New guy from Sunbury

Jon1647545566

I'm Jon. I was told about this forum by Carl during a CL deal. Thought I would see what he was talking about.

Here's my background: I grew up in a soutrhern suburb of Dayton, OH where I started teaching myself to work on cars when I was 14. In 1998 I moved to columbus to attend OSU. Graduated w/ civil engineering degree. Stayed in town for awhile till I bought a house and moved up to Sunbury in 2005. I have been here ever since.

I have owned, and built many many cars since 14. My count is currently at 30. I work on them till I finish them or get bored then I sell them and find a new project, at least that seems to be my M.O. I am mostly into pre-1964 cars and trucks. That just seems to be my niche. I do appreciate many of the newer cars, but just haven't really messed with them much.

I was involved with a national hot rod club for a long time and was VP of the columbus chapter and helped arrange a few shows around town. But I have since hung up my car club days and now just go my own way. It's amazing how much more you can get done on your cars when you don't have to worry about that stuff.

Currently I have a 1964 Chevy C10. I suppose it could be called a resto-mod. It remains mostly stock on the outside, but I installed a SBC 350, 700R4 trans, and 4.10 12-bolt, amongst many other modifications. It runs out pretty good and up until it started getting cold, I was using it as my daily driver to Columbus. So far the C-10 seems to want to hang around. Maybe I'm developing a soft spot for it.

I am also working on collecting up parts to throw together some sort of an old 1930's roadster type thing. I am mostly using parts that I have laying around or that I can trade or sell for other parts to get what I need. Low budget little back burner type of thing.

I just need to stay wrenching to keep interested. It's my mental therapy....yet I haven't yet figured out if it keeps me sane or insane.

Hope to learn more about what's going on in my backyard on here and see what other people are out there doing in the area.

That's it for now. Thanks.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/hotrodderguy/1964%20Chevy%20C10/IMG_1682_zpse4fb1c24.jpg

• Upvote 2

Welcome Jon. Pretty sure I've bought some parts off of you before.

Wouldn't be surprising. I am always working on something and have limited space, so I have to unload stuff I'm not using to bring in new stuff. Lot of folks been over to my garage shopping. What car was I working on at the time? It would give me a better idea of how long ago it was.

Thanks for the welcome.

Wouldn't be surprising. I am always working on something and have limited space, so I have to unload stuff I'm not using to bring in new stuff. Lot of folks been over to my garage shopping. What car was I working on at the time? It would give me a better idea of how long ago it was.

Thanks for the welcome.

Don't remember what car :lol:

I just know we bought 3-4 mechanical tachs and 1 license plate.

Welcome, Jon. Great introduction. I think you'll find a lot of kindred spirits here.

Our car shows/meets/track days are a lot more laid-back and friendly than many others in the area. I hope you get a chance to come out to one this spring so you can meet some of the crew.

• Casper unlocked this topic