2012 gti or 2012 Mazda speed 3

coleyounger3

This is purely my opinion and based on my brother's MK V GTI ownership, Wife's MK V Audi A3 ownership, and several friends with Speed3's.

Couple of questions:

1) stick or manual?

2) are you able to do your own work?

Overall the GTI is a nicer car to be inside of, esp if it has the tartan cloth seats (leather in a GTI? - ick). Even lowered on H&R superlows my wife's A3 rides like a dream.

The Speed3 is the faster angrier car.

The GTI will be more expensive to service and there are some things that will annoy the hell out of you (single stage light bulbs? really?) when you go to do them yourself. There are some service items you have to continually watch out for (Cam Follower, EGR valve, Diverter valve) or replace with upgraded parts. I wouldn't buy a used DSG automatic VW if you paid me to do it in blowjobs from supermodels - if the thing ever needs clutches it's like $3K in parts alone to replace, hence the question "stick or auto".

I don't know what the issues are on the speed3 but I do know if you are looking at a CPO with a warranty you have to be aware that it can only be serviced by a mazda authorized mazdaspeed dealer otherwise your warranty is void (or so I am told). Every dealer will tell you they can work on them, but not every dealer will be able to do warranty work. Other than that join the forums and do the research.

I assume that because you are looking at 2012 you are looking at cars with less than 100K miles. That is good because I wouldn't want to own either car with 100K miles if I didn't walk it there personally for at least half of the way.

So do you want a crap can japanese pocket rocket that makes you think you are going to die from torque steer everytime you mash the pedal or do you want a nice quiet comfy refined german waiting room on wheels that gives you the fizzies when you mash the pedal.

So do you want a crap can japanese pocket rocket that makes you think you are going to die from torque steer everytime you mash the pedal or do you want a nice quiet comfy refined german waiting room on wheels that gives you the fizzies when you mash the pedal.

http://pug205gti.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gti1.gif

Thanks everyone for the advice. I want a stick car just to drive back and forth to work that gets decent mpg and that is fun to drive and I can mod to make more fun. I.can cruise in the challenger with the family I want this for just me. Yea I know my grammar sucks any other car ideas are appreciated max is 20k

Looking at both cars same price same mileage. I want a.fun dd to make the hour long drive to and from work any pro or cons about either car thanks.

You're welcome to come see my 2008 MS3 GT. has everything but Nav. It's going up for sale officially very soon. less than 36k on the ODO and it's in new condition. Puts down 270/290 with an intake and very safe and proven tune. Can be flashed back to stock in 5 mins.

ZERO issues. Will come with Summer and Winter sets of wheels and a 10" Kicker sub and Amp already installed. PM Me for details. Hard to find cars let alone one this clean.

You're welcome to come see my 2008 MS3 GT. has everything but Nav. It's going up for sale officially very soon. less than 36k on the ODO and it's in new condition. Puts down 270/290 with an intake and very safe and proven tune. Can be flashed back to stock in 5 mins.

ZERO issues. Will come with Summer and Winter sets of wheels and a 10" Kicker sub and Amp already installed. PM Me for details. Hard to find cars let alone one this clean.

Gen 1 Speed3's are the best IMO. But I would go with the GTI after owning two VW's.

GTI. Madzas are cheap imported junk.

VAG on the other hand...

:nono:

I am a fan of real Mazdas, ie something Ford didn't have a hand in building.

That said the Speed3 would be a fun car, but I wouldn't mod one, it will blow up.

So if you want to tinker get the Vag.

For your needs, I'd lean towards the VW. I loved selling them and when I had one to test for a week when I was writing, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Also add the ST to your list. Same solid feel, little more exciting look and feel to it compared to the GTI without being too outlandish.

:nono:

I am a fan of real Mazdas, ie something Ford didn't have a hand in building.

That said the Speed3 would be a fun car, but I wouldn't mod one, it will blow up

They don't blow up if modded correctly. The problem I've seen is the ones blowing up are those custom tuning things well beyond what would be safe. My tune has plenty of room left and I know others and identical mods running upwards of 310hp with it and are still safe. I just chose to keep it pig rich and more than safe. Besides, traction is already limited even in the beginning of 3rd.

Your not going to get a ST for 2012 GTI or MS3 money though right!??

I don't know about that....dealers are dumping 2014 new leftovers:

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/now-is-the-time-to-get-a-stupid-cheap-deal-on-a-2014-fo-1680643716/+matthardigree

FWIW, Byers has 3 left over ST's but unfortunately they are not priced like the rest of the country at under $21K.

http://www.byersford.com/inventory/view/2014/Model/Focus%20ST/New/SortBy0/

Base Model ST

FWIW, Byers has 3 left over ST's but unfortunately they are not priced like the rest of the country at under $21K.

http://www.byersford.com/inventory/view/2014/Model/Focus%20ST/New/SortBy0/

ST3 model. Look at the MSRP's...but yeah, I'm sure they could go a little lower

http://www.byersford.com/New-2014-Ford-Focus-ST-Delaware-OH/vd/24553146