Anyone here own a 50bmg gun?

Diamonds

As I think about what I want to do next with my stair-stepping of calibers I am quite convinced that I'd like to buy a 50BMG. With that being said I would like to talk to people about accuracy since I have heard that guns like the M82a1 are more of a "minute-of-jeep" type of gun with regular surplus ammo at 800+ yards.

I would plan on doing 1000+ yard shooting with it and don't want to miss with 4-dollar rounds but be able to hit with 9-dollar rounds. I would just "not buy one" at that point... ya know?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no input about a 50. But there are a lot smaller calibers that are just as capable around 1000 yards or longer.

This.

I also wouldn't step into a BMG (or any serious precision shooting for that matter) without reloading. You're really selling yourself short if you don't.

I have no input about a 50. But there are a lot smaller calibers that are just as capable around 1000 yards or longer.

I just want to diversify my collection of calibers. I have some 308 guns. Looking for something larger (considered 338Lapua).

This.

I also wouldn't step into a BMG (or any serious precision shooting for that matter) without reloading. You're really selling yourself short if you don't.

I have had excellent (luck, I guess would be the word) shooting factory 175G HPBT Ammo out to 1000y pretty consistently to the point where I can tell that any errors are "shooter related". So (as 308 goes) I do not buy into that statement. I do believe that you can create/modify different BC's with reloading. But, I have seen people shoot lights out at 1000 with factory match ammo.

Serious question where I am looking for advice/learning - Do you have experience shooting 50bmg out to (and past) 1000 yards where you have shot surplus, match, and reloaded ammo that would support your statement? (or any round larger that 308?). Do you know anyone that I can talk to?

I just want to diversify my collection of calibers. I have some 308 guns. Looking for something larger (considered 338Lapua).

I have had excellent (luck, I guess would be the word) shooting factory 175G HPBT Ammo out to 1000y pretty consistently to the point where I can tell that any errors are "shooter related". So (as 308 goes) I do not buy into that statement. I do believe that you can create/modify different BC's with reloading. But, I have seen people shoot lights out at 1000 with factory match ammo.

Serious question where I am looking for advice/learning - Do you have experience shooting 50bmg out to (and past) 1000 yards where you have shot surplus, match, and reloaded ammo that would support your statement? (or any round larger that 308?). Do you know anyone that I can talk to?

You don't have to buy into the statement; it's a fact.

Reloading does not change a particular bullets BC. You can, however (as I'm sure you're aware), change bullets which allows you to select the particular BC you're after.

I'm not saying some of the factory 'match' ammo isn't good or consistent. What I'm saying is that if you are truly looking to get into precision shooting, you're missing the boat by not reloading. Everyone who is truly serious about consistency and squeezing out every last bit of accuracy from their gun, reloads. I don't have to own or have shot a 50bmg with various shelf ammo to know this. It's common knowledge in the precision world. However, if all you are looking to do is ring a 2ft gong @ 1k, then by all means, shelf ammo fits your bill. If you're looking to get as small of groups as possible; reload.

There's nothing mythical about shooting a 50 that doesn't apply to 'lesser' calibers. Talk to anyone who's relatively 'into' precision shooting and they could set you on the path you seek.

Hope that helps and good luck.

However, if all you are looking to do is ring a 2ft gong @ 1k, then by all means, shelf ammo fits your bill. If you're looking to get as small of groups as possible; reload..

I guess you dug out what I was really looking to know. Thank you.

Allow me to adjust my original statement by adding "My goal is to shoot a 50bmg towards a 24x24inch plate of steel at 1000 yards. Will factory surplus ammo (3 bucks a round) get that done or must I look into match ammo (9 bucks a round).

Thanks for helping me figure out a more direct way of what I was thinking/asking.

I mean, the sole reason I'm not going with a .408 is the fact that the ammo is 8 bucks per round.

I mentioned 50 a bit back and was ridiculed. (feel free to search for the thread) I hope your quest goes better.

I guess I could assume that.... a lot of the time when someone starts the "i think I want to buy a 50" thread most people jump in with a "you must not know what you are doing" reply or the old "you need to start off with a smaller caliber and work your way up" comment.

I don't buy into that. I say "try it if you want, you cant get experience shooting 50bmg by shooting 308".

Oh well, my quest for help continues. I am dead set on buying a 50bmg gun so long as the 3 dollar surplus ammo can hit 2MOA at 1000 yards...

300wm, 6.5-284, 7mm, and a few others. Ive heard from .50 owners "fun to shoot, worthless to own".

I can't disagree with that, but that 50 smile is nearly impossible to top. I say if you have the money to burn, do it. YOLO!

I still plan on replacing mine at some point. The plus side is, if you have the coin to get one they hold their value pretty well. There is always the next guy wanting to try one out. ;)

I can't disagree with that, but that 50 smile is nearly impossible to top. I say if you have the money to burn, do it. YOLO!

I still plan on replacing mine at some point. The plus side is, if you have the coin to get one they hold their value pretty well. There is always the next guy wanting to try one out. ;)

Exactly... Though the m16 has the same effect!

All of our B4's will not touch our .50's, they don't like missing what they are aiming at. The only time we take our barrets out, is when we want to detrack a Bradley, or immobilize a vehicle at closer range.

Please read.

I'll give credit to the 50, because it is another tool in the bag. Our neighbors to the north and some of the Euro boys like running the TAC-50 and set records with them (Furlong & Perry). Sending a 7xx gr round into something, well, yeah. Hell, Hathcock duct taped an optic on an M2 and went to town, o`rah.

As stated, there are cheaper calibers that can get you there.

Bob,

I will buy a 50 this spring with you. Where are we gonna shoot these beasts at though? I don't think rayners will let us shoot any bigger than a .338 lapua.

TVP

I was originally thinking M82.... But, I might get that AIAX50.... Or even EDM Windrunner

I would strongly suggest you handle and get some field time on those rifles listed before becoming dead set on that caliber. Humping a 30lb boat anchor around and shooting it isn't as fun as you think, especially in matches.

6.5,300 WM, .338LM all offer 1000yd+ capability without the weight penalty.

I would strongly suggest you handle and get some field time on those rifles listed before becoming dead set on that caliber. Humping a 30lb boat anchor around and shooting it isn't as fun as you think, especially in matches.

:yuno:

If he wants a .50, then he's gonna get a .50

That round offers something none of those other rounds can. Huge, hairy, dad balls.

Its one of the most well known, feared and iconic rounds in the world

The shear size makes babies cry.

All in all, if he were looking to split the hairs on osama bin ladens ass, he would go with another round like your mentioning. I think he wants to see a 750 grain round explode a 500 gallon drum of boom boom @1000 yards and pull back from the eye relief and do something like this.. :fuckyeah::fuckyeah::fuckyeah:

Ya get it?

I had considered .408 and 416 barrett (ideal).

Cheaper to shoot 50bmg.... by ALOT. And, can always buy a 416 upper for the M82 if I was feeling froggy.

I have shot 50bmg before from an Armalite Ar50a1. Enjoyed it! I can assure you that I won't be shooting it at a match.

Nate, respectfully, I wish you and others would stop trying to dissuade me for reasons other than my only concerning reason.... "will 3 dollar surplus 50bmg ammo go 2moa at 1K yards".

:yuno:

If he wants a .50, then he's gonna get a .50

That round offers something none of those other rounds can. Huge, hairy, dad balls.

Its one of the most well known, feared and iconic rounds in the world

The shear size makes babies cry.

All in all, if he were looking to split the hairs on osama bin ladens ass, he would go with another round like your mentioning. I think he wants to see a 750 grain round explode a 500 gallon drum of boom boom @1000 yards and pull back from the eye relief and do something like this.. :fuckyeah::fuckyeah::fuckyeah:

Ya get it?

A quote that comes to mind, "The problem with dream girls is that they become real." I have a lot of respect for the 50, but I've had my fair share of range time with them to point out the things that I didn't see. Please take it as two pennies of friendly advice.

Nate, respectfully, I wish you and others would stop trying to dissuade me for reasons other than my only concerning reason.... "will 3 dollar surplus 50bmg ammo go 2moa at 1K yards".

Fair enough, I'll just say records aren't set on bulk surplus/contract rejects. Rifles are systems. Tolerances stack. If the gun was setup for 750gr and you run 6xx gr M33, you won't get what you're looking for. AMAX and Barnes 750gr match grade, the high(er,est) are about 2$ bullet/5-6$ round.

A quote that comes to mind, "The problem with dream girls is that they become real." I have a lot of respect for the 50, but I've had my fair share of range time with them to point out the things that I didn't see. Please take it as two pennies of friendly advice.

I respect your position and your experience.