Guess I should post some pics of the new crib

TimTaylor751647545500

Ha...yeah, really. We kinda lucked out with this place. The attached is 28'x28' with a separate 24' x 16' boat garage (or barn as we call it) with connecting 22' x 16' one car. The "barn" is unfinished with a gravel floor and front & rear barn doors for drive-thru parking. This space has a lot of potential as the roof trusses are nearly 12".

That sounds like it could be turned into a really cool indoor/outdoor space? Finish up the inside a bit more. Maybe a pool table & bar in the 'barn' with a patio right outside with a fire pit. Maybe an outdoor kitchen on the side. I want to build a bigger garage down the road but with the space we have to put it, the best idea I can come up with is a 2 car wide, with 1 of the spaces being 2 cars deep. Then in the negative space, put an outdoor kitchen... even further down the road.

I'm pretty jelly of that garage. Congrats on the new awesome house!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats. The place looks great. Having some space to yourself is nice. We have a few acres, but there is always something that needs done. I had 3 trees fall from the winds last week. If you are on a well, there is always something to do, from shocking it to replacing a pressure tank. If you don't have a home generator, Look into it. I would go at least 20k if you have electric heat and water heater. .

Joe, sorry I missed your reply here.

Man, isn't that the truth. These wind storms mixed with 50 or so poplar trees makes for never-ending yard maintenance. Poplar would have been the LAST tree I would have planted, but they're cheap and they grow fast, so I can understand why they did.

We are definitely on a well, and I'll be looking at shocking it in the Spring along with treating the septic. We've been recently looking at the whole-house generator options as we're solely on electric out here.

Appreciate the suggestions, for sure!

Great minds think alike!

If that's going to be in that 'barn', you should do some of the sliding barn doors for the entrance.

I want to redo our deck into an open/lower one with a few steps out of the house, that goes down into some sort of patio with a fire pit. With where that nook in the garage would be, that would put the outdoor kitchen to the right of all of that as you look out of the back door. That plus some landscaping to 'enclose' the backyard sine we are in the city for a little backyard oasis is my ideal setup in my head right now.

Forgive the overhead view, this was an old google image of the house when it was still being used by the previous owners.

This is a very rough idea of what I have in mind for the patio area. We have two exterior doors going from the laundry area and from the garage (in red) that would be the main entry to the patio from the house. I may make adjustments to the deck to add a set of stairs that face towards the patio area as well.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=919&pictureid=7949

Edited by TimTaylor75

I like it!

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=563&pictureid=7950

Current deck is in yellow, it will stay about where it is. There is a door from the kitchen to the deck on the right side of the deck already.

New patio would be green.

New garage is in dark blue.

Outdoor kitchen in light blue.

Left and right sides of the yard are pretty protected by trees & landscaping from neighbors already, but along the back where the red stuff is needs something. Especially since we cut down some old gnarly 'bushes' it's really open to our neighbors directly behind us.

I've been doing some research and think I'll be going with this heater for the 28x28 attached. Anyone have any first-hand experience with this model or feedback on whether this would be a good option?

Ceiling-Mount Industrial Electric Heater - 7500 Watt, 31.3 Amp, 25,600 BTU

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/316fI%2Bd02nL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A6H1IS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3KT9SPPICUV9K&coliid=I2LBRF2G3H1KL4

not sure that is enough BTU for that size space. From google:

A basic rule of thumb for forced-air heaters is 45,000 Btu to heat a two- to 2-1/2 car garage, and 60,000 for a three-car garage. The makers of low-intensity infrared tube heaters say that 30,000 Btu can heat a two to 2-1/2 car garage, and suggest 50,000 for a three-car garage.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e391/Turbs3000/house_zpsc21d0529.png

You should do one of these, boom.

