I surely can't be the only one...

Geeesammy

Since I spent most of my high school and college career building detailed architectural models I am pretty good at wrapping presents. Still hate it though lol .

I did find that the paper they sell at Lowes is awesome...like using grocery store paper bag. It makes itself look good.

I couldn't wrap presents. When I tried, they looked like a first grader had done it. I would con someone into wrapping for me.

This last summer I attended a wedding and needed presents for two Japanese guests. I decided I would learn what is actually a very intricate art for the Japanese, and it's full of etiquette regarding number of strands, color of paper, how and when the gift should be presented, and the like. I learned from a DVD, bought authentic paper and materials on the internet, and really had a great time wrapping the two gifts. The guests' delight on seeing the gifts was worth all the effort. They carefully unwrapped their gifts (no tape is used), showed people their gifts, and carefully re-wrapped the gifts, to be opened again when they return home. High quality Japanese paper is unlike any handmade paper I'd ever seen here in the U.S.

I probably won't do that again unless it's for someone who really appreciates it, such as someone from a similar culture where it's important to them.

I couldn't wrap presents. When I tried, they looked like a first grader had done it. I would con someone into wrapping for me.

This last summer I attended a wedding and needed presents for two Japanese guests. I decided I would learn what is actually a very intricate art for the Japanese, and it's full of etiquette regarding number of strands, color of paper, how and when the gift should be presented, and the like. I learned from a DVD, bought authentic paper and materials on the internet, and really had a great time wrapping the two gifts. The guests' delight on seeing the gifts was worth all the effort. They carefully unwrapped their gifts (no tape is used), showed people their gifts, and carefully re-wrapped the gifts, to be opened again when they return home. High quality Japanese paper is unlike any handmade paper I'd ever seen here in the U.S.

I probably won't do that again unless it's for someone who really appreciates it, such as someone from a similar culture where it's important to them.

This is actually really interesting, I never knew that was a large part of their culture. I know quite a few things (as far as their culture) as my Aunt is native to Okinawa. I know she always took great care wrapping presents, but I always attributed it to her being very crafty and taking pride in what she did and my Uncle being a Marine for 30+ years. It all makes sense now.

I'm not sure I'd say it's a "large part of their culture," but I think it's safe to say that both etiquette and paper crafts (think origami) are more important elements of the Japanese tradition than they are of western tradition.

This just scratches the surface: http://www.giftypedia.com/Japanese_Gift_Wrapping

http://www.1worldglobalgifts.com/japangiftgivingetiquette.htm

I'm just sitting here wondering "How the heck can you guys NOT wrap shit?".. :lol:

My Mom showed me when I was like 10 and haven't had a problem since... :fuckyeah:

Same.

I wrapped all family gifts since I was about 10 years old, 6 siblings and 20+ nieces/nephews.

Buy the gridded wrapping paper from Target. So helpful in getting things straight.

All of my son's presents are wrapped perfectly with all lines matching, because I'm OCD like that.

Thankfully the last few years I have found groups of young people in the malls wrapping gifts to raise money so that has been my go to. If that's not available gift bag all the way, lol.

+1 This is what I do every year.