise VERY well. YOuc an sell it all for just as much as you put into it.

Alienbee sells packages- which has discounts- But honestly, start with one light and one big modifier and go from there.

Start folliwng Nick Francher on facebook and read his stuff on "one light setups" He's a master one light person (granted he focuses on people but his theoryes can be used on a grander scale)

Also start reading Strobist.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/packages.php

The Genius

2 Einstein™ E640 Flash Units

2 LS3900 13-foot Heavy Duty Light Stands

2 PLM64U-S 64-inch Extreme Silver PLM™ Umbrellas with Buff Speedring

2 PLM64-WFDF 64-inch White Front Diffusion Fabrics

1 CC CyberSync™ Cyber Commander™

2 CSXCV CyberSync™ Transceivers

2 PCBBAG Paul C. Buff™ Single Light Carrying Bags

Total $1501.60

Why do you tempt me? I think I will have you help me spend some money on toys soon, that and I have not seen you since the Clinton administration.