As for the heater I have no useful info. Assuming you are all electric? I know our shop has a few of those in NG and they heat like a SOB. I would also think that size would be fine I used to heat a 18x10 with just a home space heater and a tiny kerosene heater in the dead of winter at night. I would start in a sweatshirt and jacket and by maybe 30 mins in I was in just a t-shirt and jeans.

Love the table. Congrats on the house. I will check to see what btu rating heater I have for our attached garage. I have a 3 car attached garage, which is probably similar size to your shop, and use a hot dawg heater. My garage is also decently insulated, as my boy's room is above part of it. I keep it at 55degrees no problem.

I've been doing some research and think I'll be going with this heater for the 28x28 attached. Anyone have any first-hand experience with this model or feedback on whether this would be a good option?

Ceiling-Mount Industrial Electric Heater - 7500 Watt, 31.3 Amp, 25,600 BTU

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/316fI%2Bd02nL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A6H1IS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3KT9SPPICUV9K&coliid=I2LBRF2G3H1KL4

Do you have access to 240v where you want to put it?

I have a 3 car attached garage with a New Air electric heater.

Model G73 5,000 watt with thermostat.

It stays at 70 degrees even when it is 20 outside, all walls are insulated.

Right now it is 30 outside and it kicks on about every 30 minutes, hope this helps...

My dad has an old heater he installed in his 2 car that looks almost just like that one. It is AWESOME. Heats it up toasty warm in short time. I mean its not going to be 80 when its 12 degrees out, but you will strip down to a t-shirt if you are working on a car or something. He ran 240 up to a giant switch box so he can cut power to it during the summer.

you can see it up in the corner of this random old pic of my Mustang lol

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/mustang/PICT0597.jpg

Just have to watch snow melt unless you have a central drain...it will run down to the garage door where it will freeze under it.

Edited by iwashmycar

I have a 3 car attached garage with a New Air electric heater.

Model G73 5,000 watt with thermostat.

It stays at 70 degrees even when it is 20 outside, all walls are insulated.

Right now it is 30 outside and it kicks on about every 30 minutes, hope this helps...

Whats you average electric bill during winter? house Sq Footage?

The house is 10 years old 2,500 sq. ft.

Gas heat, electric runs 300 - 350.

The garage doors.. put the Styrofoam panels on,, it helped & also put down thick coin tile flooring ( car has been parked on it for 6 years, no warping )

The most I have had the garage up to when below freezing is 80 degrees, just to see how far it would go.

Summer time have a portable free standing air conditioner,, keeps it at 70 even with the setting west sun on the doors.

Nice place man! Love the table also. We were in the same boat. We wanted to move rural. We're about 12 mins from town/hardware store. Lucky we have municipal water, but still have the septic system. What is killing me is the satelite interwebs, its charged by data. I went from an 100 gigabit fiber connection to satellite 15GB per month. Its an adjust ment.

We moved to a 5 acre wooded lot. I picked up an MS250 and its been put to work....no doubt. Love the saw.

I like the idea you have with the patio but having been in the house towards the end of summer makes me realize anything like that is going to be a pain to maintain (the wood). you're going to have to stain it, protect it regularly. Worry about carpenter bees (my current deck had a few holes I had to repair). Then the amount of spiders making webs and nests between the trusses would suck. Its just a lot of maintenance, and that means time away from other things. The stone work is great. expensive up front but just forgetaboutit.

I'll have to post up some pics of our new hacienda.

As for the heater, do you have propane or natural gas there as well? Couple things; if you don't, I would get your plan for backup power sorted out, with the whole house generator. We use propane for the generator, with a 500 gallon tank. I have a second line off the tank running into my shop, 28'x40'. I heat that with this http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/gas-kerosene-heaters/garage-heaters-and-accessories/vented/75-000-btu-direct-vent-garage-heater/p-2189171-c-6865.htm

We also have two secondary heat sources in the house run by propane. They feed off the same line as the generator. If you are all electric, this is just something to think about, since you are out there a little ways. Or go solar.