FORD. FOCUS. RS.

unfunnyryan

The price ruins the point of a "hot hatch" to me (not that I'm interested in one either way.) I always assumed the idea of one came from being a cheap and quick toy with some cargo capability. This usually means fwd, some corner cut on quality (cheapo interiors mostly), and a bit of focus on handling and driver feel. This is just an expensive, relatively fast small car. We're talking Bimmer money now. Color me "not excited."

I agree..

Prices of cars I feel are just getting astronomical. Granted I make enough to afford one, but I like to live with a nice cushion and I don't like debt. I've never had a car payment and always buy all my stuff full out. (Besides my house and my student loans)

Guess I'm a cheap ass..

• Upvote 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:dumb:

Join the 21st century.

FRS is 26k (151tq lol)

WRX is 27k base now.

GTI with sport pack is 27k. (FWD LOL)

A 228 with sports pack is 35k, a 235i with sport pack is 45k.

STI, Evo, Golf Rs are 35k.

Mustang with Track pack is 35k

Camaro 1LE is 38k

Any car worth a damn is going to be 25-40k...

I get that cars are expensive now. I paid a premium for the G8. Those cars listed are not at all in line with the kind of cars that appeal to the "hot hatch" crowd though. I see spending 25k on a FRS, or 35 on a Mustang/Camaro. Those cars sell like crazy at those prices. The point of the segment the Golf claims to inhabit is (was?) performance on a budget in a car that can still be utilitarian. Not every "driver" wants a Miata. What 35-40K car buyers are considering this thing? IMO it's all internet buzz. They won't sell.

I get that cars are expensive now. I paid a premium for the G8. Those cars listed are not at all in line with the kind of cars that appeal to the "hot hatch" crowd though. I see spending 25k on a FRS, or 35 on a Mustang/Camaro. Those cars sell like crazy at those prices. The point of the segment the Golf claims to inhabit is (was?) performance on a budget in a car that can still be utilitarian. Not every "driver" wants a Miata. What 35-40K car buyers are considering this thing? IMO it's all internet buzz. They won't sell.

You're so wrong, I don't know where to begin.

For starters, a Golf R, STI, and Focus RS will outperform your G8...

I agree..

Prices of cars I feel are just getting astronomical. Granted I make enough to afford one, but I like to live with a nice cushion and I don't like debt. I've never had a car payment and always buy all my stuff full out. (Besides my house and my student loans)

Guess I'm a cheap ass..

Or smart.

Expect a price to match as well. 35-40k I'd think.

The general guess, least on the ST forums, is the car will probably run 40k+. Especially considering a fully loaded ST runs about 30k. Ford said they only planned on bringing a 'limited' number of RSs over to the US, which will also drive the price point up more.

if subaru doesn't get a new engine AND a hatch in the STI, ford will be getting my money

We're pretty close to this as well. Nathan's poor RS is just itching to be retired... He was hoping for the fiesta 2door to come here but I think that's a fat chance for a while

The general guess, least on the ST forums, is the car will probably run 40k+. Especially considering a fully loaded ST runs about 30k. Ford said they only planned on bringing a 'limited' number of RSs over to the US, which will also drive the price point up more.

The reality is they'll have to be competitive with the Golf R and STI in both performance, and price. If it doesn't, its a futile effort IMO.

You're so wrong, I don't know where to begin.

For starters, a Golf R, STI, and Focus RS will outperform your G8...

"Out Perform?" Maybe in the twisties. I've driven a GTI and a couple STIs so I'm familiar with how fun they can be. I didn't buy a tiny little econobox for a variety of reasons. I bought a big fat sedan with a big V8. Sorta apples and oranges there Friend. How many Golf Rs do you see out and about? I've never seen one on the street. How rare are new STIs? 10 years ago you couldn't find a better performance car for $30k than the STI/Evo. Now a V6 Camry runs a 14 second quarter. The value isn't as strong as it once was, which is why these are considered "niche" vehicles.

If they sell more than 4,000 of the Ford or the Golf R in a year I'll eat shit. Contrast that with something like the FR-S or the Mustang or a WRX (cars actually affordable to the segment of buyers targeted) that have sold like hotcakes. Call me wrong, but I'll let sales numbers speak for me.

"Out Perform?" Maybe in the twisties. I've driven a GTI and a couple STIs so I'm familiar with how fun they can be. I didn't buy a tiny little econobox for a variety of reasons. I bought a big fat sedan with a big V8. Sorta apples and oranges there Friend. How many Golf Rs do you see out and about? I've never seen one on the street. How rare are new STIs? 10 years ago you couldn't find a better performance car for $30k than the STI/Evo. Now a V6 Camry runs a 14 second quarter. The value isn't as strong as it once was, which is why these are considered "niche" vehicles.

If they sell more than 4,000 of the Ford or the Golf R in a year I'll eat shit. Contrast that with something like the FR-S or the Mustang or a WRX (cars actually affordable to the segment of buyers targeted) that have sold like hotcakes. Call me wrong, but I'll let sales numbers speak for me.

