2012 gti or 2012 Mazda speed 3

coleyounger3

there is more than one Focus ST? Why?

OP said $20K max for price. A brand new base ST with a warranty for $19K seems like the move vs a 3 year old beaten into the ground MS3 or GTI.

Fancy options!

completely agree.

Bought my 2010 speed3 with 15k and immediately did full intake, access port and test pipe, and a hpfp which is the weak link from the factory, followed by an etune. and have been running 22lbs with no issues for appx. 25k now!

On stock suspension is handles great and rides good. It has great manners on the freeway at speed and does well in traffic under 50mph. Stock brakes are nice and have great initial bite and no fade even under heavy braking. If you want to drive a modded version before purchase or to help sway you either direction pm me.

Nick

Bought my 2010 speed3 with 15k and immediately did full intake, access port and test pipe, and a hpfp which is the weak link from the factory, followed by an etune. and have been running 22lbs with no issues for appx. 25k now!

On stock suspension is handles great and rides good. It has great manners on the freeway at speed and does well in traffic under 50mph. Stock brakes are nice and have great initial bite and no fade even under heavy braking. If you want to drive a modded version before purchase or to help sway you either direction pm me.

Nick

Just curious, what kind of power are you making?

Nick

Rides good, really? You feel and hear EVERYTHING. For a DD and driving any significant miles I would go GTI. If you want a corner carver definitely go MS3. The GTI is just softer, more plush, and more mature. I loved driving my MS3 but my wife absolutely hated it.

Rides good, really? You feel and hear EVERYTHING. For a DD and driving any significant miles I would go GTI. If you want a corner carver definitely go MS3. The GTI is just softer, more plush, and more mature. I loved driving my MS3 but my wife absolutely hated it.

yes , good it could be better its not great! my wife doesnt like it either but that might be the spring rates!

At the wheels I assume? If this is at the crank, then that seems like a lot of boost to add for ~40hp (figuring maybe the stock hairdryer is tiny and stock boost to be somewhere around 12-14psi).
Thats common boost (20-23) for the stock turbos on all of these types of cars. GTIs with tunes are about the same, maybe a hair lower. R as well.

At the wheels I assume? If this is at the crank, then that seems like a lot of boost to add for ~40hp (figuring maybe the stock hairdryer is tiny and stock boost to be somewhere around 12-14psi).

yes atw, and the k04 is junk but spools so damn fast and peters out up top... and the tune is very conservative hopefully e85 will net mid 3's in a few months. Still on the stock turbo.

yes atw, and the k04 is junk but spools so damn fast and peters out up top... and the tune is very conservative hopefully e85 will net mid 3's in a few months. Still on the stock turbo.

The R uses a K04, and doesn't have the "unique" power dive at high RPMs that the MS3/6 do.

The R uses a K04, and doesn't have the "unique" power dive at high RPMs that the MS3/6 do.

pop on a simple and proven safe tune and the MS3 will no longer go flat at 5500rpm nor limit boost in lower gears. :p 15-16psi is the top end of boost for a stock car but it's lower in gears 1 & 2. My tune takes away the boost limiter down low, removes the flats spot up top and pushes boost to 17lbs max. That's the best spot for my mods keep her well in the safe zone AF wise and temp wise so I don't fry the turbo. The first tune I had done had her up to 290/320 but I wasn't comfortable keeping her there so I had it backed down to where she sits now at 270/290. ZERO issues. It also fattened up the mid range torque and makes its a ton more fun around town. 1st is useless and 2nd into 3rd will spin badly if you aren't smart though.