Educate me - getting rid of cable

caseyctsv

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i dont get these boxes. i mean i can subscribe to netflix hulu etc etc etc on my own. why the heck do i need a box?

To piggyback on this; what will Roku, or others do, that you can't just stream through a XBOX?

Seems to me XBOX has apps for many of the same things. Just add HD antenna.

So, what do you use to browse the web on your tv? Do you hook a laptop up to your tv? Some other device?

I really want to cut the cord. However, I am a college football fanatic. I have 3 tv's set up in my man-cave. I need to be able to watch 3 different games at the same time. If I could use this wiziwig.tv that you speak of on all three tv's, problem solved.

The only problem with wiziwig is that quality suffers horrendously. Sometimes you get lucky and find an HD stream, but usually the bit rate is really low and looks like you're watching a VCR tape. Most games are broadcast via flash media.

As mentioned, i use chromecast to get my browser to the TV. With the new Macbook i just got i can stream any tab or browser window in 720p to my tv with no lag or stutter. You don't need a mac for this, just something with good specs as its pretty process intensive when streaming your entire browser rather than just a youtube video or some other supported media player.

If i could figure out how to get sop cast and ace streams running i could get ANY game in HD via p2p streaming.

To piggyback on this; what will Roku, or others do, that you can't just stream through a XBOX?

Seems to me XBOX has apps for many of the same things. Just add HD antenna.

Streaming boxes are getting really cheap for those that don't want or 'need' a gaming machine. IDK if you get more/better on one or the other. I know the picture quality of the built in apps in our new TV blows away the PC I previously built for the same purpose. I would think the streaming boxes & XBox are similar to our TV.

• 1 month later...
http://www.jetflicks.mobi... you are welcome. best service ever

Bumping this up because I'm dumping U-Verse today and going internet only. I have FireTV Stick and I'm planning on a Roku3 to compliment it.

How legal or not is Jetflicks? Seems shady as crap and you can't even see their cost structure without signing up for a free trial. They sure have a ton of shows and claim them in HD, but I also see that they're not directly supporting the Roku now like they did in the past.

How in the fuck. I'm paying this for 15MB and that was after I bitched them out last year for trying to charge me $70 a month for it.

I have 30mbps from WOW for 30 a month and just hook my computer up to the TV.

If I didn't use my computer I'd get a Fire Stick and be done with it.

Should you use their modem is $7 a mo. Plus just under a dollar in tax and fees. When the $30 expires it jumps to $70 but if you call they will lock you in to $50 for another 12 mo. 30mb for $50 is fair in my opinion, atleast til we get some fiber options or soemthing here.

You realize there is a live cable signal in the wire, right?

Remove filter=free TV. Also, unless they have bullet proof-proof YOU removed it, you cant be charged, fined, or prosecuted in any way. In fact, if they ever find your getting the free signal, they offer you a plan cheaper than advertised just to get you to pay.

I have not had a cable bill in 7+years, 2 different houses later. They get enough of my money from Cell phone and internet use. F the system!

Bumping this up because I'm dumping U-Verse today and going internet only. I have FireTV Stick and I'm planning on a Roku3 to compliment it.

How legal or not is Jetflicks? Seems shady as crap and you can't even see their cost structure without signing up for a free trial. They sure have a ton of shows and claim them in HD, but I also see that they're not directly supporting the Roku now like they did in the past.

it's legal... they started their business streaming for airlines and then decided to go to Android, then Roku, etc....

pricing structure for EVERYTHING is 130 a year... best service ever.... let me know if you sign up because I get a referral.

THE CORD IS CUT....as of 2/2/15, I will be a free man. My bill goes up to $105 a month on DirectTv effective 2/7/15- fuck that.

Nervous- about to add Hulu. What Antenna does everyone recommend? I see 2 on Amazon that look good...thoughts?

Ive had this one for a few months now. We get 28 channels free over the air here in dublin.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/346270/360_Degree_HDTV_Digital_Amplified_TV_Motorized_Rotating_Antenna

Remove filter=free TV. Also, unless they have bullet proof-proof YOU removed it, you cant be charged, fined, or prosecuted in any way. In fact, if they ever find your getting the free signal, they offer you a plan cheaper than advertised just to get you to pay.

I have not had a cable bill in 7+years, 2 different houses later. They get enough of my money from Cell phone and internet use. F the system!

More info please?

-Marc

Ive had this one for a few months now. We get 28 channels free over the air here in dublin.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/346270/360_Degree_HDTV_Digital_Amplified_TV_Motorized_Rotating_Antenna

That goes outside I take it, right? I don't want that thing in my house, haha.

I was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ultra-Thin-Amplified-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B00DIFIP06/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Yaaaahhhhhh Im thinking thats now how that would play out court. Ill leave my filter right where its at.

That goes outside I take it, right? I don't want that thing in my house, haha.

I was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ultra-Thin-Amplified-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B00DIFIP06/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Yes it goes outside. I have mine on my back patio.

The one you posted is a good antenna. My parents have one on their camper and get quite a few channels even out in the sticks.