LOL :dumb:

G8 GT

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2008-pontiac-g8-gt.pdf

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0802_2008_pontiac_g8_gt_first_test/viewall.html

STI:

[/url]

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/sedans/1408_2015_subaru_wrx_sti_launch_edition_arrival/

Golf R

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/reviews/a6325/2015-volkswagen-golf-r-european-spec/

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6898530-Golf-VII-R-review-thread&p=85307475&viewfull=1#post85307475

G8 GT

C&D: 13.8 @ 104

MT: 13.8 @ 102.8

STI:

C&D: 13.3 @ 105

MT: 13.1 @ 104.4

Golf R

R&T: 13.6 @ 105.7

Autocar: 13.4 @ 105.2

Jones, they were released in the end of jan/early feb 2012 in the US, FYI.

Also, are you Dom Torreto? Do you live your life a 1/4 mile at a time? Comparing Camry to any of these focused performance cars, hell, even the lower trims (ST focus, WRX, GTI) is laughable in anything but 1/4 mile.

Sorry meant "my" G8, not one in factory trim. And as I said, I used my personal DD as an example because it was relatively expensive for a 4 year old used car. You gotta pay to play. I didn't use it as an example because I would compare it to a 300 horse awd shoebox on wheels that cost $40k. Hence my quip about the "value" of said super-quick shoebox on wheels compared to a Camry. My G8 is heavy, slow to react and is missing all kinds of creature comforts you can get on even a base Focus, but its comfortable and dead-sexy and I'm faster than 98% of the cars on the road with a stereo that melts faces and an exhaust note that makes your girlfriend moist. You're awful defensive about a car you don't own. You plan to freak on everyone who thinks $40k on a hot hatch is retarded?

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool car. I was worried the days of 400+ hp daily drivers were coming to an end for all but the rich. Cars like this prove me wrong.

Sorry meant "my" G8, not one in factory trim. And as I said, I used my personal DD as an example because it was relatively expensive for a 4 year old used car. You gotta pay to play. I didn't use it as an example because I would compare it to a 300 horse awd shoebox on wheels that cost $40k. Hence my quip about the "value" of said super-quick shoebox on wheels compared to a Camry. My G8 is heavy, slow to react and is missing all kinds of creature comforts you can get on even a base Focus, but its comfortable and dead-sexy and I'm faster than 98% of the cars on the road with a stereo that melts faces and an exhaust note that makes your girlfriend moist. You're awful defensive about a car you don't own. You plan to freak on everyone who thinks $40k on a hot hatch is retarded?

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool car. I was worried the days of 400+ hp daily drivers were coming to an end for all but the rich. Cars like this prove me wrong.

And throw bolt ons to those cars, and they are touching 11s...What is your point? Also, with loaded camry/accords/malibus hitting 35-40k, I'd argue that the value is the same on teh STI/EVO/R as its always been.

Not defensive at all, this is CR, you're new here, get used to it ;)

You're defense mechanism is to call them econobox/shoeboxes. My defense mechanism is to post stats about performance that exceeds your 360hp v8, and they can haul people, stuff, turn better and brake better.

I'm comfortable with that.

Ahhhh, the Dafunk has shown up. I doubt you will end up as cool here as you are over at ClubGP since most of the people on here are not 16-19 year old boys that think you are the coolest thing since the invention of the butt plug.

But you will fit in if you just try not to act like the biggest baddest most gangsta, finest bitch bangin, faster than 98%, and smoke da funkiest of buds dickhead that you are over on ClubGP.

I still remember what you told me over at ClubGP when I called you out for being a internet warrior. You said "columbus is a small place" as in you would see me one day here...I've waited for that day for a long time but it appears that Columbus is bigger than you think...

• Upvote 1

STI touching 11's with bolt on's LOL

Couldn't agree more! Subaru LOL :)

Ahhhh, the Dafunk has shown up. I doubt you will end up as cool here as you are over at ClubGP since most of the people on here are not 16-19 year old boys that think you are the coolest thing since the invention of the butt plug.

But you will fit in if you just try not to act like the biggest baddest most gangsta, finest bitch bangin, faster than 98%, and smoke da funkiest of buds dickhead that you are over on ClubGP.

I still remember what you told me over at ClubGP when I called you out for being a internet warrior. You said "columbus is a small place" as in you would see me one day here...I've waited for that day for a long time but it appears that Columbus is bigger than you think...

:lolguy:

Plus rep sir.

Edited by Aaron

Clearly not. My first pissing match with you turds is about how awesome a $40,000 VW Golf or Ford Focus is or isn't.

If this is a personal thing for you by all means ignore me on here. I'm not interesting in a tiff with some dude who got rubbed the wrong way by something I said on a forum I've been bullshitting on for like 8 years. If it makes you feel any better I have no clue who you are and no memory of threatening you over the internet. I'm hardly some e-thug threatening people if that's what you're implying for your pals here. If you're that worked up about it I suggest developing a drinking problem like the rest of us.

As for my internet ego...I said I didn't get the point of a 40k hot hatch as I always thought the point was that they were cheap and fun to drive. Now they're not cheap and I'd rather drive something else. Nothing more. Where that equates being gangsta or banging bitches or smoking buds I'm not sure.

Edited by Dafunk13

$100 on Chad. KO by the end of round 3.

:popcorn: